Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,958,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah. Cool. I don't believe San Diego has two downtowns though. I do love DT SD though. Nice, new, lively, and dense.
Great to hear. They say there is another going up, but you'd have to talk to the current San Diegans to find out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM

13,378 posts, read 40,152,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
And which leaves Century City which IS in Los Angeles, so bye-bye to the futility of trying to dismiss LA as a city with more than one skyline.
Re-read my post. I didn't say L.A. should be dismissed as a city, only those downtowns that are not in the city of L.A.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 AM

23,584 posts, read 44,327,793 times
I think that of any of the cities cited here, Atlanta fits the criteria better than any.
You have three very distinct skylines within the city limits: Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.
I believe that the latter two have now surpassed Downtown in the terms of aggregate commercial space.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,958,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Re-read my post. I didn't say L.A. should be dismissed as a city, only those downtowns that are not in the city of L.A.
I think it was just the way your post sounded that made it seem like you were saying this. I wasn't the only one who thought so lol so I don't think I'm totally crazy Either way, I think all can agree L.A. has more than one because....well it does lol.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,267,478 times
I Love this photo! It makes Century City looks so ominous:

And yes, San Diego has multiple Business Districts within its city limits:

Downtown

Mission Valley

Golden Triangle/UTC

Sorento Valley

Can't really find any decent pictures of any of the areas besides Downtown, and I live thousands of miles away, so I can't take pics of them myself .

I know Tyson's Corner, VA outside DC has more office square footage than Downtown Denver or Seattle, but since it's not in the DC city limits, it doesn't count on this list.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,798,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I know Tyson's Corner, VA outside DC has more office square footage than Downtown Denver or Seattle, but since it's not in the DC city limits, it doesn't count on this list.
you think that's the only area outside DC that qualifies as a 'downtown'? There are many, many downtown skylines outside of DC(and if you count office parks there's way more!). But of course, they can't qualify for this thread because they're not in city limits

Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,267,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
you think that's the only area outside DC that qualifies as a 'downtown'? There are many, many downtown skylines outside of DC(and if you count office parks there's way more!). But of course, they can't qualify for this thread because they're not in city limits

Umm no. I have family in the DMV area, and quite familiar with the area.

Off the top of my head, I can also think of:

Just in Arlington County alone, I can think of:

Rosslyn

Crystal City

Pentagon City

If Arlington was a city, they would count.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget:

Reston Town Center (VA)

Columbia, MD

Bethesda, MD

Silver Spring, MD

I-270 Corridor (Rockville/Gaithersburg, MD)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Denver has downtown, with the 16th St. Mall, and Cherry Creek, with the Cherry Creek mall. The 16th St. area is much larger, however.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM

756 posts, read 1,887,323 times
Houston has three prominent skylines. The Texas Medical Center skyline, Galleria skyline, and Downtown skyline. All three are large and many downtowns have smaller skylines than the smallest (Texas Medical Center). They form a triangle in the city and the middle is gradually seeing more highrises (Greenway Plaza and Upper Kirby).

LA also has mutliple skylines. New York is the grand daddy of all skylines as the skyline their is massive and nearly completely continuous. You could say Brooklyn is their second skyline. Dallas has two skylines, though only the downtown could be called large.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 AM

48 posts, read 184,406 times
Pittsburgh has the Golden Triangle as well as a second downtown in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City