Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,981,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
PS., It's also sad how you ridiculous boosters rejoice over having the tallest buildings in the United States, which is the case only because two of New York's tallest were taken down in 2001. I guess 9/11 was a gift for you bottom-feeding Chicago fanboys...you now have the tallest building in the United States! Congratulations (for the next 1.5 years, at least)! How pathetic.
I love NY but what's pathetic is that those towers didn't shoot right back up after the first or second anniversary of 9/11. I've been to ground zero 3 times since they fell and it's almost shameful that a big hole in the ground sits where the pride of NY once stood. Regardless of reason, I think those towers should have been rebuilt exactly the way they were as a sign of the city's strength. So before you knock Chicago, remember that NY's tallest buildings no longer exist.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,791,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Willis Tower doesn't have a spire, the antennas don't count for jack when measuring roof height, or the total height. It only counts for "free standing structure" and it was replaced due to damage and other problems. It wasn't meant to "one up NYC". Ask anyone the tallest buildings were the twin towers (RIP) while they stood by terms of roof height and metric measurements.
At least that's what I remember it to be for the most part.

Also that confusion people have of Chicago always trying to "one up NYC" with buildings is not true. The Spire was designed and visioned by some Irish guy, not a Chicagoan.

New York City can have the tallest buildings, it deserves it, especially how the fallen towers were robbed from the city. I don't think anyone with a right mind will hold that against New York City.

Just wanted to clear that up.
I was just about to say that.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM

The World Trade Center is sooooo ugly IMO, it is just a plain tall box with a giant antenna on top.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,981,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
The World Trade Center is sooooo ugly IMO, it is just a plain tall box with a giant antenna on top.
They were really amazing in person man. Even looking up the side of the Willis/Sears Tower doesn't give me the same feeling as standing between those twin towers did.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM

24 posts, read 43,053 times
The new WTC buildings look so much prettier!!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,151,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. President View Post
I liked the old ones in the sense they were real twin towers. If they had only built one, it would have been a hideous mistake. They did great by building two.

I WISH, they could have copied that design for Freedom Tower and made two of those instead of just one. It would have been so much better, IMHO.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
They were really amazing in person man. Even looking up the side of the Willis/Sears Tower doesn't give me the same feeling as standing between those twin towers did.
I am sure it was, but I would rather see the Willis Tower.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 PM

244 posts, read 570,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I love NY but what's pathetic is that those towers didn't shoot right back up after the first or second anniversary of 9/11. I've been to ground zero 3 times since they fell and it's almost shameful that a big hole in the ground sits where the pride of NY once stood. Regardless of reason, I think those towers should have been rebuilt exactly the way they were as a sign of the city's strength. So before you knock Chicago, remember that NY's tallest buildings no longer exist.
No, it's not pathetic.

Lower Manhattan isn't the prairies of Chicago, the entire WTC is extremely complex site.

The World Trade Center, first of all, is built on artificial land. That entire lower S/W side (Battery Park) is built on an artificial landfill which was created in the 1970s. Where the towers stood were once just water....The Hudson River.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7781/manahattasplitskymodifi.jpg (broken link)

Before they could construct the original towers, they had to create a "bath tub" to sustain the weight of massive towers. The bathtub was also destroyed on 9/11 and the repair of that took years to complete. Add that in with the fact that the world trade center site sits on top of train lines, and add the cleanup... there is nothing pathetic about how long it took the towers to shoot up.

Anyway, thankfully the towers are all rising as we speak.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM

244 posts, read 570,484 times
Quote:
Much!!!

Last edited by DC90; 07-20-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City