Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2024, 08:19 PM

17,672 posts, read 15,847,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
Charlotte has four: Uptown, South End, South Park, and Ballantyne

Raleigh has two: Downtown and North Hills:

Yep. And this is why this thread had turned into sheer nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 08:41 PM

4,283 posts, read 3,383,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’m not seeing where LA has more than one downtown within city limits and if it does Century City wouldn’t be in my top 3. It’s a place that nearly every resident or visitor drives to, has little pedestrian activity or pedestrian focused amenities, its main attraction outside of offices is a mall,…I don’t know. In some ways it’s more like a large suburban office park but then again it’s actually a lot like a smaller version of Bunker Hill in downtown LA, so…
I'd say right around here for a secondary DTLA, but then it raises questions if University areas should really be counted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0588...8192?entry=ttu

People like to use academic sounding words like "polycentric" in describing places, but I agree, there's only really DTLA.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:35 AM

1,403 posts, read 969,188 times
Downtown, Midtown Atlanta with Buckhead:

Sandy Springs skyline:

There are also tall buildings in Cumberland, Atlantic Station, West Midtown, and The Old Fourth Ward but I don't know if you can call them separate downtowns. Decatur doesn't have tall buildings but is just 7 miles east of Atlanta and it has a true downtown area.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:08 AM

94,597 posts, read 125,701,098 times
I also think the issue is that the OP hasn't been on here in years. So, they can't explain what they meant by this, unless there is a post early on in the thread that offers an explanation.

With this said, some of the earlier pages of the thread and this touches on what makes up a Downtown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown

So, this is a strict definition, but what I'm curious is if the OP was looking for what are essentially secondary districts that serve a similar purpose like Oakland in Pittsburgh, the Greater University Hill area in Syracuse, South Bethlehem PA north of Lehigh University, Collegetown in Ithaca NY, etc.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-21-2024 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-21-2024, 10:47 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,086,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Can anybody name a city with two downtowns (i.e. a single city, not twins cities like St. Paul and Minneapolis).

Houston has THREE.

Downtown (CBD)

Medical Center (larger than most major US cities main downtown)

Uptown

Old 05-21-2024, 10:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 7,027,795 times
The TMC "larger than major downtowns" thing is wildly misunderstood. For starters, they're only comparing with office space. Downtowns have far more than offices.

Old 05-21-2024, 11:23 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,086,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The TMC "larger than major downtowns" thing is wildly misunderstood. For starters, they're only comparing with office space. Downtowns have far more than offices.

True but the Medical Center is bordered by Rice University and Hermann Park (with many uses) / Museum District.

If cities count urban parks within their downtown, why can't Hermann Park be included as within the Medical Center's realm?

It is one of the most walk-able areas in the city...if not the state

Old 05-21-2024, 12:29 PM

1,403 posts, read 969,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Maybe because there’s another area called Downtown Atlanta in Atlanta? No one said Buckhead/Uptown Houston is the primary downtown of their regions but rather that they act as secondary ones. This is a pretty stupid road to go down.

Only a few other cities have “another CBD” outside of Downtown that are the scale of Uptown Houston/Buckhead (not many).

Your generalizations of these places just being “a few high rises” are just not true and it’s pretty laughable to see you doubling down on it, considering the larger role a place like Uptown Houston plays in Greater Houston.
Yeah, I know some people who visited and thought Buckhead was the main downtown of Atlanta before visiting the actual downtown/midtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYTmjlHf20

It can give that impression with all the tall skyscrapers (lack of people walking in the video on a rainy day).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfHtAsCjlPc

Last edited by ShenardL; 05-21-2024 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-21-2024, 06:12 PM

6,788 posts, read 10,053,665 times
NGL, I did enjoy looking at all the pics and videos, but I am not really sure what clearly defines as a secondary CBD. Is it defined differently depending on the city? Some cities may not have a secondary heavy office core, but they may have a mix of uses. I said this already, but Uptown Dallas or Oak Lawn maybe a 2nd downtown to some, but since they’re basically indistinguishable from each other now. It’s hard for me to say. ALL THE TIME people call Oak Lawn, Uptown, Victory Park, even Cityplace “Downtown”. Usually, it’s from transplants and younger generations who don’t remember or wasn’t around when high-rises didn't really exist north of Downtown.

The only thing that I would say that tries to come close to a secondary CBD is the Las Colinas Urban Center in Irving. It’s right on the border of the Dallas city limit. It is a part of a master-planned community and the Urban Center was planned to be the downtown. This is the best it’s going to get in the suburbs. It has a convention center with a convention center hotel, an entertainment district, light rail stations, office buildings with major employers, dense apartment blocks, and townhomes…which is typical of a CBD. It’s not fully built out yet, but it’s close. It has at least 13,000 residents and covers 1.4 sq mi.

This 11 month old video is already old with a few development projects currently underway on the empty lots remaining.

Skyline in view at 7:10 and 8:27-14:46 is the Urban Center.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=UWhRw...ature=youtu.be

Aerial view

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJj2yH...xhcyBjb2xpbmFz

The closest in Dallas proper to a concentred CBD away from Downtown is Preston Center. It’s the 2nd most popular office submarket in Dallas. It has heavy traffic with all the office space (over 3 million sq ft) and it has a significant amount of retail space too (500,000 sq ft), with Dallas’ only urban Target store. More high-rises are planned to be added over time to give it more of an urban feel (maximum height 350 ft). This is 5 years old and more development have went up since then, but this the only real video that shows an aerial view. Not very big though, about 103 acres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=21N-t...ature=youtu.be

They’re trying to make it more urban, but there’s a lot of hurdles to achieve that. A lot of it coming from the property owners and their dispute with removing the current parking garage in the middle of it.

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-21-2024 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-21-2024, 09:35 PM

169 posts, read 81,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
Charlotte has four: Uptown, South End, South Park, and Ballantyne

Raleigh has two: Downtown and North Hills:

One of them is a rendering of many buildings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City