Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Dallas
Orlando 35 33.02%
Dallas 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

These two cities have seen their metro grow significantly in the last decade. These are Sunbelt boom cities.

criteria

-housing
-diversity
-quality of life
see room sticky
-education
-nightlife
-transportation
-economy

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-09-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
QOL is subjective but I think Dallas wins in all the others though nightlife is maybe tied.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
Dallas.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Dfw

Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Dallas, but I would pick Orlando b/c of it's location.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
DFW is the 4th largest metro in the country and a major league city (sorry O-town but an NBA Ghetto Thug franchise doesn't count). Central Florida has ... Theme parks and a pretty crappy standard of living. Hardly a fair comparison.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
These two cities have seen their metro grow significantly in the last decade. These are Sunbelt boom cities.

criteria

-housing
-diversity
-quality of life
see room sticky
-education
-nightlife
-transportation
-economy
Housing: Could go either way. Both have good areas and not very good areas.
Diversity: Dallas
Quality of life: Subjective. Some would find Orlando better and others would find Dallas better and I cant see how either would be wrong.
Education: I dont know much about Orlandos education institutions
Nightlife: For adults, Dallas.
Transportation: Dallas has more in the way of public transit and a better freeway system
Economy: Orlandos economy is more heavily centered in tourism whereas Dallas has a more diverse economy.

I dont dislike central Florida and it has a lot going for it, but I take Dallas for sure on this one.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
DFW is the 4th largest metro in the country and a major league city (sorry O-town but an NBA Ghetto Thug franchise doesn't count). Central Florida has ... Theme parks and a pretty crappy standard of living. Hardly a fair comparison.
I wasn't even going to comment on this thread because any city Orlando is matched up against people start bashing like above^.

Do you guys actually believe that for a city to do well in a City vs City thread, that it has to be the same size, density, or have some other arbitrary statistic going for it? Sure those stats prove a lot, but if those were the only things that mattered, then I could give you a statistical ranking of all cities and we could stop having these discussions.

The above poster doesn't even live in a major metropolitan area and goes around other threads acting like he's from Beverly Hills or Manhattan. While I share that poster's defense of Atlanta from similar attacks to what he's doing to Orlando, I don't understand how comments like the one above can be taken seriously by any legitimate posters on here.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I wasn't even going to comment on this thread because any city Orlando is matched up against people start bashing like above^.

Do you guys actually believe that in for a city to do well in a City vs City thread, that it has to be the same size, density, o have some other arbitrary statistic going for it? Sure those stats prove a lot, but if those were the only things that mattered, then I could give you a statistical ranking of all cities and we could stop having these discussions.

The above poster doesn't even live in a major metropolitan area and goes around other threads acting like he's from Beverly Hills or Manhattan. While I share that poster's defense of Atlanta from similar attacks to what he's doing to Orlando, I don't understand how comments like the one above can be taken seriously by any legitimate posters on here.
Exactly, Metro Orlando's nice areas are loaded with millionaires and exclusive areas. Hardly a low standard of living. If Orlando is a low standard of living, so is every other city in the country with a hint of international diversity.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Exactly, Metro Orlando's nice areas are loaded with millionaires and exclusive areas. Hardly a low standard of living. If Orlando is a low standard of living, so is every other city in the country with a hint of international diversity.
Right on Grap! I'm not pretending that Orlando is the cat's meow like LA, but let's not kid ourselves about Dallas here either. I'm willing to have an intelligent exchange about what each city offers vs the other (there should be some give and take involved), but if it's just going to be people stating sterotypes and misconceptions about Dallas or Orlando, then I'm bowing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City