Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Im not sure how you can say those two intersections look the same, they certainly don't feel the same in person, at least in my opinion.

I would agree with this. DC is an office beast relative to it's size, as there are very few blue collar jobs. The only things I was disagreeing with MDALLSTAR, was larger DT footprint equates to bigger downtown. Secondly, what he thinks looks like downtown in DC, we just had different definitions.
My definition of DT is this! Nothern Border: Massachussets ave until you get near Union Station. NOMA is now a part of DT DC; Eastern Border: North Capitol Street; Western Border: 21st Street; Southern Border: National Mall. But Independence Ave, L'Enfant Plaza and Federal Center SW are considered DT too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Im not sure how you can say those two intersections look the same, they certainly don't feel the same in person, at least in my opinion.

I would agree with this. DC is an office beast relative to it's size, as there are very few blue collar jobs. The only things I was disagreeing with MDALLSTAR, was larger DT footprint equates to bigger downtown. Secondly, what he thinks looks like downtown in DC, we just had different definitions.
You are putting too much weight on Chicago's skyscrapers versus DC's mid rise buildings. DT DC is completely built out. The pics look the same. Office canyons in all directions. Plus DC doesn't have the hideous parking structures that Chicago has or the surface lots. Everything in DT DC is underground.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Why is this thread DC vs Everything Else?

My link is informative...

Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocisful View Post
Having lived in the Tenderloin section of San Francisco, which by the way has 78000 people living in one square mile, is not considered part of dt San Francisco. dt San Francisco is the financial dist, embarcadero and misson bay
Having grown up in SF, the Tenderloin is definitely part of Downtown (as is civic center, and arguably the southern/eastern parts of Nob Hill and Chinatown too)...and Mission bay is definitely NOT part of downtown. The case could maybe be made for the part around 4th and king (an area which does happen to be included within the city's greater "downtown plan"), but that seems to be stretching it a bit IMO, and the majority of Mission Bay is way too far off to be counted no matter what. And the Embarcadero is only partly within downtown (in the area where it passes through downtown, obviously)...the majority of the embarcadero is not part of downtown though.

Also, the TL does not have 78,000 people in one square mile. That's it's population density per square mile, but it's total population is around 20,000-30,000, as it's not as big as a square mile.

Last edited by rah; 05-11-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
My definition of DT is this! Nothern Border: Massachussets ave until you get near Union Station. NOMA is now a part of DT DC; Eastern Border: North Capitol Street; Western Border: 21st Street; Southern Border: National Mall. But Independence Ave, L'Enfant Plaza and Federal Center SW are considered DT too.
I would agree with this, though I think North Capitol Street is pushing it a bit, but it is def on the upswing.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This comparison of downtowns is interesting:

Employment Density in International Central Business Districts: Ranked by Density

Outdated. Splits most cities into small CBD and general core (for example Midtown Manhattan at 600k/ sq mile, and Manhattan south of 59th st at 220 k/ sq mile) Chicago Loop has a slightly lower employment density than Downtown New York. Midtown Manhattan at least at a loop size area has about double the number the employment density. Washington isn't much lower than Chicago in number of jobs but is half the density. Manhattan south of 59th street (containing large sections of mostly residential areas) has an employment density higher than any city besides Chicago's Loop.

Boston's area choice is a bit high, I think they were trying to include downtown, government center and Back Bay as one CBD.
Interesting. This list excludes some notable cities in the US. Based on a report from this month Philly would be 265K in .7 miles or 379K per sq mile (this is the main CBD or Market West)

Note if you include Market East which is far less office driven the worker density drops to 178K in 1.5 sq miles

Mostly, Center City's doing great - Philly.com

Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
I click on the last page of this thread and everyone is talking about d.c. why?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Interesting. This list excludes some notable cities in the US. Based on a report from this month Philly would be 265K in .7 miles or 379K per sq mile (this is the main CBD or Market West)

Note if you include Market East which is far less office driven the worker density drops to 178K in 1.5 sq miles

Mostly, Center City's doing great - Philly.com
Stop boosting center city! Must we constantly see you boost center city and Philadelphia over and over again?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
I click on the last page of this thread and everyone is talking about d.c. why?
No clue.

Now going back to DC since that's everyone's favorite topic. According to one poster here DC's downtown is big because it covers more area with lots of buildings. DC's few skyscrapers doesn't matter because they are hard to notice at street level.

So, Midtown Manhattan, at least in its strictest definition, is small in area. Only 1.2 sq miles. It has lots of skyscrapers but they add little to the streetscape. So DC has a bigger downtown since it covers more area.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
In an ironic twist. One DC poster cited this block as being a poor use of DT developement because it has buildings of significantly varied heights and not reflective of a DT. (BTW this part of a nabe with 60K+ population and 300+k employee density)

This block has basically been closed the past two weeks (a traffic nightmare) for the filming of the pivital street scene for a movie supposed to be taking place in DT Manhattan.

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

I guess it is all perspective

From the filming

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City