Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not seeing it, at all, though. I do get that if you add up all of Houston, it would somehow equal the loop.
If you get the part in bold that is all you need to get. Cause that is all the poster was saying. Only Philly posters are saying that it would have a larger overall skyline than Chicago. Which is stupid because everyone on City Data knows Chicago has way more buildings. Just even thinking it is silly, so don't even entertain it. Don't over think it.

This:http://images.[domain blocked due to spam].com/gallery/up-T4VR9OQK146JV1FU.jpg

Last edited by HtownLove; 05-01-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
I would mention Boston. It's a large CBD and then across the Charles River you have Cambridge (Kendall Square).

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I would mention Boston. It's a large CBD and then across the Charles River you have Cambridge (Kendall Square).
Boston is unique in that its tallest building is not in the main CBD or the Financial District.

That being said I'm not sure that Kendall and Back Bay are really all that much of separate CBDs, they sort of function as one large center/hub.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Well this thread somewhat snowballed into something it shoulnd have. Who cares if Houston doesn't have a skyline as impressive as Chicago? Most cities don't. In my opinion, if houston had all it's buildings together, the skyline would likely be in between Miami and Chicago. That picture with all houstons skylines together clearly draws Philly if you ask me.

(sorry, had to give my two cents on the subject)

Back on topic...last Tuesday, i had the day off of work so I decided to do some exploring (since I've barely explored the city part of NYC) and I went to downtown brooklyn. For being next to lower manhattan the area is actually doing very well.

Buckhead in Atlanta seems to be doing pretty well considering that downtown and midtown aren't very far away.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You honestly think Oakland is bigger than University City and the KOP area?
In Economic/GDP....Yes, its a known fact to everyone except the religious Philly Boosters on here. Hell more GDP come out of Allegheny County than Philadelphia County...Notice I said COUNTIES!

Quote:
Oakland is a metropolis of universities and culture in one residential neighborhood. It is the third largest business district in Pennsylvania, only behind the downtown districts of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

http://www.pittsburghpa.gov/district6/about

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
In Economic/GDP....Yes, its a known fact to everyone except the religious Philly Boosters on here. Hell more GDP come out of Allegheny County than Philadelphia County...Notice I said COUNTIES!

May be the case not sure; but on GDP the two areas are really not comparable one is 3-4 times the other

Not sure on the GDP of Oakland to U City; one thing for sure is CC and UCity has significantly more output in the relationship to DT Pittsburgh and Oakland as both have the basically accross the river dynamic. There are about 90K people employed in U City and ~50k college students. Not sure how Oakland compares; but imagine close on students and fewer employed.

U City is a larger research center I would surmise based on my understanding

Also can provide a source to that fact that you claim; the office space doesnt seem all that much and the universities seem a wash at best, probably more in U City and the research in U City is the largest research and science center in the sate, also the largest hospital complex so am curious; not saying untrue but not sure I totally agree?

The science center (research institute of U City) employs more than 42K with a an outpuit for just this aspect more than 10 Billion. That doesnt include the hospitals or universities or other employers. Penn BTW is the largest employer in Philly

Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
May be the case not sure; but on GDP the two areas are really not comparable one is 3-4 times the other
But Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland has more commuters and Jobs than either Center City and U City. Pittsburgh is more centralized in employment and commuting than Philadelphia which has to be the most sprawled city on the East Coast.

Pittsburgh has 116bn GDP currently majority of that is coming from Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland, Virtually all of it from within Allegheny County itself....Philadelphia County only makes of 22% of Philadelphia Metro's GDP..(You proved it yourself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
According to this source here is the GCP by county for the metro so Philly (city alone) according to this is shown to be below the entire Burgh Metro
Locate Your Business to Greater Philadelphia with assistance from Select Greater Philadelphia

Philly 78.2 Bil
Montco 63.3 Bil
Bucks 32.5 Bil
Chester 32.6 Bil
Delaware 25.1 Bil
New Castle 50.3 Bil
Burlington 22.2 Bil
Camden 21.5 Bil
Gloucester 11.0 Bil
Mercer 26.3 Bil
Salem Not Listed in link
Berks PA (Not from this link is 28.2 Bil)

Note this link for the Philadelphia planning commision excludes Berks but includes Mercer County

Also just by adding the PA counties in the Philly region compared to the Burgh metro the GDP is 2.3 times larger just within the PA portion alone, though at least in philly most view the region as more significant than the state

Quote:
Not sure on the GDP of Oakland to U City; one thing for sure is CC and UCity has significantly more output in the relationship to DT Pittsburgh and Oakland as both have the basically accross the river dynamic. There are about 90K people employed in U City and ~50k college students. Not sure how Oakland compares; but imagine close on students and fewer employed.
Again above you proved that to be not the case.

Quote:
U City is a larger research center I would surmise based on my understanding

Also can provide a source to that fact that you claim; the office space doesnt seem all that much and the universities seem a wash at best, probably more in U City and the research in U City is the largest research and science center in the sate, also the largest hospital complex so am curious; not saying untrue but not sure I totally agree?
Really with the combination of Pitt, UPMC, and CMU....I doubt that

Oakland's Office Space is soooo tight right now its fueling growth in near by neighborhoods...Why do you think Google is in East Liberty instead of right in the heart of Oakland?

Can U City claim the same?

Quote:
Varying research reports put Oakland’s Class A vacancy at well above 95 percent, with some research putting the total occupancy at 100 percent. Literally, totally full.

Rating the space: Oakland tightest of region's office markets - Pittsburgh Business Times
Quote:
The science center (research institute of U City) employs more than 42K with a an outpuit for just this aspect more than 10 Billion. That doesnt include the hospitals or universities or other employers. Penn BTW is the largest employer in Philly
Pitt and UPMC combined have more than 75K employees this isn't counting CMU Employees...As a matter of fact UPMC grew so large it had to move corporate office out of Oakland into Downtown Pittsburgh. UPMC now has the majority of Space leased in Pittsburgh Tallest building the US Steel building (It's Corporate HQ's), which allows them to do this to the building.

Quote:
Oakland swells throughout the day and peaks to a population of about 100,000 people each day with commuters and residents, including students, employees and visitors. Most Oakland employees work for institutions such a UPMC, University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon, some of the largest employers in Pittsburgh.

Oakland has the highest population density of all Pittsburgh neighborhoods with more than 19,000 residents. More than 45 percent of Oakland’s residents are college graduates

More than 45,000 students flock to Oakland for their coursework, studying, and relaxation......

Oakland:

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 05-03-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
See but you're not providing any sources.... and you call us boosters? Lol. Pittsburghs great but it's certainly not as great as you're making it out to be.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
See but you're not providing any sources.... and you call us boosters? Lol. Pittsburghs great but it's certainly not as great as you're making it out to be.
I've provided links to all my sources/claims. Don't know what you're talking about.....My only claim was that Downtown Pittsburgh are the 2nd and 3rd largest Central Business Districts in PA based on Economy and GDP and its a proven fact.....It was the insecure Philly Boosters that got all Butt Sore about it (I don't know why, Center City is still the largest no one debated that), yet they still can't definitely disproves those claims based on the original methodology used.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland has more commuters and Jobs than either Center City and U City. Pittsburgh is more centralized in employment and commuting than Philadelphia which has to be the most sprawled city on the East Coast.

Pittsburgh has 116bn GDP currently majority of that is coming from Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland, Virtually all of it from within Allegheny County itself....Philadelphia County only makes of 22% of Philadelphia Metro's GDP..(You proved it yourself)

Again above you proved that to be not the case.

Really with the combination of Pitt, UPMC, and CMU....I doubt that

Oakland's Office Space is soooo tight right now its fueling growth in near by neighborhoods...Why do you think Google is in East Liberty instead of right in the heart of Oakland?

Can U City claim the same?

Pitt and UPMC combined have more than 75K employees this isn't counting CMU Employees...As a matter of fact UPMC grew so large it had to move corporate office out of Oakland into Downtown Pittsburgh. UPMC now has the majority of Space leased in Pittsburgh Tallest building the US Steel building (It's Corporate HQ's), which allows them to do this to the building.

DT Pittsburgh and Oakland has more commuters and jobs? NOW I HAVE HEARD ENOUGH Prove this BB. The CCBD report just came out, Phillys DT is now 3rd in the US on number of jobs. I find this tremdously FALSE - prove this prove ptrove this. Stop make stupid claims - It isnt even close

There ~300K people that work in the Philly DT; only 25K live in the neighborhood that work there, you do the math on jobs and commuters

On U City. Penn, Drexel and UofP Hospital and CHOP I think are bigger.

On space; not sure but there is currently 2 million sq ft under construction in U City and Cira 2 and 3 breaking ground; when added another 3 million under construction

Having been to area it sure seemed like the Penn Med Complex was larger but will admit my experience is limited.

But on size; esp office these tow are dramtically different

on the 116 Billion; that is allegheny; can you prove that more than 76 billion is in the DT etc or pittsburgh itself

You keep making these claims and sort skate around with different things as opposed to directly addressing or answering the direct questions posed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City