Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Dallas
Orlando 35 33.02%
Dallas 71 66.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^ THIS! Hello?! What did I say?! "Orlando and Dallas is not a fair comparison." WHY? For starters, because DFW has 3-plus times the population and an economy that is not primarily driven by tourism! I wouldn't compare DFW and Orlando any more than I would compare Atlanta and NYC! They are in 2 completely different leagues. And yea, right now the QOL, the economy, the standard of living in Central Florida IS PRETTY CRAPPY compard to not just DFW, but all of Texas!
Well for one I would never disagree that Orlando get unfairly compared to much larger metros. And while I would never compare Atlanta to NYC either, I don't think the disparity between Orlando and Dallas is nearly as great as Atlanta or DFW is to NYC. Call me crazy but relatively small downtowns surrounded by suburbia are more comparable to one another than the ultimate urban city of New York is to anything in Texas or Florida. And as far as your claim about the standard of living in Central Florida being pretty crappy, it couldn't be more off. Sure we have a lower percentage of high income jobs compared to the Texaplex lol, but we do have plenty of good jobs for those who are qualified. Also one's idea of standard of living comes into play and I'm sorry, but most everybody in my family and circle of friends do quite well and are not lamenting our so called poor economy. If I moved to Dallas tomorrow, I would not be granted some miracle job just because the economy is better. I would have to be qualified, and perhaps even just known the right folks to get some of those jobs. Perhaps quality of life also entails more than just jobs, and the QOL (which is strikingly similar if you actually compared), but again call me crazy.

Quote:
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE I LIVE? Because i currently happen to reside in Savannah, I'm not supposed to have an opinion about Orlando? I guess the 25 years I've spent working in the NEWS industry (thus the screen name, and most of it in ATLANTA) doesn't qualify me to know A LOT of stuff about A LOT of other places? GUESS WHAT: It does. DEAL WITH IT! I know my stuff, kid.
It makes a difference when you say stuff like Central Florida is pretty much just a theme park with a crappy standard of living. It makes a difference when you come off as an arrogant know it all about a region in which you do not live, and thus have no real skin in the game. It also makes a difference when you assume that you can simply say you like Orlando and then spout stereotypes and generalizations about an entire region as if that's all there is to it. With a background such as yours in journalism, I'd imagine a little more reporting of both sides would go into it than:
Quote:
DFW is the 4th largest metro in the country and a major league city (sorry O-town but an NBA Ghetto Thug franchise doesn't count). Central Florida has ... Theme parks and a pretty crappy standard of living. Hardly a fair comparison.
Yeah eat your own words buddy, or should I just sink to the level of calling DFW a giant cowboy western wrangling honky tonk bull rider's paradise with a bunch of corporate minions doing the bidding of F500 titans? Yeah that sure paints an accurate portrait of Dallas and Texas in general right? Wait I forgot that most of what I said is considered a compliment in Texas.

Quote:
Funny thing is, I like Orlando, have many friends who live there and have spent much time there! I know the difference between Colonialtown, Conway, Cassleberry and St. Cloud! I know what it's like to be stuck at a traffic light on south OBT at 3 am surrounded by dealers and hustlers waving at you on every corner, and trying to get through Sunday morning traffic when First Baptist Church lets out! And I know that in THIS forum certain Orlando boosters with gaga in their eyes just can't get past the fact that Orlando is what it is and always seem to pretend its some major league city on the level of DFW or ATL or HOU or LA ... and it's not! Wasn't that what the OP asked to begin with?
Funny thing is, I like (for lack of a better word) Dallas, have many "friends" who live there and have spend much time (working) there. I know the difference between Oak Lawn, Plano, Hurst, Mesquite, McKinney, Arlington, and Fort Worth. So while you can pretend that it's the Orlando boosters that are the problem here for not admitting we are a mid-sized metro, I think it's insane that you call DFW, ATL, and HOU major league in the same sense that LA is.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 02-10-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 PM

166 posts, read 376,295 times
orlando is one of the better "small market" cities out there however I don't think it holds a candle to other sunbelt metros such as dfw or phx. it's a nice city to visit for the attractions however florida's overwhelming thug and redneck culture just doesn't do it for me. I understand it happens here in phx too but at least i know where to escape it at the same time.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 AM

285 posts, read 567,928 times
Orlando is a sad joke of a city.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Excuse me again for borrowing a stereotype, but all stereotypes are based on some TRUTH and "Florida's thug and redneck culture" pretty much sums it up for me. Yeah there are exceptions, but overall DFW is simply a far far FAR (did I say FAR?) more sophisticated and upscale metro area than Orlando can ever hope to be! But at least you guys can now keep your mustaches AND your minimum wage Disney jobs!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:37 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
You can even compare Orlando to Houston. They are comparable to size and diversity.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You can even compare Orlando to Houston. They are comparable to size and diversity.
Who do you buy from? Tell me their name and I'll assure you that I get the authorities to lock that man away for distributing such deluded drugs

Houston is 3 times larger than Orlando and is one of the most diverse places on the continent, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, and Miami are all certainly bunched with Houston because they're in the same league. Orlando? Not so much, its a nice city and I don't have any beef with it but lets put the pipe down now

Old 02-11-2012, 05:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What is your problem, do you constantly create threads to bash Orlando, complete with delusions? The cat is out of the bag here.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Excuse me again for borrowing a stereotype, but all stereotypes are based on some TRUTH and "Florida's thug and redneck culture" pretty much sums it up for me. Yeah there are exceptions, but overall DFW is simply a far far FAR (did I say FAR?) more sophisticated and upscale metro area than Orlando can ever hope to be! But at least you guys can now keep your mustaches AND your minimum wage Disney jobs!
Uhh paint with a broad brush lately? And what's all this sophistication you're spouting off about? How does that make one place preferable over another. These threads are about comparing 2 potential relocation cities in a variety of categories by listing the pros and cons each has. This business of "said city has this while other said city does not" is pretty foolish and counterproductive. Come back when you have something worthwhile and beneficial to add to this discussion. Oh and everyone I know who works at Disney (and gets us in for free) are in professional jobs and make pretty nice livings. And you should really do your homework on Disney since all of their starting wages are above the federal minimum wage, can't say that about all the Wal-Mart's and trailer parks in the Georgia low country now can you?

P.S. I really don't feel that way about GA, but I'm mirroring the ridiculously insulting behavior that's been incorrectly directed at Florida.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
lol, if the concern is ghetto and redneck culture, Georgia FAR surpasses anything Florida could possibly dream of.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
I'm sure Orlando nice, but it should be compared to metros around its size like Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte, ect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City