Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 09:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Most boring:
Los Angeles -- by a landslide; for a city of its size and girth, it's very meh. I'm talking about the "city" here, not surrounding region.
Dallas -- I was there last week. I think.
How are you not sure if you were in a city or not? Did you just transfer in DFW Airport and checked it out your list or what? Or do you not remember when you went.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
How are you not sure if you were in a city or not? Did you just transfer in DFW Airport and checked it out your list or what? Or do you not remember when you went.
I have a co-worker who lives in Irving but up until a few weeks ago was convinced he actually lived in Dallas.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I can agree that not all cities fit our criteria for fun. Tourist friendly cities such as Vegas, Miami, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and New Orleans tend to provide instant gratification. Cities that are not touristy such as Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, and Atlanta you tend to have to dig a little deeper for fun things to do, which is what I prefer doing when I visit a city since I hate tourist traps.
Yes, but in all of those cities you mentioned, especially NYC, Chicago, and SF there are tons of hidden stuff in the cities that you still have to seek out to find, but are still great. For example, Queens has the Museum of the Moving Image and Chicago has the National Museum of Mexican Art. Neither of these things are necessarily on the average tourist's radar. In all of these cities, there are tons of great bars, restaurants, museums, etc that you would need to search for. Just because they provide instant gratification more than a Dallas doesn't mean you still can't do it. IMO due to pure size especially NYC, LA, and Chicago, they have more of that to see than an Atlanta.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ouch !
I will say, the Ginger Man in Dallas is one of the best old-school craft beer bars I have *ever* been too. And I have been to a lot.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, but in all of those cities you mentioned, especially NYC, Chicago, and SF there are tons of hidden stuff in the cities that you still have to seek out to find, but are still great. For example, Queens has the Museum of the Moving Image and Chicago has the National Museum of Mexican Art. Neither of these things are necessarily on the average tourist's radar. In all of these cities, there are tons of great bars, restaurants, museums, etc that you would need to search for. Just because they provide instant gratification more than a Dallas doesn't mean you still can't do it. IMO due to pure size especially NYC, LA, and Chicago, they have more tourist see than an Atlanta.
I agree with your sentiment, however not every takes the time to find hidden gems in said cities. Most people go to Vegas and never leave the strip. What I meant by instant gratification was that is easier to find things to do in cities that caters to tourist.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly. The Baltimore Inner Harbor is a pretty significant tourist attraction and it does draw visitors from other countries. It's so close to DC (which lacks a major aquarium) that it pulls from DC's visitor pool as well. This past January I did a long weekend in DC with my girlfriend and her two little ones. We left DC early to make a day out of the Inner Harbor. A huge percentage of the people at the Aquarium were foreign visitors. I probably counted 7-10 different languages.
As a Baltimorean I wish people would talk about the harbor rather than the Inner Harbor. It would take a five and a half mile hike to get from Ft. McHenry (which is a tourist attraction) all the way around to where the Canton industrial area starts. While the whole distance isn't one big tourist attraction, there are lots of attractions along the way. The Inner Harbor is just a small part of a much larger harbor area.

Baltimore it rightly condemned for its failure to bring the success near the water further uptown. (Well... you have probably seen our drippy mayor on TV... ZZZZ.) Still, areas near the water are pretty impressive. Also, some people also consider the Mount Vernon neighborhood to be a tourist attraction. Depending on what you are looking for, that might be the case. Station North may get some tourist interest some day, but it is still being built out.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:33 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Most fun: Miami

Most boring: Indianapolis

Old 06-14-2015, 03:49 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
There's quite a few ways people can look at this thread.

I agree with these posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't see how anyone can call a major city or metro boring, especially those over 4 or 5 million. But it is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
No such thing. Once an area reaches a certain size, if you can't find anything to do, it's not the city, it's you. You are just not as fun as YOU think you are.
but I also can see how some people may find certain posts as being too defensive. Just because someone lists a city under "Most Boring" they've been to doesnt necessarily mean they think the city is dead. For some people, it could be a situation where they found excitement and plenty to do in each place they listed, but just found some cities less exciting than certain others.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 06-14-2015 at 04:02 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 01:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Because I can; that's my opinion. I'm from Tennessee, by the way, so neither Memphis, Nashville, nor Atlanta are anything special to me. Especially Memphis and Nashville, and especially once you get past the few tourist traps they offer; as others have already mentioned, Memphis and Nashville have a very niche appeal, so most people who aren't into certain music genres or music stars wouldn't find them particularly alluring or worth a visit anyway. No need to be a homer about it. It is what it is.

And yet the UK newspaper Mirror just named Nashville America's #1 New Party City.

An hour before my flight touches down in the USA I am watching a music documentary on the seat-back screen. And the first words in this episode of Dave Grohl’s Sonic Highways are: “Everybody now thinks that Nashville is the coolest city in America.”

Well that’s where I’m going and the Foo Fighters front man is absolutely right. Nashville, Tennessee, is buzzing with success.

This is my third visit, and since I was last here four years ago the neon-lit downtown area has all but doubled in size. New bars, restaurants and shops open every week.

Every joint is jumping and traffic is held up by “pedal taverns” full of whooping young women on bachelorette (hen) weekends. Suddenly this is America’s party town.

There are cranes and building sites everywhere but you can feel a crackle of energy and excitement in the streets. Sir Richard Branson is now building his second Virgin Hotel on Nashville’s Music Row (the first is in Chicago) and there are whispers of a direct UK flight soon.

Nashville is America

Maybe you're just not cool enough to enjoy it.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Most fun with friends : Las Vegas by yourself NYC, most boring Lexington KY and Cincinnati OH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City