Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,212,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Houston has three "downtowns": downtown, The Medical Center, and Uptown.
Four, you forgot the Galleria Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 PM

571 posts, read 1,286,854 times
The Galleria is considered part of Uptown. It used to be called "the Galleria" but it's really grown past just the shopping complex and few office parks around it...

The Texas Medical Center is something else...really a sight.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,639,812 times
There's also Greenway Plaza in Houston

Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,145,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Four, you forgot the Galleria Area.

I wish they would have just combined them all

Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,269,036 times
Cleveland has it's primary city centre, replete with glittering towers and other notable structures and skyscrapers ...
Then, there is the "University Circle District", an important area that is most notable for it's large conglomeration of renowned museums, hospitals, Case Western Reserve University and lush parks.
There is now an emerging "secondary" skyline in this beautiful district ... University Hospitals, Case Medical Centre, has just erected a visually stunning glass structure near the intersection of Euclid Ave. and Cornell Rd.
Additionally, large and prolific structures have been completed, are presently underway and are in the planning stages for this area.
It's very much become Cleveland's secondary city centre ( or downtown ) with a rising skyline.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 07-23-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: x

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM

546 posts, read 1,183,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
My guess is this is a trend that will continue going on and also have similar things in suburbs. It is part of not having one central business district with a hub-and-spoke planning modal and more of a "galactic" model of multiple centers with suburbs of various density in between. The big problem is that transportation and especially mass-transit is designed for the former model and doesn't serve the second type too well in most cases. It is a reason why mass transit isn't utilized as much since it doesn't serve these outer centers of employment well for commuting purposes. These locations should have multiple express bus/rail lines meeting there making mass transit more practical to people who work or live in these centers. Actually commuting from two points outside the central core area in most cities is not practical to take mass transit unless it is in the direction of the central core due to how systems are designed.
I agree with you on that. I went to Los Angeles, and the traffic is horrific. However, I went there on a day when there is little traffic and even traveling at 65 mph, it takes way too long by car to get anywhere. That itself is another problem that conventional mass transit cannot solve LA's problems because it takes too long. If you think it takes too long to get by car anywhere in LA when the highways are mostly clear, then imagine how long it takes to have to wait for a bus then have it drive then having to get off then walk to work off of a bus in LA. That'd take like 3 hours.

Multiple downtowns can increase traffic (like LA that has multiple downtowns) unless they invent some way to counter the effects that plague mass transit systems and their inflexibility. One major deterrent to people taking mass transit is their speed, and the inability to go from A to B non-stop like a car can.

I've heard about something called Skytran. Look it up on Google, it is supposed to be a personal rapid transit vehicle thats extremly cheap to build and it goes 100 MPH, and you tell it on a computer and it takes you there, non-stop without stopping for anyone else so you get there super fast then get off and walk. Then multiple downtowns would be good, even if they had suburbs in between them and you wouldn't need a car.

Last edited by JKFire108; 07-23-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM

179 posts, read 404,985 times
A lot of these posts are showing pictures of tiny cities, claiming they have two downtowns.

An area cannot be considered downtown is it has three buildings or if all of the buildings are just condos with no businesses or restaurants etc.
IMHO, the only places that clearly have 2 or more significantly sized downtowns are NYC, LA & Chicago. I'm sure there are others but I just don't know those cities well.
NYC has - Downtown Brooklyn with Metrotech and the offices around there; Midtown (self explanatory); Financial District (self explanatory)
LA - Beverly Hills/Hollywood Area (cultural center); Downtown LA (businesses etc.)
Chicago - Streeterville; the Loop

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

882 posts, read 2,254,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
A lot of these posts are showing pictures of tiny cities, claiming they have two downtowns.

An area cannot be considered downtown is it has three buildings or if all of the buildings are just condos with no businesses or restaurants etc.
IMHO, the only places that clearly have 2 or more significantly sized downtowns are NYC, LA & Chicago. I'm sure there are others but I just don't know those cities well.
NYC has - Downtown Brooklyn with Metrotech and the offices around there; Midtown (self explanatory); Financial District (self explanatory)
LA - Beverly Hills/Hollywood Area (cultural center); Downtown LA (businesses etc.)
Add Houston, in reality only 2 respective major buisness centers, since the Texas Medical Center, specifies in limited economic sectors.

Downtown is self-expanatory, but Uptown is the secondary buisness center,though still in the top 20 in terms of office space nationwide, as well as the fashion/retail center, major hotel district, and there are many foreign consulates based here. Many shops, restaruants, hotels, residences, some entertainment, and major buisness call Uptown home.

And I think Uptown has enough going for it that it can be considered a downtown by nature. Truly rivals downtown in some aspects, and sometimes beats, so it makes Houston one of the few cities, IMO, where it can say it has 2 respective downtowns.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,885,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post

Atlanta has 3 "downtown" centers...Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead. Each has it's own skyline that could easily pass for a large city and is a major employment center.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM

179 posts, read 404,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta has 3 "downtown" centers...Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead. Each has it's own skyline that could easily pass for a large city and is a major employment center.
Yeah I'm not talking about Atlanta. I'm talking about people who say that Milwaukee has more than one downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City