Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,272 times

Advertisements

I am aware of the U.S. tourism stats from the state dept website but I would like a state-by-state breakdown. Anyone know of a list? If not could you give a guess of the 10 most visited and 10 least visited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:28 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
The Most Popular US States For Tourism - Business Insider

Granted, this only accounts for hotel rooms. It might be a different animal if day trips and RVs were taken into consideration

Old 02-20-2015, 01:27 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post

Granted, this only accounts for hotel rooms. It might be a different animal if day trips and RVs were taken into consideration
Alabama is more popular than North Carolina? That's hilarious.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Alabama is more popular than North Carolina? That's hilarious.
Well I would imagine college football and the Gulf would have something to do with that.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:17 PM

447 posts, read 495,810 times
Quote:

That list shows only hotel bookings. This hurts states that are major camping destinations, vacation homes, bed and breakfasts hot spots (Vermont), beach home rentals, and states that offer multiple destinations that people want to see so they drive around and just find a different motel every night as appose to making a hotel reservation ahead of time.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:38 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Well I would imagine college football and the Gulf would have something to do with that.
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited national park in America, and other sights like Grandfather Mountain and Asheville receive loads of tourists. It's not uncommon for people around Charlotte and Atlanta to visit Asheville on weekends, that city is never dead. Also, the Outer Banks is one of the most visited regions on the East Coast, attracting many folks from not only NC but Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc. ACC basketball probably draws in many tourists, as well. The ACC tournament is usually held in Greensboro. Less tourism than Alabama? I'm sorry, but no way.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited national park in America, and other sights like Grandfather Mountain and Asheville receive loads of tourists. It's not uncommon for people around Charlotte and Atlanta to visit Asheville on weekends, that city is never dead. Also, the Outer Banks is one of the most visited regions on the East Coast, attracting many folks from not only NC but Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc. ACC basketball probably draws in many tourists, as well. The ACC tournament is usually held in Greensboro. Less tourism than Alabama? I'm sorry, but no way.
I don't disagree that NC is a much bigger tourist draw than Alabama (and I don't even think it's close.. AL is probably one of the least-visited states from outsiders) bu the whole point was that it was amount of hotel rooms rented.

I would wager that 95+% of hotel rooms purchased in Alabama are by... Alabamians.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:35 PM

781 posts, read 736,598 times
Glad to see two of my favorite states, Wyoming and Montana are very low on the list.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
According to a website on which over 6.000 people have listed alll the counties they've visited, here are the 20 most visited counties:

Cook, IL
Washington, DC
Fairfax, VA
Orange, FL
Prince George's, MD
Los Angeles, CA
Arlington, VA
Denver, CO
Fulton, GA
New York, NY
Baltimore, MD
City of Baltimore, MD
Prince William, VA
Montgomery, MD
St. Louis, MO
Philadelphia, PA
Cuyahoga, OH
Essex, NJ
Lake, IN
Clark, NV

North Dakota would certainly be the least visited, as 12 of the 18 least visited counties are in North Dakota, and all the others in the bottom 18 are in South Dakota or Montana.

http://www.mob-rule.com/home

The least visited county, McPherson SD, has a lovely swimming beach on one of the several lakes im the town of Eureka, and also free overnight camping in the municipal campground, both of which I have availed myself of. Keep it a secret

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.7671...bA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 04:13 PM

10,642 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Nebraska more visited by Americans than Vermont
Always thought Vermont was the state to go in the East for winter sport.

Can anyone explain this, more popular state to visit...

Alabama over Colorado,
Wisconsin over North Carolina, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania,
Indiana over Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.