Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 PM

26 posts, read 31,270 times
As silly as it may be, the show Parking Wars changed my perception of the city and not for the better. I loved that show tho.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
Well, considering the photo that showed the Neanderthal eating fresh horse manure off the street, I'd say yah, it has an image problem.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
I’ve heard “Killadelphia” too.

David Lynch hated it when he lived there.

I mean it’s perception problem is based on lunatic Philly sports fans, and while the downtown is nice (Center City), it’s easily he least friendly city I’ve ever been to. People almost seemed freaked out to interact with a stranger. That part was really weird. I’d still say it’s better than Los Angeles though.
Lynch is such an expert about Philly. Lol.

Lynch lived in Philly in the late 60s. Not a great time for the city. The funny part of that is the neighborhood he lived in, Fairmount, is a mostly changed area filled with tons of millennials, families with young kids and pretty expensive housing.

Also when Lynch lived in Fairmount there was a prison in the heart of a primarily residential community, Eastern State Penitentiary. Today it is a museum and draws lots of tourists. Something that would likely surprise Lynch no doubt.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Sadly, the perception problem still even persist in this state and nearby ones. The OP mentioned "Filthadelphia". No one said the worst perception issue as the second post of the thread began with. Not the worst (though subjective) most agree. This thread had a long run in less then a year. Sports and Philly fanatic fans ...... that still is prevalent too in a big degree. Do not wear another teams colors and logo there still. IMO Especially outside the core.

Basically, the perception persist.... though less so especially in Philly's core and most gentrified areas and fringe more suburban-like ones. Still visited gain a perception thought visual things they pick up on. If their visit is in the revived areas .... it should be mostly positive. Outside it can get tarnished quickly yet.

Even LA can, and all the issues SF has been getting late too. But LA is still a glorified Cali-lifestyle, Hollywood and Beverly Hills. SF the Golden Gate and colorful history and bay to Silicon Valley nearby.

Philly clearly is on the upswing in renewal and spillover of NYC transplants who are educated and a thriving University scene. It has developed a nice skyline that stands out today. But some issues still can't be kicked quite yet....
Dave, I'm very torn. Some posts, I think you are very coherent and even eloquent in your words. Others, I'm not sure what you're on about, especially when it comes to Chicago homerism.

This post, the former. 100% agree.

I'm already all over this thread from a few months ago. But, It seems like a lot of people from Philadelphia either accept or dispute the reputational issue, while those from elsewhere certainly acknowledge it exists. I'm in Philadelphia this week for work, and even in 2018 when I told our Chicago office where I was traveling, people reacted with "Oh, sounds fun..." or "Philly!? What's in Philly!?". Being a converted Northeasterner, I know better than to simply agree, and typically tell people that the city has actually come a long way. But, to pretend like there's not a perception problem, is...wishful thinking?

Last edited by mwj119; 05-16-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I don't think so the only city that's more dangerous than Philly that IMO gets a relative pass for it's crime is D.C.

Every other city other than Chicago which gets milagned more than it should because if it's scale, gets a pretty fair rep IMO.

Nashville is another city that's Crime gets overlooked.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don't think so the only city that's more dangerous than Philly that IMO gets a relative pass for it's crime is D.C.

Every other city other than Chicago which gets milagned more than it should because if it's scale, gets a pretty fair rep IMO.

Nashville is another city that's Crime gets overlooked.
Bailtmore and Newark

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bailtmore and Newark
Baltimore is like the 3rd most dangerous city in the Country it isn't exaggerated

Old 05-17-2018, 12:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onxyknight85 View Post
As silly as it may be, the show Parking Wars changed my perception of the city and not for the better. I loved that show tho.
Hatred of The Philadelphia Parking Authority is the one thing that unites all Philadelphians from every neighborhood and every background. They are a corrupt, patronage racket that bilks residents out of millions of dollars every year.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Not the best but far from the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City