Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,424,232 times

Advertisements

Galleria and Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM

294 posts, read 661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn2007 View Post
Pittsburgh has the Golden Triangle as well as a second downtown in Oakland.
Oakland is the academic, cultural, and healthcare center of Pittsburgh and is Pennsylvania's third largest "Downtown". Only Center City Philadelphia and Downtown Pittsburgh can claim more economic and social activity than Oakland. The neighborhood is urban and diverse and is home to several universities, museums, and hospitals, as well as an abundance of shopping, restaurants, and students.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Oakland.jpg (broken link)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Oakland_from_air_Pittsburgh.jpg (broken link)

And Downtown of course:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/GatewayCenter.jpg (broken link)http://www.allgraphix.net/Images/Wallpapers/Towns/Downtown_Pittsburgh.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by SewickleyPA; 09-08-2008 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Lots of cities have areas around a university similar to Oakland. I have no doubt those stats are accurate, but you can't really buy much of anything in Oakland such as clothes, household goods, and such like you can in a real downtown that has dept. stores, etc.

Denver, too, has an area like that around the University of Denver. Lots of restaurants, bars, hair salons, Starbuck's and the like, but no dept. stores, Target-ish places or similar. So I didn't 'nominate' it as having two downtowns.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 PM

294 posts, read 661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lots of cities have areas around a university similar to Oakland. I have no doubt those stats are accurate, but you can't really buy much of anything in Oakland such as clothes, household goods, and such like you can in a real downtown that has dept. stores, etc.

Denver, too, has an area like that around the University of Denver. Lots of restaurants, bars, hair salons, Starbuck's and the like, but no dept. stores, Target-ish places or similar. So I didn't 'nominate' it as having two downtowns.
That's funny because the OP didn't lay out how many targets and dept. stores where required for an area to be classified as a "downtown". I would think that being the 3rd largest business district in a large State like PA would qualify as a being a "downtown", but hey that's just me.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,885,167 times
St. Louis kind of does.

There's downtown, and then the suburb of Clayton.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
That's funny because the OP didn't lay out how many targets and dept. stores where required for an area to be classified as a "downtown". I would think that being the 3rd largest business district in a large State like PA would qualify as a being a "downtown", but hey that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis kind of does.

There's downtown, and then the suburb of Clayton.
As you can see, when you start expanding the definition, you get all sorts of places that have more than one "downtown".

Here is a definition from Wikipedia, which is what I was going with:

Downtown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In most other North American cities, "downtown" is the formal name of the neighborhood in which the city's central business district is located.

Oakland is not the central business district of Pittsburgh, no matter how much business is done there. Oakland is the college area. It could be likened to "The Hill" in Boulder. It is not a true downtown.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-09-2008 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM

952 posts, read 3,711,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Can anybody name a city with two downtowns (i.e. a single city, not twins cities like St. Paul and Minneapolis).
Stockholm , Sweden

Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,565,879 times
St. Louis has 2 downtowns, kinda sorta.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM

904 posts, read 2,879,491 times
I'd just like to point out that a few low-to-mid rise office buildings scattered around an expressway in fields of parking lots does not a downtown make. There's gotta be some density. For example, that area around O'Hare is not a downtown. It's just an area where some tall-ish buildings sprung up - many of them hotels - around an airport. You can find those all over the place.

There are some cities with two or more legit downtowns - New York, LA, Atlanta, maybe Houston. But there's not that many, and most of the photos on here depict what I'd call a "vertical office park district," which is not the same thing as a downtown.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,902,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'd just like to point out that a few low-to-mid rise office buildings scattered around an expressway in fields of parking lots does not a downtown make. There's gotta be some density. For example, that area around O'Hare is not a downtown. It's just an area where some tall-ish buildings sprung up - many of them hotels - around an airport. You can find those all over the place.

There are some cities with two or more legit downtowns - New York, LA, Atlanta, maybe Houston. But there's not that many, and most of the photos on here depict what I'd call a "vertical office park district," which is not the same thing as a downtown.
i like how you put "maybe" Houston. uptown houston looks like a downtown from far away but when you get to the ground level it's not urban at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City