Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 05:30 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
A 19 y/o was shot and killed at a Sunoco in the Salem section of VB last night. That brings their total to 12, compared to 5 at this time last year; also 65% higher than the YTD 3 year average of 6.
Southwest side of The Beach, population ~204,000, has had half the murders this year for a rate of 2.94 per 100k...

NWVB has the highest rate YTD, 4/3.64 (population ~110k)...

The city of Virginia Beach is sitting at 12/2.61; subtracting the ~25k that live below The Green Line, The Beach is at 12/2.76...

One of the things people don't realize, especially given how racial these violence conversations are, is how black The Beach is and how safe it is for black people...

The majority of VB's population lives on the western sides of the city, this includes black people. The NW + SW sides of VB combine for a population of ~314k with a black residency over 68,000---->this means NW/SW is 21.8% black...

There have been 10 murders on the western sides of the city in an area that is 21.8% black (thats 10/3.18 overall and even if all 10 victims were black, that current rate of 14.71 would be lower than nearly all large cities nationwide)....

Now comparably look at cities around the nation with black populations in the 20th to 30th percentile, and look at their violence rates. The Beach remains one of the safest cities nationally for black people, and it has a proportionally large black population to boot. I'll always love this city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 07:28 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

[quote=number 4 mvp;63544204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

Weird thing about this is, if it were not for social media and statistics we probably wouldn't even tell the difference between yesteryears and today.. the only thing IMO different now days are maybe the way people are a bit more careless and opinions are more profound to the point it is imagined fact. Trump gets the credit for speeding up our societies incohesiveness. Now when we introduce statistics like the murder rate is when we see that society is actually twice as bad.
I can definitely tell the difference between 09-13 DC vs today. Obama brought an indirect energy and the atmosphere was very light. It started to leave when Trump came just by default. But like most cities ever since the pandemic the energy left and everybody became on edge and the ski mask everybody use to wear on their head as skullys came down and stayed there even today. All the mask mandate did was encourage the criminals to come out the woodworks. Before the pandemic you never hear about violence toward ride share drivers now they are constant victims. Nightlife is just starting to come back.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:41 AM

97 posts, read 58,382 times
Milwaukee: 89 through 5/31

comparable figure for 2021 was 64, for an increase of 39%

Old 06-02-2022, 07:44 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post

Even before the “raids” and arrests Boston was putting up years in the 30’s more than once.

I would consider you calling people wannabe minority gangsters to be hating because it never not hating to call people wannabes, a non hater ESPN se would be “Boston has done a good job in reducing violent crime” or- “the criminal element in Boston is well contained”but w/e. -you can feel how you want about Boston or whatever just be accurate tho.

Boston last had below 40 homicides in 1999 went they had 31. And that was the only year since the 1960s. So the only murder in the 30s were in 1999 and 2020, after the raids. So twice in the last 50+ years.

My point was in response to overall safety, not the homicide rate. Boston had objectively a moderately high level of crime during the 2004-2012 era. Higher relative to other cities than it had been in the 97-02 era (tail end of the Boston Miracle).

I don't think Portland hadn't ever eclipsed 70 homicides until the pandemic. (I could be wrong) Boston peaked at 152.

Generally Boston is full of things like this that happened last night
More than 60 shots fired in Bunker Hill shootout; nobody hit
"Live Boston reports numerous cars and buildings - but no people - were hit with gunfire during a gun battle that erupted near 50 Medford St. around 10:30 p.m. on Monday.

Police recovered more than 60 spent shells." I dont understand how this happens or what it means.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-02-2022 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-02-2022, 10:45 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Albuquerque just hit 50 homicides today

Old 06-02-2022, 10:55 AM

593 posts, read 667,678 times
Anyone know the figures for Tampa and St Petersburg? I used to track them but gave up this year.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:20 PM

340 posts, read 175,667 times
[quote=boreatwork;63545547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post

I can definitely tell the difference between 09-13 DC vs today. Obama brought an indirect energy and the atmosphere was very light. It started to leave when Trump came just by default. But like most cities ever since the pandemic the energy left and everybody became on edge and the ski mask everybody use to wear on their head as skullys came down and stayed there even today. All the mask mandate did was encourage the criminals to come out the woodworks. Before the pandemic you never hear about violence toward ride share drivers now they are constant victims. Nightlife is just starting to come back.

This is what I'm talking about. How do you know about the rise is violence on ride share drivers without social media or statistics? There is no way to keep track of every single thing that happens, you have to rely on media whether T.V or internet and we all know how information could be controlled. The media would not be able to relay this information to the public without the use of statistics. My point again is you have no way of knowing what is going on with everything, everywhere without the use of this information. You pointed energy being one of the factors you can judge based off feeling while Obama was in office, that's the only way you can tell without data. The hood has always "been on edge", it does not matter if Obama is the president or not. If the stats say crime rates were all the way up from 09-13, you would have a different perspective about those years today... thanks to stats.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:52 AM

340 posts, read 175,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Im not a Boston hater but even the highest tally in the mid 70’s and a 13.3 rate in the last the last two decades is still pretty damn low. Even Portland Oregon cleared that recently and that city had always been the tamest

We have decades worth of stats and Boston does not have any numbers at all. Its a city full of wannabe minority gangsters that don’t get active. Chicago just had a tally in the Month of May what Boston hasnt even racked up in 18+ months. Hartford 6x smaller has a higher tally than Boston right now.

Even before the “raids” and arrests Boston was putting up years in the 30’s more than once.

No offense bro, but I always say the same for CA.. if you doubt the Boston gangstas, my only solution is going there to their neighborhood and letting them know what you think. This is not a diss, thats just how I see it cause alot of these guys got something to prove and it's only fair to give em a chance.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:10 AM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Now comparably look at cities around the nation with black populations in the 20th to 30th percentile, and look at their violence rates. The Beach remains one of the safest cities nationally for black people, and it has a proportionally large black population to boot. I'll always love this city...
It surely is. An insanely low threat of violence of all forms (In 2021, you were more likely to be murdered in Portsmouth than to be robbed in VB...), practically no concentrations of poverty (black poverty rate just below 10%, which is far below the national average of 20% and not a large gap from the city's average of 7%), black median household income at $69k, one of the most racially integrated cities in the country, 5% of businesses black-owned in the area which is top 10 in the country, etc etc. People won't know this because it's not the ”popping” city in Black America.

---

Meanwhile, a man was found shot to death yesterday morning in a parking lot of an apartment complex in the Coliseum Central area of Hampton. Brings their total to 14.

In Chesapeake, a man was shot to death at a Days Inn this morning near the Portsmouth border. That's 13 for the year. Also, 5 people shot yesterday within a 12 hour span in Portsmouth; including one teenager and a woman, two receiving life-threatening injuries.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

[quote=number 4 mvp;63550043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

This is what I'm talking about. How do you know about the rise is violence on ride share drivers without social media or statistics? There is no way to keep track of every single thing that happens, you have to rely on media whether T.V or internet and we all know how information could be controlled. The media would not be able to relay this information to the public without the use of statistics. My point again is you have no way of knowing what is going on with everything, everywhere without the use of this information. You pointed energy being one of the factors you can judge based off feeling while Obama was in office, that's the only way you can tell without data. The hood has always "been on edge", it does not matter if Obama is the president or not. If the stats say crime rates were all the way up from 09-13, you would have a different perspective about those years today... thanks to stats.
There was 58 murders in SE one year one of the lowest in history. You dont need the news to tell when the atmosphere is different. I've been out all throughout the pandemic doing rideshare. I can see the yellow tape, the shootings, the altercations. These things arent on the news as they aren't reported half the time. You see the vagrants taking over in places where there were once crowds of office workers. Im not understanding your logic saying there is no difference if we neglected the stats. Thats saying theres no difference between 1990's DC and today. Not to bring stats back into this If thats the case they wouldnt have lost 20k residents last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City