Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,413,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dude, Uptown Houston is as large as Downtown Denver & LA in terms of office space.

There is no way Buckhead in Atlanta is larger, sorry.
Wikipedia has incorrect information. Los Angeles is not included in that list. If you actually click on the link for the source of that statement, you will see it says "it [Uptown Houston] compares in size to downtown Pittsburgh and Denver." There is absolutely no mention of L.A. so somebody added that improperly to wikipedia (which can be edited by anybody on planet earth with a computer).
Source: http://www.uptown-houston.com/info/factSheets/UT_Fact_Office.pdf (broken link)

There is over 50,000,000 square feet of office space in downtown Los Angeles, which is more than double Uptown Houston's 23 million square feet.

http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/1353248048be3847b56cff0c8bc1f2ed/LangEdgelessfr.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1353248048b e3847b56cff0c8bc1f2ed (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,193,487 times
^Certain posters continue to regurgitate the same incorrect facts over and over and over, like Houston is the only city in the US with multiple skylines.....

Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM

882 posts, read 2,255,283 times
Yes, I too once thought that Uptown Houston was comparable to DT LA in terms of office space, up until about 2 months ago. So I really hope all the Houston posters don't go on phrasing that UT Houston is comparable to DT LA, it is an outrageous statement that I would bet, ticks off a lot of people, not just from LA. Plus, its just making the Houston boosters look even more arrogant than they already look.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,955,196 times
Pittsburgh has two distinct downtown areas, not just large business districts.

Downtown, the larger of the two, has 27 buildings over 350 ft tall and is home to the US Steel building which is the 108th largest building in the world. Plus it hosts 8 Fortune 500 companies, tied for 8th in the nation.
Picture-http://sierraclub.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/02/pittsburgh_at_night_istock_00000396.jpg

Oakland, the smaller, has the largest educational structure in the western hemisphere. The Cathedral of Learning is 570 feet tall. The University of Pittsburgh is centered here along with UPMC. And it is over a mile from the Downtown area so there is no confusion that they are connected.
Picture-http://www.virtualoakland.org/images/oakland-aerial.jpg

This picture demonstrating how far apart they are from each other. Also on a final note, Pittsburgh is the smallest city mentioned on here with just over 300,000 residents.. with possibly one of the best two skylines.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,158,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^Certain posters continue to regurgitate the same incorrect facts over and over and over, like Houston is the only city in the US with multiple skylines.....
Oh really now?

Here is a poster from Houston earlier in this thread, and here is his post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LA, Houston, and ATL, IMO, take the multiple "downtowns" prize. Houston and ATL are the most similar, they both have large employment centers in close proximity to their downtowns. Houston's Uptown and Med Center are ~5 miles west and ~3 east of Downtown.

Houston's Uptown is very linear. Uptown essentially a few buildings west of William's Tower (the tall tower in the left portion of the background):
Here is another example of someone giving more than Houston props:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I can't help but go while reading this thread.

The OP asked for a City (Municipality) with TWO DOWNTOWNS. TWO distinct DOWTOWNS. Not an area in the city where there are some commercial buildings, not a mid-rise office park in an adjacent suburb, not even sattellite city downtowns, a SECOND DOWNTOWN WITHIN THE CITY. There are VERY FEW cities in the US that can HAVE this.

LA - Downtown LA and Century City

Houston - Houston has the most lax planning and zoning of any major city, so no building requirements say that high rises MUST be built in a designated CBD like most cities, so this is why you'll see cluster high rises in a different parts than 'downtown'

Atlanta - Standards similar to Houston, but with more neighborhoods bring you multiple ATL skylines and 'downtowns'.

NYC - Brooklyn has a downtown as well has pretty much anything under 60th on Manhattan is 'downtown'

Mind you people, a SKYLINE does not = DOWNTOWN. And, DOWNTOWN does not = skyline.

Go research places like Thunder Bay, Ontario or Budapest, which actually used to be Buda and Pest!!

NOT Seattle, because Bellevue is not in Seattle, it's its own entity.
Can you direct me to the post where someone said Houston is the only city with multiple skylines. Can you? Those exact same words, "Houston is the ONLY city with multiple skylines". If you can find one person (from Houston) in this thread that said exactly that, I will literally Paypal (online money transfer) you $2,000 immediately.

Until then, quit with the exaggerations.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,110,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yes, I too once thought that Uptown Houston was comparable to DT LA in terms of office space, up until about 2 months ago. So I really hope all the Houston posters don't go on phrasing that UT Houston is comparable to DT LA, it is an outrageous statement that I would bet, ticks off a lot of people, not just from LA. Plus, its just making the Houston boosters look even more arrogant than they already look.
we are not arrogant, some of us just don't apprciate the blatant lies that others spread about Houston. Danny and I correct people everyday on the lies .

I don't know why some would think it is okay for other people to come on here and say Houston only has 13 hospitals, or that Uptown is just a mall, but when we correct them we are not putting out the facts for CD we are being arrogant

Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Wikipedia has incorrect information. Los Angeles is not included in that list. If you actually click on the link for the source of that statement, you will see it says "it [Uptown Houston] compares in size to downtown Pittsburgh and Denver." There is absolutely no mention of L.A. so somebody added that improperly to wikipedia (which can be edited by anybody on planet earth with a computer).
Source: http://www.uptown-houston.com/info/factSheets/UT_Fact_Office.pdf (broken link)

There is over 50,000,000 square feet of office space in downtown Los Angeles, which is more than double Uptown Houston's 23 million square feet.

http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/1353248048be3847b56cff0c8bc1f2ed/LangEdgelessfr.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=1353248048b e3847b56cff0c8bc1f2ed (broken link)
I was a bit occupied yesterday since I had a essay due today, so I just went off Wikipedia, when I read it at first, I even had the "how is this possible?" look on my face but went ahead with it anyways after thinking about how Downtown Los Angeles like Downtown & Midtown Atlanta might have some separation despite being the same area (seemingly).

My bad on that, I should have just checked the office space online. I don't know why SouthmoreAve is jumping to conclusions like I was out Houston boosting on purpose, when in reality I was only defending my city (just like you did in your post right here) of misconceptions.
And quite frankly, I am a little bit irritated with the amount of attention Houston has been getting this week, its annoying as hell having to correct people and then making one mistake and people from your own city jumping on you and acting like it was purposely done.

My bad on that though.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,435,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I would just put NY in a class by itself as a mega city no other city in usa can touch it. The whole city is very urban even the areas with out highrise is midrise.
That's not entirely true, a large swath of all 5 boroughs contain areas like this however the whole city isn't very urban, however you are partly true but those Downtown areas N130 listed are easily distinguished from the surrounding areas.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,193,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Oh really now?

Here is a poster from Houston earlier in this thread, and here is his post:

Here is another example of someone giving more than Houston props:

Can you direct me to the post where someone said Houston is the only city with multiple skylines. Can you? Those exact same words, "Houston is the ONLY city with multiple skylines". If you can find one person (from Houston) in this thread that said exactly that, I will literally Paypal (online money transfer) you $2,000 immediately.

Until then, quit with the exaggerations.
Dont be such a drama queen......its common on here, very common.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Dont be such a drama queen......its common on, very common.
I'm not. What I take issues with your posts are just exploitations of posters from certain cities, you have done so repeatedly not only here but also in the Texas forum based off what ONE posters who you seem to think lives in Houston says.

Calling out your post, I found that necessary, since you like to paint the broad umbrella that every (from your lack of differentiating the ones who do) "Houston posters think they are the only ones with multiple skylines".

End game, if you're going to call out something that you have observed make sure its to specific posters, not generalizing every poster from a whole freakin city under the same umbrella. And that is very common, especially on City Data. I hate homers, and I hate people who generalize, and I really work hard on most of my posts and I don't go out of my way to "be a homer" or over boost any of the city's I live in, and its just quite frankly insulting when someone generalizes every poster from your city as such. I find homers to be pathetic filthy hasbacks with no life and nothing to do than sit on an online internet forum trying to freakin put their city in the best light.

So yes, maybe the fact that I view homerism and your vague post really did get on my nerves a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City