Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think Philly has a perception problem. I think it has more of a "woe is me, why am I not as popular as the cities around me?" problem, or at least it does on City-Data. IRL I think any stigma Philly has is mostly limited to the rest of the country's perception of Philly sports fans. Overall, though, I think people think it's a cool city with lots to do, but just not on the level of NYC, DC, LA, SF.
It certainly is not on the same level of, out-of-control, homelessness that SF and LA are right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:42 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
Quote:
I don't think Philly has a perception problem. I think it has more of a "woe is me, why am I not as popular as the cities around me?" problem, or at least it does on City-Data. IRL I think any stigma Philly has is mostly limited to the rest of the country's perception of Philly sports fans. Overall, though, I think people think it's a cool city with lots to do, but just not on the level of NYC, DC, LA, SF.
I think a lot of Philly people C-D defend the city, but many of us are happy we are not as popular (to live in) as other East Coast cities. Most of us prefer to keep the cost of living low. I don't see a woe is me, more just surprise at some people's ignorance about the city's revival.

I agree we are not on NYC or LA's level (I am good with this). I think Philadelphia is right in the same tier as DC and SF.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
As someone who in the past few years has traveled to several cities which have bad perceptions and have found each and every one of them fascinating and great places to visit I now ignore those perceptions- coming mostly from people who have never been to them or who just don’t like cities.

We were in Philadelphia for a wedding last October and absolutely loved it, easily one of the best cities in the country. I hope to visit it again often and felt it is one of just a handful of cities in the country that I would greatly desire to live in.

I feel most cities conform to what I call the 20/80 rule, that there is generally about 20% of a city that encompasses its best parts and attributes, that which is great to visit and/or live in (if you like cities) and the other 80% is meh (suburbs) to awful or even dangerous. If a city has a great 20 and I can easily avoid the 80 then I am gonna like that city.

Philly easily has a spectacular 20% and other cities that often have at least a partial bad perception that I still think have a great 20% (or more) after visiting them include St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and most recently, Chicago. These are fantastic cities because they each offer a unique culture, arts, architecture and setting that are all great to explore.

That these cities easily beat my expectations of them are a testament to ignoring those curmudgeons who have nothing but bad things to say about them. None were dangerous feeling, unfriendly or difficult to discover elements and people in them that made for a wonderful experience. Enough so that I now am more than curious about what Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati and other often disparaged cities are all about. I am determined and excited about finding out for myself.

Don’t believe the perceptions you hear, experience it for yourself!
Glad you had a good time... Philly is an underappreciated gem, no doubt.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:36 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I think a lot of Philly people C-D defend the city, but many of us are happy we are not as popular (to live in) as other East Coast cities. Most of us prefer to keep the cost of living low. I don't see a woe is me, more just surprise at some people's ignorance about the city's revival.
Yeah, I don't know about that. There have been multiple threads over the years with posters lamenting the fact the city is not viewed the same way as Chicago or Boston.

Quote:
I think Philadelphia is right in the same tier as DC and SF.
Let's be serious here. DC and SF are global cities. Philly is not. Those are facts. Doesn't make it better or worse.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Philly is not even close to having the worst perception problem. Baltimore probably loses more than any other city when you compare its reputation to its offerings. You have a city full of walkable neighborhoods with beautiful mid-19th century housing stock situated on the East Coast. Yet the perception of the city is influenced mostly by The Wire and the Freddie Gray riots. There's a whole generation of suburbanites whose image of Baltimore for decades will be a city set aflame. Philly gets rather good press, but you don't hear B-more spoken that highly of here or anywhere.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know about that. There have been multiple threads over the years with posters lamenting the fact the city is not viewed the same way as Chicago or Boston.

Let's be serious here. DC and SF are global cities. Philly is not. Those are facts. Doesn't make it better or worse.
Kind of like how every city has posters lamenting how another poster views their city. The forum is full of debate and lamentation.

Oh I was being serious. If you're looking at the Global Power City Index as "facts," then sure. Otherwise it's subjective. Metro GDP is comparable. Philly is the only city of the bunch with World Heritage status. So the word "tier" is quite subjective. And you're right, doesn't make it better or worse.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Kind of like how every city has posters lamenting how another poster views their city. The forum is full of debate and lamentation.
I'm sure San Francisco has ZERO posters complaining about that. NYC has virtually none. LA has some complaining about how the city is viewed as a sprawl mecca, but that's about it. DC has 2 posters complaining about how DC doesn't get enough recognition for Go-Go and its celebrity chefs, but that's about the extent of it.

Quote:
Oh I was being serious. If you're looking at the Global Power City Index as "facts," then sure. Otherwise it's subjective. Metro GDP is comparable. Philly is the only city of the bunch with World Heritage status. So the word "tier" is quite subjective. And you're right, doesn't make it better or worse.
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Philly is closer to Atlanta, Dallas or Seattle than it is to DC or SF.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm sure San Francisco has ZERO posters complaining about that. NYC has virtually none. LA has some complaining about how the city is viewed as a sprawl mecca, but that's about it. DC has 2 posters complaining about how DC doesn't get enough recognition for Go-Go and its celebrity chefs, but that's about the extent of it.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Philly is closer to Atlanta, Dallas or Seattle than it is to DC or SF.
ZERO? It only takes a quick search of the forum to find lamenting posters of any city. It's the name of the game here on City-Data.

Philly's built environment, metro gdp, population (city/metro), public transit, history, amenities, and so forth make it a tier above all of those fine cities. Doesn't make any of them better or worse.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:44 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:

I agree we are not on NYC or LA's level (I am good with this). I think Philadelphia is right in the same tier as DC and SF.
I am not in that bunch. I don't expect or necessarily want Philadelphia to be like NYC (certainly not DC), but I want Philadelphia at the stage of its awesome "just because"

NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Miami to your average person are cool or great "just because", people move to them "just because", people visit them "just because".

Philadelphia is well regarded by most and that image is improving, but its not at the "just because" level yet. I want it at that level.

Quote:
ZERO? It only takes a quick search of the forum to find lamenting posters of any city. It's the name of the game here on City-Data.

Philly's built environment, metro gdp, population (city/metro), public transit, history, amenities, and so forth make it a tier above all of those fine cities. Doesn't make any of them better or worse.
Agreed. It seems like some posters only base the "importance" of a city by how high its ranked on an alpha scale or corporate presence.

I don't care what anyone says, Philadelphia city and metro is world class full of history, culture, amenities, architecture, walk-ability, good transit, amenities, etc. It is 100% on par with (or closer to in measurement) SF and DC and even Chicago.

Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle, etc. are great cities, but they are in a different weight class.

Its hard to change peoples mind, but I lived in Philadelphia, now Manhattan, I have extensively explored every major city and metro in the US and Philadelphia is 100% in a tier with SF, DC, Chicago and Boston, especially from a metro standpoint.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It is 100% on par with (or closer to in measurement) SF and DC and even Chicago.
You just said people don't go there "just because" so how could it be on par with those cities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle, etc. are great cities, but they are in a different weight class.
From a recognition standpoint, isn't Atlanta arguably in a higher weight class? Sure, Philly is a more walkable city, but as you said, nobody is moving there "just because." And it's overshadowed by so many other walkable cities anyway.

But Atlanta is the "Black Mecca" and the current capital of hip hop music. It has something to distinguish on the global stage. Can Philly say the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City