Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM

362 posts, read 665,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Downtown Chicago is maybe 50% larger than Center City Philly. There's definitely a significant difference, but not a huge difference.

But, yeah, the previously posted rankings are a bit silly.
It's much larger than 50% buddy. What are your borders for downtown Chicago then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 AM

70 posts, read 125,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Downtown Chicago is maybe 50% larger than Center City Philly. There's definitely a significant difference, but not a huge difference.

But, yeah, the previously posted rankings are a bit silly.
Downtown Chicago is larger in area and has more skyscrapers. It's a sanitized 9-5 office park that doesn't have much (I said much, I didn't say it has nothing) going on late at night where in Center City Philly people are still partying at 3 am on weekends. Find Rittenhouse Square in Chicago or South St. or Old City or anything 0.001% as good. I've been to Chicago and downtown doesn't feel lively. Center City has more people living in it than the Loop or however you define "downtown."

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL_urbanlover08 View Post
Downtown Chicago is larger in area and has more skyscrapers. It's a sanitized 9-5 office park that doesn't have much (I said much, I didn't say it has nothing) going on late at night where in Center City Philly people are still partying at 3 am on weekends. Find Rittenhouse Square in Chicago or South St. or Old City or anything 0.001% as good. I've been to Chicago and downtown doesn't feel lively. Center City has more people living in it than the Loop or however you define "downtown."
Buddy Chicago has more people living in downtown than Philly, and the loop is the FINANCIAL DISTRICT. The financial district in lower manhattan isn't always bustling and lively either because it is a place of mostly business only.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Buddy Chicago has more people living in downtown than Philly, and the loop is the FINANCIAL DISTRICT. The financial district in lower manhattan isn't always bustling and lively either because it is a place of mostly business only.
Midtown Manhattan is usually bustling and is the bigger business district and feels more like the real city center.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Midtown Manhattan is usually bustling and is the bigger business district and feels more like the real city center.
Toy are exactly right, but when I'm working in manhattan, I hear people mentioning lower manhattan as the financial district and that it isn't always bustling at night. that's all I was trying to say bud.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM

70 posts, read 125,472 times
midtown only has quantity but Center City is still better and has more class. Philly doesn't do fake tourist traps like the revamped Times Square. And we have solar-powered trash cans instead of dumping it on the sidewalks like they do in midtown.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Just got back from Chicago, def the number 2 DT in the country

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL_urbanlover08 View Post
midtown only has quantity but Center City is still better and has more class. Philly doesn't do fake tourist traps like the revamped Times Square. And we have solar-powered trash cans instead of dumping it on the sidewalks like they do in midtown.
Ok you are starting to boost Philly now. And new York city is just as clean as center city. And new York, Chicago, and San Francisco all have way more vibrant and better downtowns than Philly.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just got back from Chicago, def the number 2 DT in the country
What made you think it was better than Philly's?

(I've spent only a half a day in Chicago, and a few days in Philly)

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What made you think it was better than Philly's?

(I've spent only a half a day in Chicago, and a few days in Philly)
Better? some aspects yes some no, but on size it definately is number 2; plus I love the sky scrapers in Chicago, probably my favorites in the country

But it is definately bigger in feel

On size to me

NYC
Chicago
SF/Philly (with Boston pretty close)

DC is a wild card as it extends but doesnt feel as massive or compressed, may be the height

Also LA feels large too just not quite the same feel as a SF or Philly to me personally

Need to upload some pics from Chicago, Sunday afternoon from the rooftop lounge at the trump was able to snap some great shots and a gorgeous day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City