Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2024, 09:35 PM

164 posts, read 76,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
Charlotte has four: Uptown, South End, South Park, and Ballantyne

Raleigh has two: Downtown and North Hills:

One of them is a rendering of many buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 09:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 830,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
NGL, I did enjoy looking at all the pics and videos, but I am not really sure what clearly defines as a secondary CBD. Is it defined differently depending on the city? Some cities may not have a secondary heavy office core, but they may have a mix of uses. I said this already, but Uptown Dallas or Oak Lawn maybe a 2nd downtown to some, but since they’re basically indistinguishable from each other now. It’s hard for me to say. ALL THE TIME people call Oak Lawn, Uptown, Victory Park, even Cityplace “Downtown”. Usually, it’s from transplants and younger generations who don’t remember or wasn’t around when high-rises didn't really exist north of Downtown.

The only thing that I would say that tries to come close to a secondary CBD is the Las Colinas Urban Center in Irving. It’s right on the border of the Dallas city limit. It is a part of a master-planned community and the Urban Center was planned to be the downtown. This is the best it’s going to get in the suburbs. It has a convention center with a convention center hotel, an entertainment district, light rail stations, office buildings with major employers, dense apartment blocks, and townhomes…which is typical of a CBD. It’s not fully built out yet, but it’s close. It has at least 13,000 residents and covers 1.4 sq mi.

This 11 month old video is already old with a few development projects currently underway on the empty lots remaining.

Skyline in view at 7:10 and 8:27-14:46 is the Urban Center.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=UWhRw...ature=youtu.be

Aerial view

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJj2yH...xhcyBjb2xpbmFz

The closest in Dallas proper to a concentred CBD away from Downtown is Preston Center. It’s the 2nd most popular office submarket in Dallas. It has heavy traffic with all the office space (over 3 million sq ft) and it has a significant amount of retail space too (500,000 sq ft), with Dallas’ only urban Target store. More high-rises are planned to be added over time to give it more of an urban feel (maximum height 350 ft). This is 5 years old and more development have went up since then, but this the only real video that shows an aerial view. Not very big though, about 103 acres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=21N-t...ature=youtu.be

They’re trying to make it more urban, but there’s a lot of hurdles to achieve that. A lot of it coming from the property owners and their dispute with removing the current parking garage in the middle of it.
Las Colinas is a typical "edge city" - but technically it's "Downtown Irving" rather than "2nd downtown of Dallas", though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Houston has THREE.

Downtown (CBD)

Medical Center (larger than most major US cities main downtown)

Uptown
TMC is just weird...it's not exactly typical "downtown" or even mixed-use district (i.e. Midtown Atlanta, Uptown Houston), no hotels, no high-rise residence, no convention center, no shopping district...but has a skyline that is more impressive than some city's actual downtown and is definitely a huge employment center (albeit pretty much all medical professionals, throw in some bio researchers). Neither Longwood (Boston) nor IL Medical District (Chicago) has that diversity of hospitals, either.

Old 05-22-2024, 11:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,081,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Las Colinas is a typical "edge city" - but technically it's "Downtown Irving" rather than "2nd downtown of Dallas", though .

TMC is just weird...it's not exactly typical "downtown" or even mixed-use district (i.e. Midtown Atlanta, Uptown Houston), no hotels, no high-rise residence, no convention center, no shopping district...but has a skyline that is more impressive than some city's actual downtown and is definitely a huge employment center (albeit pretty much all medical professionals, throw in some bio researchers). Neither Longwood (Boston) nor IL Medical District (Chicago) has that diversity of hospitals, either.

WHAT???

Have you even been the the TMC..there are multiple Hotels, high rise residences and restaurant options mixed in.

They even filmed a reality Show (MAFS- Houston) from a High Rise Residential Tower IN the TMC...they didn't pick a location downtown, or uptown...they picked on eon the TMC

Old 05-22-2024, 12:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 10,028,785 times
Quote:

I feel that. Technically, Irving already has a downtown though. The Las Colinas area is already equivalent to downtown Dallas in terms of office space and the Urban Center was designed to rival downtown 50+ years ago. Most suburbs don’t have clear planning that mimics a downtown. Nothing there can be built in a suburban fashion because of strict deed restrictions. The entirety of the Las Colinas area is deed restricted. Some of the secondary CBDs shown, are dominated by a mall(s) or some other car centric/suburban-style development. I’m not saying Las Colinas is perfect, because there are many things I would fix, but it’s the closest that I’ve seen.

Old 05-23-2024, 02:10 PM

9,740 posts, read 9,527,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackCyr1965 View Post
Charlotte has four: Uptown, South End, South Park, and Ballantyne

Raleigh has two: Downtown and North Hills:

Lol, sure Jan.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:58 PM

7,066 posts, read 19,378,571 times
Jersey City has two: Downtown/Waterfront and Journal Square

Downtown Jersey City:

Journal Square:

Old 05-24-2024, 03:32 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,267,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Jersey City has two: Downtown/Waterfront and Journal Square

Downtown Jersey City:

Journal Square:
Is the Jersey Journal building still standing in Journal Square? I couldn't see or pick it out from all the buildings in that photo.

IIRC, Journal Square is JC's original downtown, and the waterfront/Newport district developed later after the factories that had been there departed. ISTR Colgate-Palmolive had a rather prominent one right on the Hudson, with a big Colgate billboard atop it facing Manhattan.

Old 05-24-2024, 05:30 PM

4,269 posts, read 3,366,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
San Diego actually has 3 CBD's in my opinion. The obvious is Downtown San Diego, but there's also University Town Center, and then there's Sorrento Valley (midrises for the most part, but nonetheless a CBD)...

University Town Center is expected to grow tremendously over the next 5 years.

Also, I know that Seattle has Downtown Seattle and nearby Bellevue is rapidly expanding... the place looks like it has as many cranes as Dubai (okay, i'm exaggerating, but whatever)
15 years later, this is pretty much what happened.

Here's one of the new light rail stations flanked by high rises:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8739...8192?entry=ttu

It's not impressing anyone at street level, but has what is easily the biggest skyline outside of downtown, visible from miles out on the 52 freeway.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:34 PM

7,066 posts, read 19,378,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Is the Jersey Journal building still standing in Journal Square? I couldn't see or pick it out from all the buildings in that photo.

IIRC, Journal Square is JC's original downtown, and the waterfront/Newport district developed later after the factories that had been there departed. ISTR Colgate-Palmolive had a rather prominent one right on the Hudson, with a big Colgate billboard atop it facing Manhattan.
The Jersey Journal building still stands. A 78-story building is planned to be built there, but it will preserve the facade of the JJ bldg.

Downtown has always been downtown (city hall is on Grove Street), but yes the high rise boom on the waterfront started in the 80s. There were some factories but most of the land by the water was railroad yards. The railroads were out of business by the 1960s.

Journal Square was the cultural heart of the city in the mid 20th century. Several large theaters/concert halls, shopping, etc. The Loews Jersey Theater still stands. Some renovations are needed but planned to start soon and it’ll be a 3,000 seat venue for concerts and other events. The city and state also entered an agreement with the Centre Pompidou to open a North American outpost of the famous French modern art museum in Journal Square. Not to mention 5,000 more residential units under construction. Lots of changes to revitalize JSQ.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:30 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,777,432 times
Quote:

There actually are a decent amount of high end hotels in TMC but you’re right that it’s not a mixed use business district. Uptown Houston is more greater as a working, shopping, living district. TMC is just east of rice university and has a high medical student population so it’s been adding dining options overtime. Most of the residential buildings of the area are just East of TMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City