Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
How the hell has this thread gone 15 pages without a single person posting the office spaces of these downtowns?

From Grubb-Ellis.com

Since Manhattan is really it's own incredible beast when it comes to the United States, I'll list it in sections:

Midtown: 213,610,429
Midtown South: 74,144,995
Lower Manhattan: 76,000,765

Total: 363,756,189

2. Chicago: 130,876,187
3. Washington DC: 107,337,311
4. San Francisco: 65,214,945
5. Boston: 62,659,674 (This may be some homerism, but it should be noted that Downtown Cambridge--which is about a 15-20 minute walk from Government Center in Boston--has another 20,413,443 square feet)
6. Seattle: 45,378,727
7. Philadelphia: 44,228,375
8. Dallas: 37,034,020
9. Houston: 36,245,075
10. Los Angeles: 32,159,551

In terms of population, obviously NYC is king again, but from what I remember, the next ones go something like:

SF 105,000
Philadelphia 78,000
Boston 77,000
Chicago 50,000
DC 40,000

I believe Baltimore is high on the residential population too...
This list is a bit off. DT Houston is bigger than DT Dallas, however according to the Grubb Ellis Report The DFW downtown includes DT Dallas and DT Fort Worth.

when you read the breakdown DT Dallas is 27M sq ft while DT FW is 10M here is the source from the site you gave: http://www.grubb-ellis.com/Forecast2...FF_2012_1Q.pdf

The two DT are in different areas of the metro, wonder why they combine them and not combine districts that are in between the two. Very odd, but no, the Downtown of Dallas is not bigger than Houstons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
This list is a bit off. DT Houston is bigger than DT Dallas, however according to the Grubb Ellis Report The DFW downtown includes DT Dallas and DT Fort Worth.

when you read the breakdown DT Dallas is 27M sq ft while DT FW is 10M here is the source from the site you gave: http://www.grubb-ellis.com/Forecast2...FF_2012_1Q.pdf

The two DT are in different areas of the metro, wonder why they combine them and not combine districts that are in between the two. Very odd, but no, the Downtown of Dallas is not bigger than Houstons.
Thanks for correcting my oversight. Why in the world would they ever combine those like that? It seems kind of strange.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Also, San francisco seems pretty high on the office space category. But besides your list, it seems pretty good.
I'm not creating these numbers...this is hard research done by an office market company. SF's got a huge downtown and it shouldn't be a big surprise they've got such a large number.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Thanks for correcting my oversight. Why in the world would they ever combine those like that? It seems kind of strange.
I dunno. Like I said it is rather odd. They skipped uptown Dallas which is just across the highway from DT Dallas but they added DT Fort Worth 30 miles away. Really odd that they didn't do it for the twin cities too for the top ten because St Paul is much closer and land MSP at number 8.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno. Like I said it is rather odd. They skipped uptown Dallas which is just across the highway from DT Dallas but they added DT Fort Worth 30 miles away. Really odd that they didn't do it for the twin cities too for the top ten because St Paul is much closer and land MSP at number 8.
I don't know....I remember there was another study which showed the "Downtown Populations" of cities and it combined SF & SJ...maybe since they count two (relatively) major cities in the same metro, they just combine their CBDs by default? No clue.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:

Personally, I think Cambridge is closer to downtown than Midtown/Downtown Atlanta (or at least equal), and believe it or not U City is actually included in those Philly statistics. It's all close though.
Cant include the residential population; maybe the commercial sq footage though I thought I read a recent report on commercial space that would show the number close to your for CC and another ~15 million (60% research space) in U City. Will see if I can dredge that up. But on residential the 78K does not include U City (40K alone according to the 2010 Census data and CC is ~ 2 times this population)

The 2010 Census | Philly

BTW hope Brazil is treating you well!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Cant include the residential population; maybe the commercial sq footage though I thought I read a recent report on commercial space that would show the number close to your for CC and another ~15 million (60% research space) in U City. Will see if I can dredge that up. But on residential the 78K does not include U City (40K alone according to the 2010 Census data and CC is ~ 2 times this population)

The 2010 Census | Philly

BTW hope Brazil is treating you well!
Oh yea I was only looking at the office space. Let me know what you find!

Brasil is going very well actually. I landed in a good job and I've been able to experience a lot of cool new stuff. It's also allowed me to see the things we have that are much better (the QOL is much higher and easier) and things we have worse (the most glaring thing I've experienced is that American food is TERRIBLE...the food here is better on every single count).

Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:

Brasil is going very well actually. I landed in a good job and I've been able to experience a lot of cool new stuff. It's also allowed me to see the things we have that are much better (the QOL is much higher and easier) and things we have worse (the most glaring thing I've experienced is that American food is TERRIBLE...the food here is better on every single count).
That's one thing that always makes me depressed when I get back to the USA from S. America, Africa or Europe. I don't know what it is about our food compared to the rest of the world, but we process the hell out of everything in the name of mass production and shelf life. It really makes most things taste like garbage when you get out and see everything else.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:

According to this it would show ~40 million in CC with about 7.7 million in medical research space (that is Jefferson and Pennsylvania and Hahnamann and any of the UCity space)

Think the 40 million excludes UCity honestly

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2012_bigpic.pdf

Also based on the submarket (Grubb Ellis) the 40 million is all east of the river or not in U City

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2012_office.pdf

Glad to hear, and you are making me hungry

Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's one thing that always makes me depressed when I get back to the USA from S. America, Africa or Europe. I don't know what it is about our food compared to the rest of the world, but we process the hell out of everything in the name of mass production and shelf life. It really makes most things taste like garbage when you get out and see everything else.
Yea all the chemicals in our produce dumb-down the taste a lot--and I think they make the produce a bit more unhealthy too. Since arriving in Brasil I have eaten A LOT, but have lost about 15 pounds. Lunch is the biggest meal here and I eat a nauseating amount of picanha (a type of steak), cupim (another cut of steak), linguiça, Brasilian-style bacon, chicken, and rice & beans...but I don't stack on the weight like I would if I were back home.

From a food perspective, the only advantage I can find is with seafood...and not-surprisingly this type of food comes from non-farm fed creatures. I think the United States really needs to rethink what we're doing to our food.

**On a food-related note, the sushi here is amazing. The mixing of traditional Japanese style with Brasilian works very well. Sushi is fantastic alone...but top it off with maracujá (passion fruit) and it becomes magical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City