Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Dallas
Orlando 35 33.02%
Dallas 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Do you guys actually believe that for a city to do well in a City vs City thread, that it has to be the same size, density, or have some other arbitrary statistic going for it? Sure those stats prove a lot, but if those were the only things that mattered, then I could give you a statistical ranking of all cities and we could stop having these discussions.
Actually, I am sick of the OP's ridiculous "Orlando vs" series of threads. After such comparisons as Orlando vs DC, San Francisco, and New York City I came to the conclusion that the guy just makes threads to see Orlando get bashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Orlando, like any other metro has it faults, but IMHO, I'd say that it's one of the better up and coming Sunbelt metros. However, to constantly compare Orlando to metros like DFW, DC, NY, SF, ATL, etc.., just isn't fair to Orlando. A more fair comparison to Orlando would be be metros like Charlotte, Nashville, RDU, San Antonio, etc...

Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Orlando, like any other metro has it faults, but IMHO, I'd say that it's one of the better up and coming Sunbelt metros. However, to constantly compare Orlando to metros like DFW, DC, NY, SF, ATL, etc.., just isn't fair to Orlando. A more fair comparison to Orlando would be be metros like Charlotte, Nashville, RDU, San Antonio, etc...
^^^^This.

Las Vegas would be a good one because both are entertainment capitals.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Those are mid-size cities. Orlando is not a mid-size city, so it's fair to compare it with cities, such as Dallas and Houston.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Those are mid-size cities. Orlando is not a mid-size city, so it's fair to compare it with cities, such as Dallas and Houston.
Sorry, but you are wrong. Orlando is much closer to those cities in population than Dallas, Atlanta, or Houston, let alone DC, San Francisco, or NYC!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
Quote:
Dallas and Houston are not mid sized cities.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
lol no.. I think you are mistaking that other metro in Florida called Miami for Orlando...
Orlando is like 2 mil metro, Dallas and Houston are both over 5 mil...
Different league.

Orlando would be comparable to Austin or San Antonio.

As a choice of a place to live... again, I'd pick Orlando every time, even though Dallas wins in almost every category. I like the Central Florida and Eastern Seaboard location much more over North Texas.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol no.. I think you are mistaking that other metro in Florida called Miami for Orlando...
Orlando is like 2 mil metro, Dallas and Houston are both over 5 mil...
Different league.

Orlando would be comparable to Austin or San Antonio.

As a choice of a place to live... again, I'd pick Orlando every time, even though Dallas wins in almost every category. I like the Central Florida and Eastern Seaboard location much more over North Texas.
Both are over 6M.

Anyway, I like Orlando better than Dallas, but it is clear that in every category the OP listed Dallas trumps Orlando (well maybe except Housing)

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Both are over 6M.

Anyway, I like Orlando better than Dallas, but it is clear that in every category the OP listed Dallas trumps Orlando (well maybe except Housing)
Well, the point remains even stronger...it is 3x bigger.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
^^ THIS! Hello?! What did I say?! "Orlando and Dallas is not a fair comparison." WHY? For starters, because DFW has 3-plus times the population and an economy that is not primarily driven by tourism! I wouldn't compare DFW and Orlando any more than I would compare Atlanta and NYC! They are in 2 completely different leagues. And yea, right now the QOL, the economy, the standard of living in Central Florida IS PRETTY CRAPPY compard to not just DFW, but all of Texas!

Quote:
The above poster doesn't even live in a major metropolitan area and goes around other threads acting like he's from Beverly Hills or Manhattan. While I share that poster's defense of Atlanta from similar attacks to what he's doing to Orlando, I don't understand how comments like the one above can be taken seriously by any legitimate posters on here.
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE I LIVE? Because i currently happen to reside in Savannah, I'm not supposed to have an opinion about Orlando? I guess the 25 years I've spent working in the NEWS industry (thus the screen name, and most of it in ATLANTA) doesn't qualify me to know A LOT of stuff about A LOT of other places? GUESS WHAT: It does. DEAL WITH IT! I know my stuff, kid.

Funny thing is, I like Orlando, have many friends who live there and have spent much time there! I know the difference between Colonialtown, Conway, Cassleberry and St. Cloud! I know what it's like to be stuck at a traffic light on south OBT at 3 am surrounded by dealers and hustlers waving at you on every corner, and trying to get through Sunday morning traffic when First Baptist Church lets out! And I know that in THIS forum certain Orlando boosters with gaga in their eyes just can't get past the fact that Orlando is what it is and always seem to pretend its some major league city on the level of DFW or ATL or HOU or LA ... and it's not! Wasn't that what the OP asked to begin with?

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-10-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City