Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 06:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, a lifetimes sample size would tells me the same. The truth is that Chicago is revered across much of North America in the same way NYC is (though, not quite). It carries the big, bad, beautiful, diverse, and transient reputation that only NYC, Toronto, and LA can claim.

Philadelphia doesn't have that reputation. Despite size, despite it's sizeable economic output, despite the history.. It just isn't in the same conversation on a National basis. I know polls on C-D tell us places like Boston, Philly, and DC play among the big dogs. But, again, my lifetime sample size says they simply don't have the same mindshare/perception of the general populous. And it's really, realllllyyyy hard to believe that ayone - from Philly or not- believes Philadelphia is on par with Chicago in this way.

Chicago is planted in minds across the US. Philadelphia is not. Regionally, it might be, but ask your typical resident from Houston, or San Diego, or Miami, or Boston, or Toronto without direct knowledge/experience of both, and I would bet for a large majority that Chicago takes mental precedence.
I grew up in Toronto and Montréal, both world class cities, and I agree that Chicago probably evokes more immediately positive perceptions than Philadelphia. For a number of reasons, it might be better "known" internationally. A couple of years ago, though, two different people within the span of a month raved about Philly to me. That piqued my interest.

I visited Philly for the first time last year (almost exactly a year ago), and I loved it so much, I returned 6 weeks later. I hope to be able to go again and again. Fwiw, on both occasions I was there (December and February), it was jam-packed with tourists, mostly from Europe.

As great as Chicago is, and it is, I think I prefer Philly. In many ways, Chicago reminds me of Toronto, being situated on a Great Lake and with all the same kind of ethnic neighborhoods I love. But it lacks something intangible that Philly seems to possess effortlessly. Can't quite put my finger on what it is. History, perhaps? A certain romance?

Though Philadelphia's historical significance makes it a very American city, it also has a very subtle European-like feel unique to cities and towns in eastern North America (Boston, NYC, Toronto, Montréal have it, too). Maybe that's what it is. You can see it in the architecture and in places like the Philly Museum of Art, Reading Terminal Market, the 30th Street Train Station, etc.

Plus, Philly's better located, imo. Close to other major cities on the East Coast and the ocean. Chicago's more isolated.

I love Chicago, but I don't think I'd want to live there. Philly I'd live in.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 12-18-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 04:12 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
I am curious. I was just in Philly and have been many times. I find it to be a great American city. Yet anytime I talk to someone and tell them I am going to Philly the responses are always the same. "I'm sorry," "why," Filthadelphia?

I don't think it warrants it. Certain cities do. I live in the Chicago area and the stereotype of Chicago in the winter(outside of this past winter)is pretty spot on. I always tell people, don't come Dec- March if on pleasure, unless during Christmas time, its pretty well decorated and beautiful if into that .

Do others agree or disagree?
I agree,Philly definitely gets a bad rap.Its a true American city.Good and bad

Old 12-19-2019, 05:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Fair assessment, I'm from Philadelphia and live in Manhattan, and yes Philadelphia's influence and the general knowledge of the city fades as you leave the Northeast, however my issue is with certain posters who will make any attempt to downplay Philadelphia as a large bustling and well known city.

Its fine if people don't prefer Philadelphia, but don't knock it down because they don't like it. By some of these posts I'd swear people are referring to Philadelphia as if its Cincinnati or something (not disrespect to that city).

As far as Chicago goes, yes it is 100% America's number 2 or 3 city after New York and I guess LA, however, Philadelphia still stacks up fairly well to Chicago (not on par though), even though its significantly smaller than Chicago.

Finally, I think Philadelphia, Boston, DC are a closer comparison to Chicago than Chicago is to New York. New York is an outlier.
Id have to agree with this. I've never even thought much of Chicago often or think do I thinkabout it as up there with LA and NY. I know its a huge city but I think of its influence as being pretty on par with DC Boston Philly San Fran and Houston. Like... slightly above all those but not a huge separation. I know that probably flawed but that my northeastern perspective

Old 12-19-2019, 09:04 AM

171 posts, read 188,381 times
Nah, I think Detroit has it a lot worse.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:31 AM

142 posts, read 115,808 times
Baltimore Detroit and St Louis by far the worst. Could make a case that these days it’s St Louis

Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 AM

71 posts, read 45,571 times
I haven't been to Philly since high school and only experience Philadelphians outside of their hometown. My thought is that the city is probably better than the reputation but nothing special. Certainly not in comparison to Chicago, DC, Boston or SF- let alone NYC. Philadelphians in general are defensive and do not see their city's position objectively with a strong (and frankly humorous) tendency to elevate Philadelphia way higher than it deserves.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If you're going there, I'm not even sure they associate GlaxoSmithKline with the city anymore.

It's debatable that GSK itself even does so, even though it maintains a presence here and IIRC a titular headquarters. But the bulk of the executive suite IIRC is now down in the Research Triangle.

that depends, still their whole oncology franchise and a huge facility in Collegeville along with the NY, roughly split between RTP and Philly these days with their growth segments actually in Philly

Their Tesaro acquisition is coming to Philly as one example

Bad news on their Myeloma drug however this week

Old 12-20-2019, 08:48 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Philadelphia does not have the "worst" perception problem by a long shot. Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. are all frequently discussed in conversation and in the media as worse. Even cities like Chicago and San Francisco are regularly trashed in conservative media (Baltimore too) for crime, homelessness, etc. I'd put Oakland on the list of cities with reputations (outdated) that are worse than Philadelphia's as well.

What Philadelphia does suffer from is a level of "hype" that doesn't quite match some other cities (especially peers like Boston, DC, and San Francisco). Philadelphia is not often mentioned in the same breath as those cities even though it rivals them (or beats them depending on the category and your criteria) in many areas. Personally, I rarely ever hear anything bad about Philadelphia so I can't say it has a perception or reputation problem. But I don't hear nearly the same level of enthusiasm for it as I do Boston, DC, or SF.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Philadelphia does not have the "worst" perception problem by a long shot. Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. are all frequently discussed in conversation and in the media as worse. Even cities like Chicago and San Francisco are regularly trashed in conservative media (Baltimore too) for crime, homelessness, etc. I'd put Oakland on the list of cities with reputations (outdated) that are worse than Philadelphia's as well.

What Philadelphia does suffer from is a level of "hype" that doesn't quite match some other cities (especially peers like Boston, DC, and San Francisco). Philadelphia is not often mentioned in the same breath as those cities even though it rivals them (or beats them depending on the category and your criteria) in many areas. Personally, I rarely ever hear anything bad about Philadelphia so I can't say it has a perception or reputation problem. But I don't hear nearly the same level of enthusiasm for it as I do Boston, DC, or SF.

For the most part, the only place Philly beats Boston, DC, and San Francisco is housing cost. You can buy a 1,200 sf condo in a tower a block and a half from Rittenhouse on a lower level for $500K. You can rent a 700 sf 1/1 in that tower for $1,600.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:35 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
I haven't been to Philly since high school and only experience Philadelphians outside of their hometown. My thought is that the city is probably better than the reputation but nothing special. Certainly not in comparison to Chicago, DC, Boston or SF- let alone NYC. Philadelphians in general are defensive and do not see their city's position objectively with a strong (and frankly humorous) tendency to elevate Philadelphia way higher than it deserves.
You haven't been to Philadelphia since high school...? Exactly how long ago was that?

And we get it....You and a few others are really reaching. Philadelphia is not your favorite city, but PLEASE stop with the ridiculous generalizations and falsehoods...

First, take NYC out the equation, no American city comes close to offering what NYC offers.

Second, I have spent considerable amounts of time in Chicago, DC, Boston and SF (recently too), and I would LOVE to hear how Philadelphia is nothing special and over elevates itself compared to those cities.

Preferences aside, Philadelphia offers just as much, and in many cases more than all of those cities. The only slight outlier is Chicago due to its large size compared to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
For the most part, the only place Philly beats Boston, DC, and San Francisco is housing cost. You can buy a 1,200 sf condo in a tower a block and a half from Rittenhouse on a lower level for $500K. You can rent a 700 sf 1/1 in that tower for $1,600.
Disagree. Job opportunities and shopping are generally better in Boston, DC and SF, but I don't see any clear area where those cities "beat" Philadelphia from the general categories discussed on City Data (food, history, walk-ability, architecture, culture, museums, etc.).

They are all pretty even and 100% peers of each other, plus Philadelphia has an equally bright future and that has really shown since 2010.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: edited thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City