Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 10:22 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Comcast's X1 seems to be a big hit, enough to build a taller skyscraper than their current headquarters for their innovation lab. The system is impressive that both major cable providers in Canada have adopted the technology.
Comcast is becoming its own tech ecosystem and is taking an active role in fostering tech startups here.

But I have a dirty little secret for you: Yes, the second Comcast tower is taller than the first, but they have the same number of usable floors - and the extra height of the second tower is due to a stupid building trick (specifically, a lit spire on the tower's west end that rises above the roofline of the original Comcast Center).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:25 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Philly is already getting more expensive, trust me that you don't want it to have a better perception.
Well, there's still a good chunk of the city that's still depopulated from mass suburbanization, large tracts of land that were bustling due to formerly massive manufacturing sector that can be re-adapted and a mass transit backbone that can be pretty easily adapted to accommodate a lot more people.

Philadelphia can take a steady rise to 2 million pretty easily, I think.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:31 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
From reading the comments on this site, I have come to learn that New Englander's would have you believe they all live in castles on the rocks overlooking a rocky shore like a Norman Rockwell painting. While crappy Philadelphians are banging rocks together under an overpass.
They get very upset when you point out that Boston's poverty rate is still over 20% and mere percentage points away from Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Boston is perceived as a much safer city and the crime rates do back that up, but it isn't like bad things never happen in Boston either like multiple being stabbed downtown last night. In my opinion, DC has the best 'perception' compared to reality. Some people don't realize how high DC's crime rates are, and others will try to tell you that only bad things happen in the Southeast which isn't true.

I have met people with a wide variety of opinions about Philadelphia. The city's politics are often polarizing and your opinion on certain issues goes a long way in terms of defining your perception of the place if you haven't ever been here or if you have been here very little.

I often find that older blue collar people (like a lot of Pennsylvanians) hold an extremely negative view of the city. I spent most of my childhood in a pretty rural area of PA so I have a good sense of what people think imo. I believe the disdain comes from the fact that the cities they grew up with have disappeared. It was due to the industrial nature of the cities. Philadelphia, Trenton, Camden, Wilmington, Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem, Reading were all prospering thriving cities that helped define America before deindustrialization (to make sure I spelled this correctly I typed it into google and literally the top photo on Wikipedia is a picture of Bethlehem Steel). Afterwards, the inner cities were largely neglected and left to rot. As the working class neighborhoods shrank (and continue to) the people living there would take their resentment with them.

So in short, I think Philadelphia does have a bad perception with some people for deserved reasons, but those same people often overlook and don't give Philadelphia the credit for actually offering a ton of really cool things that can compete with any other city. It also is gentrifying a ton with crime rates at 40-50 year lows. I truly believe that the younger generations will grow up with a better perception of the city. So on that note, I need to go out and enjoy myself

Philadelphia at one time was called The Miracle on the Delaware. Who knows maybe it will be again one day.
This video is a great view of what the cities were like post-WW2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNYd_t7KtsY
No... DC has done A LOT of cleaning up over the years. Its reputation was pretty awful for years and it hasn’t been until recently that it’s been included with the NYCs and San Frans of the world. With that said, SE is really the only biggest crime problem left in the city. NW which is where 80% of the gentrification has taken place has seen their crime go down exponentially, when you look at a crime map of DC, SE and some parts of NE are where majority of the crime happens.

No matter what the city is, people don’t pay millions or $6000 a month for 400 sqft in the hood. Perception is powerful but it’s not that powerful, prices can’t be that high in high crime areas, it just doesn’t work. Similar to NYC, you have to do the work to get crime somewhat down in conjunction with having a high paying job market if you want to attract people.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
The Boston Marathon bombing makes me want to stay clear from New England. Interestingly Metro Boston has not been growing, but New England has stagnated regionally.
Oh, come on. The bombing was a one-off, Boston is very safe. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it is also booming. I was just there last weekend, and there are massive construction projects around the City. Parts of New England are also doing quite well, and are anything but stagnant.

Blanket statements are never a good idea.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
That's because the demographics are NOT similar. Baltimore's demographics are similar to Memphis.
If the racial makeup of the population is the sum total of city demographics, you are absolutely right. I tend to take a broader view that includes incomes, education, job classifications, age of housing stock, etc. I guess you can say that all majority black places are the same - therefore Camden, Baltimore, Detroit, Gary, East St. Louis, etc. are all the same. St. Louis itself is only 48% black, and therefore a different kind of place. And it goes without saying that, at only 42% black, Philadelphia isn't even relatable.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
If the racial makeup of the population is the sum total of city demographics, you are absolutely right. I tend to take a broader view that includes incomes, education, job classifications, age of housing stock, etc. I guess you can say that all majority black places are the same - therefore Camden, Baltimore, Detroit, Gary, East St. Louis, etc. are all the same. St. Louis itself is only 48% black, and therefore a different kind of place. And it goes without saying that, at only 42% black, Philadelphia isn't even relatable.
Maybe it is me? But I do not think a 42+% African-American vs 48% is a big difference to claim St Louis is much different to compare? Even housing... both chilies had their massive boom periods late 1800s early 20th centuries. Yes Philly has neighborhoods in and near its core that have housing back to the 1700s and examples before. But even there infill to replace much to match even ... came in to replace the lost.

But Philly's history in our early Nations development surely is unique to it compared to St Louis and size. No city has Philly's 60+% as attached row-housing neighborhoods. But in the Midwest St Louis has a good % that survived urban renewal attempts in past decades. Populations certainly are not comparable to a Camden, or Gary and East St Louis is a suburb basically in St Louis metro as Gary is for Chicago and Camden for Philly.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:29 AM

385 posts, read 400,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, there's still a good chunk of the city that's still depopulated from mass suburbanization, large tracts of land that were bustling due to formerly massive manufacturing sector that can be re-adapted and a mass transit backbone that can be pretty easily adapted to accommodate a lot more people.

Philadelphia can take a steady rise to 2 million pretty easily, I think.
Yes, Philadelphia can take a rise to 2 Million...it had that population i think in 1960 or 1970 i think. Then after that the population decreased.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Yes, Philadelphia can take a rise to 2 Million...it had that population i think in 1960 or 1970 i think. Then after that the population decreased.
It had a little more than 2 million inhabitants at its population peak in 1950.

Go back through the Census figures and you might note that most of the "Rust Belt" metropolises posted their peak populations in that same decennial Census.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
The Boston Marathon bombing makes me want to stay clear from New England. Interestingly Metro Boston has not been growing, but New England has stagnated regionally.
Wait... What?

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...my-in-the.html
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...onomies/21697/
GFCI 19 The Overall Rankings
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...ups-again.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rica/34991163/

Just some recent stories that were top of mind when I read your comment. GDP, income levels and affluence, steady growth, high impact verticals. There are very few rankings that Greater Boston would score poorly on other than COL.

What have they been feeding you down in Houston?

Last edited by mwj119; 06-04-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Maybe it is me? But I do not think a 42+% African-American vs 48% is a big difference to claim St Louis is much different to compare? Even housing... both chilies had their massive boom periods late 1800s early 20th centuries. Yes Philly has neighborhoods in and near its core that have housing back to the 1700s and examples before. But even there infill to replace much to match even ... came in to replace the lost.

But Philly's history in our early Nations development surely is unique to it compared to St Louis and size. No city has Philly's 60+% as attached row-housing neighborhoods. But in the Midwest St Louis has a good % that survived urban renewal attempts in past decades. Populations certainly are not comparable to a Camden, or Gary and East St Louis is a suburb basically in St Louis metro as Gary is for Chicago and Camden for Philly.
I would say when measuring populations, 6% is a sizable difference. I also do not think Philadelphia is that comparable to St Louis in almost every metric due to the size and economic differences.

Of course they both have a colorful industrial past, but that isn't enough to warrant a realistic comparison. If you are comparing Philadelphia to St. Louis, then we might as well compare your beloved Chicago to St Louis too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City