Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 47,336 times

Advertisements

My husband works with a major airlines. Our current residence has made commuting a nightmare -- 2 hour drive then a 2 hour plane ride to base. Completely impratical -- means more time away from home and kids than neccesary. So we are looking to move to a base -- hence the title of the post. But where to go?????
We are looking to live near a young, vibrant town. We moved to our current home from north of Dallas (north Dallas seems young and vibrant--or atleast it did then). However the draw backs were the hot summers and the lack of seasons. Our kids (3 kids) love to ski -- can't find that in Dallas (Also we despise fireants -- we like to enjoy our backyard). I feel climate eliminates PHX, Orlando and Houston.
Oakland -- high crime and high cost of living. Chicago -- high crime, Baltimore --ditto. So I am completely perplexed, frustrated, etc.
As mentioned we would like to live near a young, vibrant, well-educated, upper middle class area -- high quality of health and well being, low crime etc (as example we enjoy visiting Boston). MUST HAVE EXCELLENT SCHOOLS. Also it would be nice if the residents were welcoming of outsiders (seems in a lot of posts people are cold to newcomers). Our housing budget is $300,000.
And we must live within two hours drive of one of the above cities. Anyone have any suggestions -- time is of the essence. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Chicago would be the most vibrant and offers a wide selection of homes in your price range.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
I'm sure you could find a nice neighborhood in any of those cities that will meet your criteria. I would probably give the edge to Chicago, but how are the schools? Can you ski in Chicago? Are cold winters better than hot summers? You're going to have to figure out your priorities and compromise somewhere.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Chicago or SFBay area (u don't have to live in Oakland)...

my 2 favorite "normal" cities...

I prefer Chicago for what the actual *city* offers but I think SFBay kills it for outdoors, climate, scenic beauty. San Fran is not exactly a pushover either. Plus you are closer to some real ski areas...like Tahoe and Yosemite.

might put you out of the price range though in SFbay if you are IN the city or Marin... but u can find places outside and commute. Chicago is doable pretty close to downtown for that budget...that puts you an hour from ohare on the blue and almost that in most traffic. They both have good public transportation though for the metro area... Chicago does better within the city. You'll save more money in Chicago that being said... but depending on what you like to do, there might be more in one area to sway you.

CPS school system SUCKS though, while SFBay as far as I know has an excellent public school system especially when you get into CC/4 year/grad programs.

I lived in Chicago and never had any crime issues in 3 1/2 years... though I have had about 5 incidents in supposedly "safer" areas and cities.

Last edited by grapico; 03-29-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 10:50 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Oakland -- high crime and high cost of living.
$300,000 in Oakland gets you this...

$289,000(2bd/1bth)--would have been $489,000(or maybe $589K) 1.5 years ago so this is a great deal considering this market and how its totally likely prices will rise to and surpass previous levels eventually.

Located close to Mills College, in an area of Oakland that is predominantly made up of middle to upper middle class African American households.

Quote:
Chicago or SFBay area (u don't have to live in Oakland)...
Most people who know SF and Oakland well would probably pick Oakland.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 47,336 times
Just to modify my initial post..... We are not looking to move directly to a base but must be within 2 hours of one of them. We are looking more for a nearby city or area that is young, professional, cultural, etc (as mentioned in initial post). However for the actual town we live in we would like a small rural town. For an example the current town we live in has one stop light!! However it is not close to a base and is completely lacking the adjacent young, vibrant city. We have three children (two school age) and EXCELLENT schools are a must.
Does anyone have thoughts one areas surrounding MDW (Chicago) or even areas around Baltimore?? We were thinking southern PA -- but do any towns in southern PA classify as young professional, vibrant, and cultural? And how are outsiders treated?
Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
I'd do Dallas.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Check out Adams County, PA. It would be less than a two hour commute to BWI.

You could get a nice place within your budget, and Gettysburg is a great little College town.

Also check out Carroll County, MD northwest of Baltimore (about an hour commute).

I can tell which airline he works for by the choices you have!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM

894 posts, read 2,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving to a base View Post
Just to modify my initial post..... We are not looking to move directly to a base but must be within 2 hours of one of them. We are looking more for a nearby city or area that is young, professional, cultural, etc (as mentioned in initial post). However for the actual town we live in we would like a small rural town. For an example the current town we live in has one stop light!! However it is not close to a base and is completely lacking the adjacent young, vibrant city. We have three children (two school age) and EXCELLENT schools are a must.
Does anyone have thoughts one areas surrounding MDW (Chicago) or even areas around Baltimore?? We were thinking southern PA -- but do any towns in southern PA classify as young professional, vibrant, and cultural? And how are outsiders treated?
Thanks.
the areas surrounding midway in chicago are getting worse every year

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
the areas surrounding midway in chicago are getting worse every year
It is? My Dad lives just South of Midway and it's very quiet and very diverse. I never noticed any bad action when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City