Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 08:58 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,575,396 times

Advertisements

A twist on this question: I wrote a post a while ago about the "vanquished twins" of many US cities , formerly independent cities that were absorbed into faster-growing neighbors -- often an equivalent settlement across the river.

Baltimore, Denver, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee came to mind; their "twin" downtowns of Jonestown, Auraria, Allegheny, St. Anthony, and Kilbourn all declined after their mergers, later offering a uniquely cheap combination of deteriorated, frontier-era buildings within a short walk of the principal downtown. Shunned and looked down upon by the ascendant city’s downtown elite and starved for resources (namely the intra-city transportation links that funneled commuters to the principal downtown), the "vanquished twins" became prime targets for urban renewal, and today their names only resonate for local history buffs.

The only US city that maintains, to this day, multiple administrative downtowns seems to be New York City: no other city in America spans multiple county seats, much less multiple federal court districts. (Odd that most-populous Queens has a singularly un-memorable and low-rise Borough Hall; single-family Kew Gardens will never be mistaken for a "downtown.")

I'm not counting outlying business districts that emerged beginning with the suburban era -- railroad, streetcar, or auto era business hubs for the richer side of town, specializing in entirely different industries than the traditional downtown -- or suburban Edge Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2024, 09:14 PM

8,947 posts, read 6,997,907 times
Some of those adjoining centers get merged in and remain centers in their own right. Oakland, Alexandria, and Newark are some examples on a large scale.

In my area, Ballard used to be a separate town but got merged into Seattle in 1907 and its downtown remains one of the better third-tier centers in the region. Actually it's surging with 4,000 new apartments since the late 90s and a stable employment base including a hospital, a big maritime sector, and a decent amount of tourism due to the Ballard Locks and the National Nordic Museum. I'm not counting Fisherman's terminal across the canal, though that's often said to be in Ballard in an honorary sense.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:56 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,777,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Some of those adjoining centers get merged in and remain centers in their own right. Oakland, Alexandria, and Newark are some examples on a large scale.

In my area, Ballard used to be a separate town but got merged into Seattle in 1907 and its downtown remains one of the better third-tier centers in the region. Actually it's surging with 4,000 new apartments since the late 90s and a stable employment base including a hospital, a big maritime sector, and a decent amount of tourism due to the Ballard Locks and the National Nordic Museum. I'm not counting Fisherman's terminal across the canal, though that's often said to be in Ballard in an honorary sense.
Also Miami Beach

Old 05-29-2024, 10:27 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philly technically has 2 if you're counting "center city" and university city as separate CBD's. 3 including Conshohocken
Conshy is a small-town downtown that got an edge city grafted onto it.

And as far as CBD-ness goes, it doesn't hold a candle to the region's biggest edge city, King of Prussia, just a few miles up the Schuylkill Expressway (I-76).

But it is true that Conshohocken looks more like a downtown than KofP ever will. The latter is an archipelago of office buildings and light industrial facilities with a huge super-regional shopping mall as its biggest island. (I think that American Dream in the Meadowlands may have surpassed it now, but if you removed the indoor amusement park from the Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis, the King of Prussia mall had the most selling space of any mall in the country.) And it's the region's leading high-end fashion destination; Walnut Street in the actual downtown Philadelphia struggles to keep up with it. (That's because the serious money in this region lives closer to it than to Rittenhouse Square — Villanova and Radnor are both just down the road from KofP but a 30-minute train ride into Center City.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 05-29-2024 at 10:51 PM..

Old 05-29-2024, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
University City is an extension of the main one.

Conshohocken looks pretty minimal for this discussion. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...2c24?entry=ttu
More accurately, University City and Center City have grown towards each other.

University City's chief employment center remains the two next-door-neighbor universities that give the district its name. The land to their east, towards (William H. Gray) 30th Street Station, was largely either abandoned industrial/warehouse space or fallow land isolated by the railroad tracks that bracket the eastern part of UC. Then someone figured out that 30th Street Station is both an intra- and inter-regional transportation hub, and next thing you know, developers were putting skyscrapers up around it. Schuylkill Yards, a joint project of one of those universities and the region's (and Austin's) biggest commercial landlord, represents the merging of these two halves of UC.

The land on.Center City's western edge was likewise underutilized; a large railroad viaduct didn't get removed until the early 1950s, and the initial developments on its site were modest in scale, expecially compared to the West Market Street office canyon that emerged in the 1980s and the adjacent Comcast towers. The PECO Energy (originally Philadelphia Electric Company) headquarters at 23d and Market was an isolated tower in a sea of parking lots, but those parking lots are being reclaimed, and the low industrial buildings in the area have been repurposed — one, I think, is getting an overbuild as I type this.

As for Conshohocken, at least it's transit-oriented, as even the aerial photo makes clear. The Schuylkill, which separates the office buildings of Conshohocken (where I've pointed you in the Street View image linked here) from those of West Conshohocken (do a 180 from this same vantage point), also makes this area look less dense and more like a suburban office campus than it otherwise might be. And a lot of the construction around the Regional Rail tracks in Conshy itself is residential buildings and a hotel of 5-8 stories; those buildings obscure the view of the headquarters of Cencora (née AmerisourceBergen), the largest private company headquartered in Pennsylvania. Granted, it poses no threat to the dominance of the other edge-city downtowns we've discussed here, but if you've lived here as long as I have, the transformation is still noteworthy.

Old 05-29-2024, 10:58 PM

3,666 posts, read 2,421,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
More accurately, University City and Center City have grown towards each other.
This. They remind me of a scaled up version of whats happening between Downtown Baltimore, Harbor Point/East & Hopkins Medical Campus.

Old 05-30-2024, 06:31 AM

7,755 posts, read 5,566,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
This. They remind me of a scaled up version of whats happening between Downtown Baltimore, Harbor Point/East & Hopkins Medical Campus.
I'm sure most Meds and Eds cities have some sort of similar dynamic. Philadelphia paid Brookings a decade ago to research how it could compete better in 21st century and it came to the conclusion that connecting the area between 17th street and 43rd street into a singular 'innovation' district could spur more growth. The area in-between has got pretty built up and can look like a singular district from some vantage points: https://i.imgur.com/yKokDI8.jpeg

It's currently got one of the most absurd proposals to fully turn I-76 into a tunnel and build an artificial beach, concert space, and pool out over the river: https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia...treet-station/

Old 05-30-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I'm sure most Meds and Eds cities have some sort of similar dynamic. Philadelphia paid Brookings a decade ago to research how it could compete better in 21st century and it came to the conclusion that connecting the area between 17th street and 43rd street into a singular 'innovation' district could spur more growth. The area in-between has got pretty built up and can look like a singular district from some vantage points: https://i.imgur.com/yKokDI8.jpeg

It's currently got one of the most absurd proposals to fully turn I-76 into a tunnel and build an artificial beach, concert space, and pool out over the river: https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia...treet-station/
I think that Brookings study you refer to also coined a term to refer to this city that I consider quite perceptive:

"Bostroit."

I think most of you can figure out what Brookings Met was referring to when it coined that term.

(And the term was coined well before that article was written in 2017. I think it appeared in another Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program report on Philadelphia's future prospects that came out in the 1990s.)

As for the beach proposal: My guess is that someone here visited Paris, whose Left Bank Expressway becomes a beach on the weekends, and thought it might be a good idea to try that at home.

Old 05-30-2024, 09:10 AM

8,947 posts, read 6,997,907 times
Basically every city in the US has an "innovation district" of some kind (tech, biotech, medical research, satellite college campuses, all of the above). It's common for these to be on the downtown fringes.

Old 05-30-2024, 02:13 PM

264 posts, read 118,601 times
New York City has Downtown brooklyn and downtown Manhattan. With New York City having the biggest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City