Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 AM

837 posts, read 852,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How often are we going to hear all these wonderful things about Philly being better than Boston, yet number of visitors and hotel rooms in Boston beat Philly. How often have we seen national stories and very high achieving people come out of Boston? Puritans vs Quakers makes a difference. Look at all the shows and movies set in Boston vs Philly. Philadelphia will never, ever have the national profile of Boston. You can count on that.
While I didn’t even see it coming, THANK G-D THE EAGLES BEAT THE PATS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 01:45 AM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
I am curious. I was just in Philly and have been many times. I find it to be a great American city. Yet anytime I talk to someone and tell them I am going to Philly the responses are always the same. "I'm sorry," "why," Filthadelphia?

I don't think it warrants it. Certain cities do. I live in the Chicago area and the stereotype of Chicago in the winter(outside of this past winter)is pretty spot on. I always tell people, don't come Dec- March if on pleasure, unless during Christmas time, its pretty well decorated and beautiful if into that .

Do others agree or disagree?
Philly averages 300+ murder per year over the last 10 years so it has more than a perception problem, it has a problem problem. Nevertheless, I've had good friends that lived there and loved it so it has an appeal to some and it seems to be getting better actually.

By the way, congrats to the Eagles, they were totally awesome and were the best team. My brother is friends with your head coach.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,449,577 times
Philly has a somewhat out of proportion bad reputation. When many of my old hometown (rural NY) friends heard I moved here, they surely made faces and asked "why Philly?" I think people with deeper understand of contemporary urban dynamics see that the city is complex like any, but has a lot to offer its residents and visitors alike. It really depends on the person.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:20 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Philly has a somewhat out of proportion bad reputation. When many of my old hometown (rural NY) friends heard I moved here, they surely made faces and asked "why Philly?" I think people with deeper understand of contemporary urban dynamics see that the city is complex like any, but has a lot to offer its residents and visitors alike. It really depends on the person.
It needs to be cleaned up. There are so many neighborhoods with trash everywhere on the sidewalks. Not a good look.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:30 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It needs to be cleaned up. There are so many neighborhoods with trash everywhere on the sidewalks. Not a good look.
I agree that the "Philthydelphia" epithet remains deserved in much of the city.

Which is one reason why we have these special services/business improvement districts in several city commercial areas.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Many of the neighborhoods do need to be cleaned up. Doesn’t change that the city offers its residents a lot for a little.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:09 AM

On that note, Philly deserves more public trash bins!

Old 05-13-2018, 07:22 PM

398 posts, read 382,014 times
I’ve heard “Killadelphia” too.

David Lynch hated it when he lived there.

I mean it’s perception problem is based on lunatic Philly sports fans, and while the downtown is nice (Center City), it’s easily he least friendly city I’ve ever been to. People almost seemed freaked out to interact with a stranger. That part was really weird. I’d still say it’s better than Los Angeles though.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Quote:
This is true. I am only saying this because the Philly posters admit the trash problem. Don't want to step on any toes with the Philly boosters, but the thing I really didn't like about Philly, and neighboring South Jersey up to Trenton, was the filth and grit. DT Chicago is almost Disneyland clean, I can't understand why Philly can't get it together too and clean up a bit. It could be so much better and a much better tourist draw with alot of repeat visits without the negative trash reminder. So much potential in that city.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
This is true. I am only saying this because the Philly posters admit the trash problem. Don't want to step on any toes with the Philly boosters, but the thing I really didn't like about Philly, and neighboring South Jersey up to Trenton, was the filth and grit. DT Chicago is almost Disneyland clean, I can't understand why Philly can't get it together too and clean up a bit. It could be so much better and a much better tourist draw with alot of repeat visits without the negative trash reminder. So much potential in that city.
I noticed the trash in the streets as well. Even Cleveland has cleaned up a lot over the years. Do you feel like it is a public mentality problem or city maintenance issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City