Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2024, 09:05 AM

764 posts, read 522,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yep. And this is why this thread had turned into sheer nonsense.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2024, 09:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 2,453,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Why?
Because people are just posting areas of cities with few residential 15-20 floor high-rises and 5 over 1 apartments on a main avenue and equating those to secondary downtown(s) and or confusing secondary downtowns with edge or satellites cities either.

I wouldn't call Charles Village a secondary downtown despite it being 3 miles north of downtown Baltimore, and having more high-rises than Johns Hopkins Medical Campus.

Why? Because the JHU campus employees 30k people and has all the caveats of an employment base that size and functions as it's own "hub".

Last edited by Joakim3; 05-25-2024 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-25-2024, 09:31 AM

178 posts, read 84,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Why?

People have different standards of “downtowns” probably.

What could be just random suburb to one person is a “downtown” to another.

The poster responded to downtowns that at one point had buildings seemingly the same height or smaller than buildings in DC. By those standards, how many downtowns does DC proper have? A lot. Then the DC metro area has like 15 downtown skylines when you include places like Eisenhower East which is bigger, taller and more amenities (urban Wegmans, Movies, fairly dense, jobs, etc) than a lot of the downtowns shared here but in this area, I think it’s just referred to as a neighborhood.

And then you have those from an Atlanta who think of things like Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown being 3 downtowns. Maybe add in a couple more as a stretch but. To each their own.

A lot of these downtowns posted would be insanely low dense if you picked it up and plopped it in say San Francisco. There’s not enough space to have that sort of low density.

Last edited by NorthAmerica_US; 05-25-2024 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-25-2024, 10:22 AM

14,432 posts, read 9,359,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
15 years later, this is pretty much what happened.

Here's one of the new light rail stations flanked by high rises:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8739...8192?entry=ttu

It's not impressing anyone at street level, but has what is easily the biggest skyline outside of downtown, visible from miles out on the 52 freeway.
The fact that they had to build pedestrian overpasses from each corner to the light metro station tells me everything I need to know about what it's like to walk around there.

Old 05-25-2024, 10:31 AM

3,686 posts, read 2,453,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The fact that they had to build pedestrian overpasses from each corner to the light metro station tells me everything I need to know about what it's like to walk around there.
I mean to be fair Japan has a pedestrian overpass to get some metro stations. This is Yokosuka, which was a 10 minute walk from my apartment, and a 40 minute train ride south of Tokyo. La Jolla was super easy to get when I lived in the SD, but once you got there, theres definitely is lot to be desired for being a cohesive place one wants to go to.

Imho if pedestrian overpass makes things easier for the public to get to, it's positive, not a negative even if the streetscape itself is not optimized for pedestrians.

Old 05-25-2024, 01:35 PM

94,726 posts, read 125,847,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
In the 80s it was referred to Money Earnin Mount Vernon!

By this measure Pittsburgh would have three downtown areas. East Liberty is more dynamic than both of those Mt Vernon areas. I assumed Mt. Vernon would have built up similar to New Rochelle by now.

https://www.homes.com/pittsburgh-pa/...=plb4c1xrb0ds7

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/p...?adppopup=true
To be fair, Mount Vernon is a city of about 68,000 in 4 square miles. So, the fact it has another relatively major urban center within the city is pretty remarkable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66734466-post275.html

Also, the northern and to a lesser degree, SE portions of the city are more middle/upper middle class.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:04 PM

4,295 posts, read 3,393,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Unfortunately its even worse than it looks, walk west a few blocks from there and you have these awkward freeway off ramp crosswalks:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8721...8192?entry=ttu

But, for better or worse, this is becoming one of the most transit/population dense parts of San Diego so we'll see how it plays out.

Old 05-27-2024, 08:57 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,090,457 times
Houston has at least 6 or 7 and one of the first city to have this concept

Old 05-27-2024, 09:20 AM

941 posts, read 518,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston has at least 6 or 7 and one of the first city to have this concept
Not even close imo. 2 most likely but maybe 3 at max. A few buildings in an office park doesn’t make a downtown. An area has got to have tons of retail, be a major center of commerce, and have the amenities a CBD would have to act like CBD. Really only downtown and uptown achieve this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City