Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 08:18 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,740,576 times

Advertisements

I prefer NYC's downtown, although Chicago's downtown is pretty nice too.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,076,672 times
It's just nasty, and fits the city's people, that NYC has all of their trash on the streets! No wonder New York City smells.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 AM

79 posts, read 92,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
It's just nasty, and fits the city's people, that NYC has all of their trash on the streets! No wonder New York City smells.
If New Yorkers are nasty, then Chicagoans are heathens. After all, Chicago is the murder capital of the United States.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,376,667 times
Anyway - I thought Detroit, Atlanta and Baltimore, etc. had rates much higher than Chicago? I don't think we're the murder CAPITAL. Even in sheer numbers NYC has more than Chicago through October.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-10-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 05:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,718,004 times
Hell, and people claim Chicagoans have an inferiority complex.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM

776 posts, read 1,682,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
Ew, Chicago is gross.

I'll go with New York. It's hard to even notice the bland buildings when you're watching over your back half of the time for a potential mugger or murderer on those dangerous gritty streets. Too ghetto. I never feel safe and I think the buildings are definitely second rate when being compared to the architecture of New York. Also, Chicago should really stop constructing those ugly buildings with parking garages as the base....it's called an underground garage! Certainly don't see any of that in London, New York or Paris (ok, well fine Chicago isn't on the same level, but should aspire to be).

New York's skyline is stunning and beyond impressive when crossing onto the island, the architecture is amazing, and it feels like a true upscale cosmopolitan place. Chicago just seems like a place for people to go to who can't afford lodging in New York. I didn't enjoy it. I see how lots of them have an inferiority complex re: NYC. What is the point of going to Chicago when you can just go to NYC, unless you're poor? I don't get it. It just doesn't have that pizazz like New York!

Just my opinion.

all I can say is wow..

I guess this gives many of us who want to experience the two largest cities in this country an incentive to continue to go to Chicago again and again just to stay away from people like YOU.. With such an attitude and smug arrogance like that is it any wonder the 'Financial capital of the World' almost lead us into great depression 2? The sooner we take the controls out of your hands the bettter..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 11-10-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,653,289 times
Overall I'd say NYC...though Chicago is also awesome.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 30,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think Chicago might have the best singular aesthetic views because of its lake setup, and many of its gems are clear cut visible from there, but Manhattan is quite a bit more impressive than Chicago and has a lot more architecture and more stuff to do. You just can't grasp it from one point.
That's not true, what can you do in Manhattan that you can't do in Chicago? I know something you can do in Chicago that you can't do in Manhattan, go to the beach.
Chicago consistently ranks higher than New York in terms of skyline, people, hotels, food & dining, and overall visitor experience. Plus it's cleaner and more affordable. (travel + leisure)

Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,412,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrxs25 View Post
That's not true, what can you do in Manhattan that you can't do in Chicago? I know something you can do in Chicago that you can't do in Manhattan, go to the beach.
Chicago consistently ranks higher than New York in terms of skyline, people, hotels, food & dining, and overall visitor experience. Plus it's cleaner and more affordable. (travel + leisure)
Sure many people like Chicago's Skyline better, but I dont see many people saying hotels and dining are better in Chicago, NYC arguably has the best dining seen in the world...and how can one city rank higher than another in "people"

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

10 posts, read 30,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Sure many people like Chicago's Skyline better, but I dont see many people saying hotels and dining are better in Chicago, NYC arguably has the best dining seen in the world...and how can one city rank higher than another in "people"
Well apparently the experts at travel + leisure magazine disagree with you.

They have ranked Chicago higher in hotels and dining.
And yes, they have also ranked the people of Chicago as well, in terms of being friendlier, healthier, and more intelligent.
This was done with research and travel between both cities, not just of word of mouth which is where you claim to get your info from. So i think it's safe to say their comparison definitely outweighs yours.

Just because New York is more famous and mainstream, doesn't make it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.