Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,072,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
According to Wikipedia:

"Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.[1] Located in the Southeast Houston district of Houston, the center contains 49 medicine-related institutions, including 13 hospitals and two specialty institutions, two medical schools, four nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and other health-related practices. All 49 institutions are not-for-profit."

So are there any other hospitals IN Houston or are they all simply clustered in one area? Because I'm sure if you placed all the hospitals in many American cities within the same district, it would rival the Texas Medical Center.

Atlanta, for example, has the huge cluster of hospitals / clinics / research facilities at Emory University adjacent to the CDC; the mammoth Grady Health Care System downtown; Atlanta Medical Center (level 1 trauma center) just east of downtown in the Old 4th Ward; the Emory Crawford Long facilities in Midtown, the Piedmont Health Care hospitals in Buckhead; and the trio of hospitals that make up the Medical Center complex on the North MARTA line -- Northside, St. Josephs and Childrens Healthcare.

And these are just the facilities in the city -- it doesn't even begin to include all the huge medical centers out in the suburbs, including the VA Medical Center, DeKalb Medical Center, Gwinnett Medical Center, North Fulton Medical Center or Kennestone Health Care hospitals in Cobb County, etc.

GRADY HOSPITAL DOWNTOWN

EMORY CRAWFORD LONG MIDTOWN

PIEDMONT BUCKHEAD

EMORY UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL

EGLESTON AT EMORY

NORTHSIDE HOSPITAL (No. 1 birthing hospital in the world)

ST. JOSEPHS AT NORTHSIDE

CHILDREN'S HEALTHCARE OF ATLANTA

ATLANTA MEDICAL CENTER / OLD 4TH WARD
This sillyness has been gone over 100's of times. The Medical Center is a hub of RESEARCH. There are hundreds of Hospitals outside the medical center, its not the hospitals that make TMC great it is the innovaction that goes on there. Why would you think the medical center was just hospitals? You would have to be seriously blind or must be seriously trolling to come up with that silly argument. The only person I have seen use that other cities have hospitals junk is Kidphilly.

did you really think that the 4th largest city in the US would only have 13 hospitals?

and why on earth would people just decide to put hospitals in one area? common man use your head. If there wasn't a thread linking them, no one would decide to group hospitals in an area in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,133,054 times
Nah I don't think Newsboy is trolling at all, trust me lol. With the attention "Texas Medical Center" gets, its really hard for any out of towners to even imagine that Houston can have other hospitals and & medical districts outside of that.
Admittingly sometimes even I have forgotten hospitals exist outside of there until I have to drive around the area and see the other districts pop up out of no where. LOL.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,091,229 times
I bet to non Houstonians people are thinking God forbid I get deathly ill in any other part of Houston.

I find it humorous yet amusing at the same time. LOLz

Is it me, or are these same people who say "yeah, but if our city had all of its hospitals in one centralized area it would be just as large as TMC" really naive enough to think for a second that America's 4th largest city & 5th largest metro encompassing some 500+ square miles of land is only going to have one central location for hospitals?

Really???

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-20-2010 at 11:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Nah I don't think Newsboy is trolling at all, trust me lol. With the attention "Texas Medical Center" gets, its really hard for any out of towners to even imagine that Houston can have other hospitals and & medical districts outside of that.
Admittingly sometimes even I have forgotten hospitals exist outside of there until I have to drive around the area and see the other districts pop up out of no where. LOL.
he posted himself that the medical center had only 13 hospitals, if he thought that there were only 13 hospitals in a city the size of Houston then he is either stupid or trolling, what else could it be?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Is it me, or are these same people who say "yeah, but if our city had all of its hospitals in one centralized area it would be just as large as TMC" really naive enough to think for a second that America's 4th largest city & 5th largest metro encompassing some 500+ square miles of land is only going to have one central location for hospitals?

Really???

exactly what I am saying. No one could be that silly, so I think they just say that to troll

Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,035,144 times
^^^ What the #&@%#!

According to Wikipedia, Texas Medical Center has 13 hospitals. That's a lot of hospitals! I was just asking how many other hospitals the city of Houston had, and making the observation that if other cities had the majority of their medical facilities clustered in one area, I'm sure they would rival Texas Medical Center.

Believe it or not, H-town and Metro Matt, Atlanta is also a center of medical research, teaching hospitals, clinics, think-tanks and non-profits -- including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The American Cancer Society and, soon, the National Center for Public Health.

Houston did not invent health care in this country. Get off your high pony.

Thanks for the props, DANNYY ... always a nice reminder that SOME Texans aren't so vain.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
^^^ What the #&@%#!

According to Wikipedia, Texas Medical Center has 13 hospitals. That's a lot of hospitals! I was just asking how many other hospitals the city of Houston had, and making the observation that if other cities had the majority of their medical facilities clustered in one area, I'm sure they would rival Texas Medical Center.
and if Houston had that benefit too then the medical center would be ten times as large. Why would you want to cluster all the hospitals in other cities and leave Houston with only 13? And btw 13 is not a lot. In fact there are 3 hospitals just east of the medical center, there are two south of if and a couple west of it, if you push them all together the hospital numbers would double, and that is still not counting all the other hospitals in other areas.

Quote:
Believe it or not, H-town and Metro Matt, Atlanta is also a center of medical research, teaching hospitals, clinics, think-tanks and non-profits -- including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, The American Cancer Society and, soon, the National Center for Public Health.

Houston did not invent health care in this country. Get off your high pony.

Thanks for the props, DANNYY ... always a nice reminder that SOME Texans aren't so vain.
no one is saying that Atlanta isn't a center of medical research. All we are saying is that who would be gullible enough to think that Houston only had 13 hospitals, and they were al squuezed into one area?

I will appologize if you really and truely believed that, but it just seems like trolling to me

Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Did I say Houston had only 13 hospitals? No. I asked how many more hospitals Houston had. And I stand by my assertion: Any city in the country that had that many medical facilities clustered in one area would have a district that rivals Texas Medical Center. That's not taking away from Houston or TMC, it's just a fact. You're making it sound like Houston is the only city in the country that could possibly HAVE such a collection of facilities in one place, and that's patently false. My point was, logically, that Atlanta, or Dallas, or Los Angeles, or Boston, or Chicago, or Miami or any other similarly size metro area most CERTAINLY has the type medical facilities Houston has. But they're just not clustered together, and that's what makes TMC unique. Got it?

I suppose Houstonians look at TMC as one huge hospital, but according to the Internet, the district actually is made up of several independent hospitals, among them:
-- DeKakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center
-- Baylor College of Medicine
-- Hermann Hospital
-- St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
-- The Methodist Hospital
-- Houston Academy of Medicine - Texas Medical Center
-- Anderson Hospital for Cancer Research
-- Texas Children's Hospital
-- Texas Heart Institute
-- Ben Taub General Hospital

Certainly, this is the most impressive collection of hospitals in one location in the world. But the fact remains that other cities have just as many, if not more, facilities that are not so centrally located.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Did I say Houston had only 13 hospitals? No. I asked how many more hospitals Houston had.
no. your very words were:

Quote:
According to Wikipedia:

So are there any other hospitals IN Houston or are they all simply clustered in one area? Because I'm sure if you placed all the hospitals in many American cities within the same district, it would rival the Texas Medical Center.

you are clearly implying that if indeed they are all in one area then houston only had 13, and if Houston only had 13 then other cities would have a bigger medical center because other cities have more than 13 hospitals.

Quote:
And I stand by my assertion: Any city in the country that had that many medical facilities clustered in one area would have a district that rivals Texas Medical Center. That's not taking away from Houston or TMC, it's just a fact. You're making it sound like Houston is the only city in the country that could possibly HAVE such a collection of facilities in one place, and that's patently false. My point was, logically, that Atlanta, or Dallas, or Los Angeles, or Boston, or Chicago, or Miami or any other similarly size metro area most CERTAINLY has the type medical facilities Houston has. But they're just not clustered together, and that's what makes TMC unique. Got it?
you are still hanging on to the foolish argument that TMC is only hospitals. I already told you that it is the research there that makes it special. The Medical Center is not a cluster of hospitals, that is not what makes it unique. You must have taken a heavy dose of the trolling pills today.

and you can say what you like about other cities having the ability to have a medical center rivaling ours, but the fact of the matter is they don't. We do, get over it.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 AM

And I still assert that, other than being clustered in one area, Houston has no more impressive medical facilities than any other similarly sized city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City