Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well, that is literally the name of this subforum...
Let me rephrase it; non constructive city vs. city debates based on at best, minimal experience or a lot of assumptions

Last edited by Joakim3; 12-17-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Let me rephrase it; none constructive city vs. city debates based on at best, minimal experience or a lot of assumptions
THERE ya go.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:20 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I'm pretty sure the majority of the country holds Chicago in a much higher regard than Philly. It's seen as a top 3 US city that is world class, huge, and diverse.

Philly is seen as a sports obsessed, Rocky obsessed, history obsessed, cheesesteak obsessed wannabe big city.

No disrespect to Chicago but Philly does have more of my heart than the Chi could ever get, may be I'm a little bias, not that Chicago isn't a great city and I do have family ties in the Chi. Also I don't see how anyone could see Philly as a wannabe big city,, It is a Big City a Great city at that and all that you mentioned above makes it just that!!!

Old 12-18-2019, 12:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
No disrespect to Chicago but Philly does have more of my heart than the Chi could ever get, may be I'm a little bias, not that Chicago isn't a great city and I do have family ties in the Chi. Also I don't see how anyone could see Philly as a wannabe big city,, It is a Big City a Great city at that and all that you mentioned above makes it just that!!!
Living in or originally from a major city. Especially if for years as I did for 6 in Chicago. That city .... you already became a local and endearment toward it is likely, even if you live in others later thru life and today...... just adding that.

Some if it was a favorite city they visited much in their past too or present. Also gains a preference for some. Some cities have aspects that one connects to more for various reasons. Some we get from posters on C-D in threads as they post on various cities.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:37 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I'm pretty sure the majority of the country holds Chicago in a much higher regard than Philly. It's seen as a top 3 US city that is world class, huge, and diverse.

Philly is seen as a sports obsessed, Rocky obsessed, history obsessed, cheesesteak obsessed wannabe big city.
Yeah, a lifetimes sample size would tells me the same. The truth is that Chicago is revered across much of North America in the same way NYC is (though, not quite). It carries the big, bad, beautiful, diverse, and transient reputation that only NYC, Toronto, and LA can claim.

Philadelphia doesn't have that reputation. Despite size, despite it's sizeable economic output, despite the history.. It just isn't in the same conversation on a National basis. I know polls on C-D tell us places like Boston, Philly, and DC play among the big dogs. But, again, my lifetime sample size says they simply don't have the same mindshare/perception of the general populous. And it's really, realllllyyyy hard to believe that ayone - from Philly or not- believes Philadelphia is on par with Chicago in this way.

Chicago is planted in minds across the US. Philadelphia is not. Regionally, it might be, but ask your typical resident from Houston, or San Diego, or Miami, or Boston, or Toronto without direct knowledge/experience of both, and I would bet for a large majority that Chicago takes mental precedence.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:12 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, a lifetimes sample size would tells me the same. The truth is that Chicago is revered across much of North America in the same way NYC is (though, not quite). It carries the big, bad, beautiful, diverse, and transient reputation that only NYC, Toronto, and LA can claim.

Philadelphia doesn't have that reputation. Despite size, despite it's sizeable economic output, despite the history.. It just isn't in the same conversation on a National basis. I know polls on C-D tell us places like Boston, Philly, and DC play among the big dogs. But, again, my lifetime sample size says they simply don't have the same mindshare/perception of the general populous. And it's really, realllllyyyy hard to believe that ayone - from Philly or not- believes Philadelphia is on par with Chicago in this way.

Chicago is planted in minds across the US. Philadelphia is not. Regionally, it might be, but ask your typical resident from Houston, or San Diego, or Miami, or Boston, or Toronto without direct knowledge/experience of both, and I would bet for a large majority that Chicago takes mental precedence.
Fair assessment, I'm from Philadelphia and live in Manhattan, and yes Philadelphia's influence and the general knowledge of the city fades as you leave the Northeast, however my issue is with certain posters who will make any attempt to downplay Philadelphia as a large bustling and well known city.

Its fine if people don't prefer Philadelphia, but don't knock it down because they don't like it. By some of these posts I'd swear people are referring to Philadelphia as if its Cincinnati or something (not disrespect to that city).

As far as Chicago goes, yes it is 100% America's number 2 or 3 city after New York and I guess LA, however, Philadelphia still stacks up fairly well to Chicago (not on par though), even though its significantly smaller than Chicago.

Finally, I think Philadelphia, Boston, DC are a closer comparison to Chicago than Chicago is to New York. New York is an outlier.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Fair assessment, I'm from Philadelphia and live in Manhattan, and yes Philadelphia's influence and the general knowledge of the city fades as you leave the Northeast, however my issue is with certain posters who will make any attempt to downplay Philadelphia as a large bustling and well known city.

Its fine if people don't prefer Philadelphia, but don't knock it down because they don't like it. By some of these posts I'd swear people are referring to Philadelphia as if its Cincinnati or something (not disrespect to that city).

As far as Chicago goes, yes it is 100% America's number 2 or 3 city after New York and I guess LA, however, Philadelphia still stacks up fairly well to Chicago (not on par though), even though its significantly smaller than Chicago.

Finally, I think Philadelphia, Boston, DC are a closer comparison to Chicago than Chicago is to New York. New York is an outlier.
Agreed, and my statement isn't even meant to get into the Chicago vs. Philadelphia comparison. I'm simply talking reputation.

For the size, GDP, history, maybe Philadelphia does have a perception problem. Maybe it should in fact be on more folks radars. So, it does tie back to the thread.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:14 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

The first paragraph was reasonable. The second? Not so much...although I will say Eagles fans are pretty darn special.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The first paragraph was reasonable. The second? Not so much...although I will say Eagles fans are pretty darn special.
There is a down side to that. But best left Many know history old and current as to why.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:26 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
In certain economics yes

Both the DC-Baltimore & SJ-SF-Oakland regions have caught and sailed pass Chicago's GDP output and are comfortably more integrated into the global economy due to tech & politics. (LA would have to take a bow in this area as well). What NYC, LA & Chicago have that the "lesser" tier one cities lack, is the cultural clout of being the premier city in their regions and that has been forever cemented in the public eye.

It's that intangible that sets them apart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City