Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2022, 03:36 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sandy, the thread title literally says "high-end shopping destinations"... Herald and Union aren't high-end, they're mid-tier.

Can we leave the list to high-end though? The purpose was not a count of every single store. Every city has an Apple store, not every city has an Hermes, that was the fun of it (IMO).
Every downtown does not have an Apple store. Especially a flagship Apple store. How many cities have an Apple Flagship store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 04:56 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Every downtown does not have an Apple store. Especially a flagship Apple store. How many cities have an Apple Flagship store?
Agreed! Apple is a major plus.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
In addition to NYC, SF, DC, Chicago, and Boston having luxury stores downtown, we know downtown Detroit just added a Gucci store. Are there any other cities with luxury stores (if even one) downtown?
Downtown Dallas has the flagship Neiman Marcus, Forty Five Ten and maybe a few other options. Roughly a mile away in Uptown is Stanley Korshak which is a local luxury dept store that has a very impressive approach to customer service and and extensive collection of designer offerings. Houston and Atlanta do not have a comparable collection of central city shopping.

DT Neimans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdC_MOi5Z4
Forty Five Ten:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvkWN4U6iwA
Stanley Korshak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

As for Highland Park Village that was mentioned... it's not just a "suburban" shopping center. It's a registered national landmark with stunning Spanish style architecture and is over 90 years ago.

HP Village:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-AbRCX8Ov4

Legacy West in Plano and Clear Fork in Fort Worth are the outdoor modern new urbanist luxury shopping areas like ROD in Houston and Buckhead Village in Atlanta.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

As for Highland Park Village that was mentioned... it's not just a "suburban" shopping center. It's a registered national landmark with stunning Spanish style architecture and is over 90 years ago.
Highland Village is suburban. I didn't say "just suburban", you added the "just". I also included Rodeo Drive in the post which is the second most popular shopping destination in the US, so I'd think I made it pretty clear that I didn't say any HV or any of those places as "not nice". MD asked about tradition city center shopping areas. HV doesn't qualify there but it does qualify for being good for what it is. What the video you posted didn't show is the parking lot and surrounding areas. Highland Village being suburban doesn't take away from it being nice. And it being nice doesn't take away from it being suburban.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:03 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
I give up with you man... You know what I meant.
The thread is listing/discussing high-end shopping destinations. I made a simple critique that creating a list of every single retailer in every large city would, A. Take forever, and B. Defeat the purpose of the thread.

Is Walgreens a better example? Or how about Staples?... This forum sometimes...

Old 09-09-2022, 08:26 AM

44 posts, read 29,346 times
French luxury department store retailer Printemps opening first US store in New York; gearing nationwide expansion

https://www.voguebusiness.com/compan...first-us-store

Old 09-09-2022, 09:35 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
The thread is listing/discussing high-end shopping destinations. I made a simple critique that creating a list of every single retailer in every large city would, A. Take forever, and B. Defeat the purpose of the thread.

I only said that because a Flagship Apple store is pretty exclusive on an international level. Only world-class cities have them. I was being serious when I asked how many downtown’s in America have them. Do you know? I don’t have the numbers.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:22 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:

I will note that Apple products:

• have more status cachet than their competitors'

• also cost more than their competitors', although Samsung Galaxy cell phones have narrowed the gap

Apple stores, even non-flagships, definitely have more status than either Walgreens or Staples outlets.

Kansas City's, fwiw, is on the Country Club Plaza (a non-flagship). You've seen me post about that place enough to understand its significance.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:48 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Looks like Boston is also getting a Patek boutique—inside Long’s Jewelers, joining LA and Miami:

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...234728588/amp/

Old 09-10-2022, 07:58 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I will note that Apple products:

• have more status cachet than their competitors'

• also cost more than their competitors', although Samsung Galaxy cell phones have narrowed the gap

Apple stores, even non-flagships, definitely have more status than either Walgreens or Staples outlets.

Kansas City's, fwiw, is on the Country Club Plaza (a non-flagship). You've seen me post about that place enough to understand its significance.
I guess you missed my point too. My post wasn't meant to diminish Apple or it's significance.

Montclair (a great contributor) shared an old list of every retailer in SF and said we should make an updated list.

My critique was that this thread focuses on high-end retail / shopping destinations, think Hermes, Fendi, Cartier, etc. Creating a list of every retailer in every major city would A. Take forever, and B. Defeat the purpose of the thread. I used Apple as an example because it's found in most major cities. I should have said Staples or Gap or Old Navy to make my point clearer.

I'm amazed how my point went over so many poster's heads. I guess that is the risk of online interactions vs. face to face.

Last edited by cpomp; 09-10-2022 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City