Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:01 PM

8,669 posts, read 10,219,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
From my experiences:
Los Angeles and Houston...
what about Phoenix?
It has no real true downtown but all of the suburbs have central business district areas. I remember downtown Scotsdale was almost bigger than central Phoenix. Tempe has the university strip; Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa all have central cities with built up areas so there really could be quite a number in Phoenix
Has it been awhile since you've been to Phoenix? I don't remember downtown Scottsdale ever being bigger than central Phoenix (???); however, I think Phoenix fits the bill with 2 "downtowns". Many people (when flying into Phoenix) have told me that they didn't understand why Phoenix had 2 downtowns (downtown and midtown corridor). That should change with the new projects in downtown; however it seems whenever there is a new proposal for downtown, there is another one to match for central corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,798,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I Love this photo! It makes Century City looks so ominous:

i've been wondering this for like months. To me it looks like the skyline is taken in a reflection of another window, making it appear HUGE. Or are you actually looking at the city straight on??

Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM

35 posts, read 39,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i've been wondering this for like months. To me it looks like the skyline is taken in a reflection of another window, making it appear HUGE. Or are you actually looking at the city straight on??
He's porobaly looking at the skyline straight on but i dont know.

to bad this forum dosent have virtual shrugs

Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,409,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I'm pretty sure it was taken straight on from the Northwest of Century City. I know for a fact it is northwest though. Most likely somewhere along Wilshire Blvd. UCLA is too far, it cant be north of Wilshire or you wouldnt see CC.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 AM

155 posts, read 734,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that of any of the cities cited here, Atlanta fits the criteria better than any.
You have three very distinct skylines within the city limits: Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.
I believe that the latter two have now surpassed Downtown in the terms of aggregate commercial space.
I don't think downtown Atlanta and midtown Atlanta are really distinct anymore.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 AM

109 posts, read 470,673 times
I think just in the city limits for DC probably the CBD "downtown" and then Georgetown in NW DC.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,129,149 times
San Antonio has the Med Center, I-10 corridor, 410 corridor.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

20,540 posts, read 33,686,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Chicago could slightly be considered for this catagory.

On the northwest side by O'Hare there are tons of office buidlings and hotels that all very tall and clutterd together that, when viewed from up above, can somewhat seem like a "second downtown"
I may be very wrong. But I don't think those clusters of buildings around O'Hare is actually the city of Chicago. I believe that's Rosemont. I could be wrong.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,087 times
Default NYC to have 4

NYC actually has a 4th developing CBD...Long Island City (in Queens, across the river from Manhattan) in recent years has had a bunch of high rises, some over 40 stories, with more to come. This includes both residential and office towers.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,844,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
I don't think downtown Atlanta and midtown Atlanta are really distinct anymore.
You're correct. It's pretty much one skyline, with a minor gap or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City