Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM

45 posts, read 46,854 times

Advertisements

Ew, Chicago is gross.

I'll go with New York. It's hard to even notice the bland buildings when you're watching over your back half of the time for a potential mugger or murderer on those dangerous gritty streets. Too ghetto. I never feel safe and I think the buildings are definitely second rate when being compared to the architecture of New York. Also, Chicago should really stop constructing those ugly buildings with parking garages as the base....it's called an underground garage! Certainly don't see any of that in London, New York or Paris (ok, well fine Chicago isn't on the same level, but should aspire to be).

New York's skyline is stunning and beyond impressive when crossing onto the island, the architecture is amazing, and it feels like a true upscale cosmopolitan place. Chicago just seems like a place for people to go to who can't afford lodging in New York. I didn't enjoy it. I see how lots of them have an inferiority complex re: NYC. What is the point of going to Chicago when you can just go to NYC, unless you're poor? I don't get it. It just doesn't have that pizazz like New York!

Just my opinion.

Last edited by christian.; 11-07-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,917,219 times
"A town so smart, it's spelling starts, with c-h-i-c, chic!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J8gf9OFTRY

Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,632,083 times
I know that New York has more to do, but I prefer Chicago because you can see individual buildings rather than just having a big clump of skyscrapers.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,962,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
Ew, Chicago is gross.

I'll go with New York. It's hard to even notice the bland buildings when you're watching over your back half of the time for a potential mugger or murderer on those dangerous gritty streets. Too ghetto. I never feel safe and I think the buildings are definitely second rate when being compared to the architecture of New York. Also, Chicago should really stop constructing those ugly buildings with parking garages as the base....it's called an underground garage! Certainly don't see any of that in London, New York or Paris (ok, well fine Chicago isn't on the same level, but should aspire to be).

New York's skyline is stunning and beyond impressive when crossing onto the island, the architecture is amazing, and it feels like a true upscale cosmopolitan place. Chicago just seems like a place for people to go to who can't afford lodging in New York. I didn't enjoy it. I see how lots of them have an inferiority complex re: NYC. What is the point of going to Chicago when you can just go to NYC, unless you're poor? I don't get it. It just doesn't have that pizazz like New York!

Just my opinion.
Wow is about all I can say about your post. I guess I'll have to disagree - just my opinion, of course.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
They're EVERYWHERE in garbage-filled Chi-town.
Stupid.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You must not be looking hard then... Why is this sign posted in virtually every alleyway in Chicago??? Both cities have rat problems.
Ive lived in Chicago (Rogers Park) for a year and a half and have honestly not seen a rat. I know they are out there. Somehow I have yet to see one.

Giant Mutant Squirrels on the other hand, my alley has plenty.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,684,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
There are rats normally....now raccoons are not running rampant in chicago.s downtown lol i was around the museum of science and indus and saw one once by the trees and bushes
see... I knew somebody else has seen a raccoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
But in any event i do believe chicago has the cleaner downtown between the too....for one there are far less people
agreed again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Ive lived in Chicago (Rogers Park) for a year and a half and have honestly not seen a rat. I know they are out there. Somehow I have yet to see one.

Giant Mutant Squirrels on the other hand, my alley has plenty.
The squirrels and rats compete for the goods. I saw a squirrel last time I was there running with a bagel in his mouth.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 AM

16 posts, read 17,950 times
Definitely NYC!!!!

Such a nice city!! Can't wait until the WTC towers are up!!

Last edited by LDN5; 11-09-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:47 AM

526 posts, read 1,065,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
I agree that New York has a lot of things for tourists to do (whether it is within the central business district or outside of it).
well it is the USA's flagship city.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,385,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
NYC has MUCH cleaner streets than Chicago, with twice daily commercial trash pickup (only once a day in Chicago) and 100% of NYC streets are washed every 48 hours.

And rats are MUCH more common in Chicago. I saw a huge one sauntering down the sidewalk near Al's Beef in River North. They're EVERYWHERE in garbage-filled Chi-town.
I love both cities, but one thing that I do tend to notice is the cleanliness thing. Chicago seems to be much more clean than NYC - but it's not really a huge debate, it's just the logistics of the cities.

Chicago has alleys behind every street with sealed dumpsters and garbage cans. This inevitably leads to less clutter on the streets. Chicago being overly dirty is actually the opposite of most people's reaction upon visiting the area. It tends to be much more anal about cleanliness than many other areas.

The city (like all) does have a rat problem, but they've actually done a fairly good job at reducing the problem the past few decades.

Chicago's rat population is estimated at 500,000. Only 20 years ago that population was up near 6,000,000. The biggest difference was requiring all garbage to be in alleys in sealed, raised dumpsters and containers. That quickly had a very large impact.

Most results seem to pin New York Cities rat population at around 16,000,000 to 48,000,000 - or around 50-100 times as many as Chicago. Again - this is just a result of having garbage collected off city streets. There's really no solution for NYC except to keep trying new ways to clear the population away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City