Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,231 times

Advertisements

You should really try and be more clear in what you're asking - this question makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh has 2 & 3 largest CBD (Downtown and Oakland) in the state of PA...with an emerging 3rd CBD in the East Liberty the neighborhood where Google is located.
Two and three? University City is Philadelphia's second largest business district and it is larger than downtown Pittsburgh. So maybe Pittsburgh has the three and four spot.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Two and three? University City is Philadelphia's second largest business district and it is larger than downtown Pittsburgh. So maybe Pittsburgh has the three and four spot.
Actually not sure if if UCity is larger than DT Pittsburgh

But is larger than Oakland of the extended Burgh DT as are KOP, Blue Bell, and Wilmington DE. There are quite a few CBDs in the Philly just a hair below DT in pittsburgh in actually (Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Horsham, Newtown/Yardley, Great Valley, Media etc.) and many more larger than Oakland with places like Bala and Conshy and Radnor.

KOP is actually more than 5 times the size of Oakland and more than twice the size of of DT Pittsburgh. BB makes many claims on Pittsburgh that just are not backed in reality.

There are 5 CBDS in the Philly market larger than DT Pittsburgh and it looks like another 7 or 8 larger than Oakland

Think 6 and 14 in the state are more reality

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...burgh_3q11.pdf

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...lacbd_3q11.pdf

The Philadelphia CBD is roughly the size of the whole Pittsburgh market with everything included. KOP alone is nearly 40% the size of the total Pittsburgh metro office market.

I like the Burgh a lot but these claims are beyond outlandish

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
My example would have to be Minneapolis and st. Paul or Los Angeles.

Which downtown areas are lively/ vibrant Considering similar areas near by?
LA has a downtown? Really? How ever did I miss THAT?

I thought it was just one big maze of highways....

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
You should really try and be more clear in what you're asking - this question makes no sense.
I thought it was a perfectly understandable question.

In other words, what cities have a vibrant or decent downtown area considering other downtown areas or edge cities in the metro?

For example...St. Paul has a decent cbd, even though Downtown Minneapolis [which is larger] is a few miles away.

Make more sense?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
LA has a downtown? Really? How ever did I miss THAT?

I thought it was just one big maze of highways....
lol based on some of these answers, I don't get why Los Angeles is mentioned, what city is LA in the shadows of? I guess for Los Angeles I would say perhaps Santa Monica? It's often considered a part of LA but is actually it's own city and is a great vibrant place. Long Beach as well, once again a city cast in the shadow of Los Angeles, Long Beach has a wonderfull nightlife and vibrancy.

But I don't really get the question either.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I thought it was a perfectly understandable question.

In other words, what cities have a vibrant or decent downtown area considering other downtown areas or edge cities in the metro?

For example...St. Paul has a decent cbd, even though Downtown Minneapolis [which is larger] is a few miles away.

Make more sense?
Well not really.

Because when I read the title, I see the OP talking about ONE city with multiple CBD's like L.A. or Houston. The Twin Cities and DFW aren't ONE city, and that's not how I see it.

That said, It's gotta go to Houston. They have other CBD's/skylines that look like they're the downtown areas of other cities.

here's Downtown:

Texas Medical Center:

The Galeria Area (Uptown):

All in one shot:

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
NYC probably has the most and largest outside of the DT

Then probably LA

Then places like Chicago/DC/SF/Houston/DFW/Atlanta/Philly

Do they have to be in the city proper as this makes the comparison sort of useless as all city footprints are vastly different

For example would a place like this count?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/familym...os/4026936414/

Or this

University City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Both the aboves have basically the same office sq footage of DT Atlanta as an example (excludes Midtown Atlanta); the foreground of U City not DT further in the image; just for perspective this is basically similar to the Med center sizewise in Houston and actually has nearly identical medical space and far more research (medical and other) space but since they are considered different facilities they dont all count as one

Though the more I think about it after NYC and LA; DC may have the most actually

Crystal City, Bethesda, Rockville, SS, Arlington, Tysons, Reston, Dulles, Ballston, Pentagon City etc.

Cool image above; rarely do you see the length of tall buildings in Houston; just wish they were tighter the gap always has looked off to me; but I am traditionalist

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC probably has the most and largest outside of the DT

Then probably LA

Then places like Chicago/DC/SF/Houston/DFW/Atlanta/Philly

Do they have to be in the city proper as this makes the comparison sort of useless as all city footprints are vastly different

For example would a place like this count?

Wilmington Delaware Skyline at Night | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Or this

University City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Both the aboves have basically the same office sq footage of DT Atlanta as an example (excludes Midtown Atlanta); the foreground of U City not DT further in the image; just for perspective this is basically similar to the Med center sizewise in Houston and actually has nearly identical medical space and far more research (medical and other) space but since they are considered different facilities they dont all count as one

Though the more I think about it after NYC and LA; DC may have the most actually

Crystal City, Bethesda, Rockville, SS, Arlington, Tysons, Reston, Dulles, Ballston, Pentagon City etc.
This is basically how I've seen this thread. Especially when MStP is thrown in with L.A. It's a bit confusing.

Quote:
Cool image above; rarely do you see the length of tall buildings in Houston; just wish they were tighter the gap always has looked off to me; but I am traditionalist
Funny thing, I didn't even throw in the Energy Corridor and that spans at least 2 miles.... Personally, I like how Houston has highrises scattered everywhere. It's unique. But I'm pretty sure if they were all in one area, it would give Chicago a run for its money.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh has 2 & 3 largest CBD (Downtown and Oakland) in the state of PA...with an emerging 3rd CBD in the East Liberty the neighborhood where Google is located.

I don't know, I've lived in the Burgh'. I wouldn't say Oakland is big by any stretch. It's basically an area where Canegie Mellon resides as well as the U of Pitt. It's basically a typical college area. Not a traditonal "Central Business district". It's about the size of a very small city (20,000), so I wouldn't see that as being big. It's definately packed due to all the college kids, but does it seem like its own downtown-absolutely not. Then there's East Liberty. I know the area very well since I lived by there. It has more of a downtown feel (or atleast central business district) than Oakland, but by no means is it large enough from what the op' is saying. It looks like it would be a small downtown for a city or town of 10,000. Pittsburgh (discluding the downtown) to me always seemed like a city of lots of small towns.

I say this, because alot of people are talking pretty much other cities like Fort Worth to Dallas. The areas you suggested are like small towns/ even really tiny cities compared to what the op' is reffering too. I'm glad atleast you didn't mention Squirell hill or Shadyside. Then you would be really stretching it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City