Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,769 times

Advertisements

NYC is such an amazing city.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,427 times
Here some videos I made from pics I took.

YouTube - A Summer Day in NYC

YouTube - NYC in B&W

Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 PM

74 posts, read 233,285 times
Im digging up an old topic, but downtown Manhattan will never be on the level of Chicago Loop. We invented the skyscraper, and Downtown Manhattan is our little sister. The Loop is the second biggest CBD, not Downtown Manhattan. Only Midtown has a chance, but Midtown is also overhyped because of midrises in the area that people try to define as "skyscrapers". Manhattan's skyline is not intact, in between Midtown and Downtown is a gap of midrises that NYer's try to pass as "skyscrapers" to gullible out of towners. Some of you people watch too many movies. And if Im lying, then look at these pictures, Midtown and Downtown is not attached. If you want to see an attached skyline, look at Chicago.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
never been to chicago, but i gotta go with nyc on this...

i haven't seen any downtown (or uptown ) close to nyc so far (not in america)

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
While Chicago is my favorite skyline, on scale it is no where in size, NYC is wide wall and much bigger seriously

And also I love Chicago, but there is no downtown in the US even close to NYC

Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:
Im digging up an old topic, but downtown Manhattan will never be on the level of Chicago Loop. We invented the skyscraper, and Downtown Manhattan is our little sister. The Loop is the second biggest CBD, not Downtown Manhattan. Only Midtown has a chance, but Midtown is also overhyped because of midrises in the area that people try to define as "skyscrapers". Manhattan's skyline is not intact, in between Midtown and Downtown is a gap of midrises that NYer's try to pass as "skyscrapers" to gullible out of towners. Some of you people watch too many movies. And if Im lying, then look at these pictures, Midtown and Downtown is not attached. If you want to see an attached skyline, look at Chicago.

Once the new world trade is done it will be better than the loop i think. I don't see how chicago invented the skyscraper when the chrysler building was the first true skyscraper, followed by the empire state building. These were the first two buildings to literally scrape the sky at over a thousand feet.

And people are well aware that midtown and downtown do not connect. Its more impressive to have two big skylines anyway

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 PM

648 posts, read 1,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
Not one person from NY tries to pass anything between midtown and lower Manhattan off as skyscrapers. Quit it. And Chicago never invented the skyscraper, you invented short little steel buildings that they thought were skyscrapers back then. New York invented the modern image of the skyscraper with the Woolworth, Chrysler, and Empire State Building among others. The Chicago skyline is one of the most impressive in the world no doubt about it, but to completely wipe yourself with NY like that is pathetic. The Chicago Spire is a dead project and the Freedom Tower will be in downtown Manhattan opening as the tallest building in the country with I belive two other buildings being taller than the Empire State Building and a third one being taller than the Chrysler Building.

Also midtown is not full of mid rises, that is stupid to say when midtown Manhattan has a density far greater than the Loop. Chicago has a few tall buildings and many shorties in between the Sears and JHC. Midtown is a constant sea of skyscrapers and has way more skyscrapers over 700 feet than Chicago and will soon like I said have the Freedom Tower and 3 other new skyscrapers standing next to it.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM

74 posts, read 233,285 times
Lets be honest, Lower Manhattan's arms are too short to box with Chicago. Its not on the same tier as Chicago, it's a poor man's Loop with no significant buildings and it would take divine intervention for it to catch us. The real argument should be Midtown Manhattan versus all of Downtown Chicago. Downtown Chicago is made up of the Loop, River North, and Streeterville.

Chicago's skyline is technically seperated by the Chicago River, but it was built to look like one singular skyline. Because of our vastly superior city planning, we didnt get stuck with a gap of midrises like Manhattan did. Manhattan being on an island makes some buildings look bigger than they actually are. Chicago has more buildings in the top 15 of America's tallest buildings than New York. I know that New Yorkers aren't good with facts or mathematics, but Im just saying. Lower Manhattan needs to do work to catch up.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM

705 posts, read 1,662,182 times
Chicago brings it pretty hard but NYC is the OG of downtowns.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
Lets be honest, Lower Manhattan's arms are too short to box with Chicago. Its not on the same tier as Chicago, it's a poor man's Loop with no significant buildings and it would take divine intervention for it to catch us. The real argument should be Midtown Manhattan versus all of Downtown Chicago. Downtown Chicago is made up of the Loop, River North, and Streeterville.

Chicago's skyline is technically seperated by the Chicago River, but it was built to look like one singular skyline. Because of our vastly superior city planning, we didnt get stuck with a gap of midrises like Manhattan did. Manhattan being on an island makes some buildings look bigger than they actually are. Chicago has more buildings in the top 15 of America's tallest buildings than New York. I know that New Yorkers aren't good with facts or mathematics, but Im just saying. Lower Manhattan needs to do work to catch up.
lol at vastly superior planning. There are numerous wonderful neighborhoods between mid and downtown. Thats the only reason theres no skyscrapers there, they would destroy the community.

The freedom tower will be the tallest in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City