Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
People get butt-hurt when their city is referred to as "boring", but are just a quick to negatively label someone else's.
A very small portion of people posting have done this.

Quote:
...and yes there are boring cities, just like there are exciting cities
And no, above a certain size there aren't any boring cities. It's more a case of boring, lazy people with no imagination nor desire to leave their comfort zone.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Most fun: NYC, New Orleans, Montreal
Most boring: Phoenix, OKC (if that's a major city), Charlotte, Hartford (if that's a major city).

Old 06-19-2015, 06:07 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And no, above a certain size there aren't any boring cities. It's more a case of boring, lazy people with no imagination nor desire to leave their comfort zone.
Well from a tourist perspective, I think it's just the fact that some people are unfamiliar with a city. For cities where downtown doesn't serve as the best representation of the city (like most Sunbelt cities), visitors may not be as familiar with the other neighborhoods where all the fun is to be had or if they do, they may not have the means to get there. There are just some cities where it's just much more fun living there than it is visiting; I think that's better than the other way around.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
Most Fun usually depends on who im with when im visiting these cities...

Most FUn:
New Orleans
Vegas
Chicago
LA
ATL
Miami

Boring:
San Antonio
Wichita (i just came from there last week..4 of the most miserable days of my life)
Reno (only because it IS NOT vegas)

Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM

309 posts, read 307,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most Fun: any large city when you have lots and lots of money especially NYC,LA, SF, Chicago, Miami Beach, New Orleans Most boring: any small to medium sized city when you are broke lol like Cincinnati, OKC, Wichita, Kansas City, Albany NY
As an Illinois-born resident who now lives in KC, I'd be the LAST to try to compare KC's offerings with a place like Chicago or NYC, LA, etc...

But if you're broke, I'm really sure just about ANY city will be rather boring... LOL whether there are two million people there or 10....

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
A very small portion of people posting have done this.

With this same logic, there can be no such thing as an exciting city either....only people with their "imagination" and "desire" to be entertained, right??

Wrong. The same way certain elements create an exciting city, an overwhelming lack of certain elements creates a boring one.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:41 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
But if you're broke, I'm really sure just about ANY city will be rather boring... LOL whether there are two million people there or 10....

Cities like NYC, LA and Chicago (amongst others) will offer numerous free events and each city have free museums. There are also places to hang out for free at like a plaza. You could also walk around any of these cities and look at architecture and just explore in general. There are also meet up events you could look up that are usually free.

I think you can easily have fun if you are broke, but if your only idea of having fun is eating at restaurants and drinking, then I guess you're right. Otherwise, I don't necessarily agree

Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM

309 posts, read 307,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Cities like NYC, LA and Chicago (amongst others) will offer numerous free events and each city have free museums. There are also places to hang out for free at like a plaza. You could also walk around any of these cities and look at architecture and just explore in general. There are also meet up events you could look up that are usually free.

I think you can easily have fun if you are broke, but if your only idea of having fun is eating at restaurants and drinking, then I guess you're right. Otherwise, I don't necessarily agree

Point taken. That can actually apply to most anywhere, however. The scale and sheer number of these types of things are what vary from city to city and with population...

Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
Point taken. That can actually apply to most anywhere, however. The scale and sheer number of these types of things are what vary from city to city and with population...
I agree. However, by sheer number of things to do, you can still enjoy the largest cities in the US for free. Even in Chicago alone, I can list about 4 or 5 free museums off the top of my head and also at least one music event (2 in the summer) going on for free at least once a week. Not to mention a lot of street fairs going on - last weekend I was at a big street art fair, stretching over a half mile, that had a lot of interesting stuff at it from artists from all over the place. Didn't technically have to pay (suggested donation but don't need to pay) and you could see a lot of art for free.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

673 posts, read 1,187,665 times
I've never had a boring moment in Baltimore. Honestly one of the realist cities in the U.S. and not afraid to show its real side. There's a little bit of everything here in Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City