Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I think any city that once had a major decay problem has a hard time recovering its image. NYC did so quickly because of how mindbogglingly huge it is on the world stage. In fact, some people forget that NYC was a total hell-hole not too long ago.

For example, if Detroit ever truly recovers into something nice, it will have a massive uphill battle to fight for its image.
Also, the extent to which NYC improved is mindboggling compared with any other city in the U.S.. It now pretty consistently has the lowest murder rate (and I think violent crime) of any city in the U.S., and it had a lower murder rate than London did next year. If it goes down much more, it will be ahead of Toronto as well I believe. But that's what an improved economic landscape will do. It is really unlike anywhere else in the country. While it has a few similarities to Philly, Boston, and to a lesser extent, Chicago, the city I always felt was closest to it overall was London, far and away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
That's because the demographics are NOT similar. Baltimore's demographics are similar to Memphis.
Right. "Surprisingly" similar is a stretch. I didn't really know Baltimore had that many Puerto Ricans or Italians for example. That's because it doesn't.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Right. "Surprisingly" similar is a stretch. I didn't really know Baltimore had that many Puerto Ricans or Italians for example. That's because it doesn't.
What do you mean?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
What do you mean?
That the demographic makeup of Philly vs Baltimore isn't really that similar. Philly is much whiter for one (significantly) and Baltimore is much less diverse even in terms of ethnic groups within one race.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,666 times
I don't hear people talk about Phily much, the people who bash Phily or praise Phily the most is the people who live in the Philadelphia metro area. My cousin in Deleware talks about New Yorkers more than Philadelphians.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's because Baltimore and Philly aren't similar at all really. They're (technically) not even in the same region of the country.

How did Baltimore get dragged into this thread anyway?

Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
The answer is a resounding YES

Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Have you all done the hop-on hop-off bus tour of Philly? If not, then be sure you do that when you visit.

It will change your opinion of the city.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Not in this poster's experience.

Philadelphia doesn't even make the list of cities I've heard carry a bad rep.

In no particular order

Baltimore
Detroit
St Louis
Memphis

I don't have a negative opinion of any of these. I've only spent considerable time in Detroit and I love it there. Philadelphia is near the top of my US cities I want to visit list.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:02 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's because Baltimore and Philly aren't similar at all really. They're (technically) not even in the same region of the country.

How did Baltimore get dragged into this thread anyway?
Physically, they are very, very similar---legions of distressed row house neighborhoods as far as the eye can see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City