Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
If Chicago is so misearable in the summer, then why are the streets packed with people walking, running, people on boats, people shopping, eating alfresco, bike riding, walking dogs, etc.? Chicago becomes crazy alive in the summer with pedestrian life. If it was so hot like Houston or Phoenix in the summer, the streets would be dead.

For those of you saying that Chicago is unbearably hot and humid in the summer you obviously have never been to Chicago or to Chicago in the summer. There are far and few days where it gets unbearably hot. Winter I will admit can be tough, but summer is absolutely amazing.

For all my Chicagoans, you will probably remember that we had a very cool summer a few years back, where we would barely go over 85, and a lot of days it was in the 70's. I really can't say that was any fun at all. To me weather in the 70's is not a real summer. It's not comfortable enough so that you can be at the beach all day, or stay out too late at night as it gets cooler.

I understand some of you like Seattle weather better than Chicago, I totally understand. However, you need to stop exaggerating, Chicago's summer. Chicago's winter I can see how some of you think they are really bad, which they can be.

As for comparing Chicago summers to Nashville summers there is a big difference in the simple fact that Chicago lies on Lake Michigan while Nashville is not near a very large body of water. It's king of like how San Diego is very comfortable while the further you get from the ocean the hotter it gets. Same with Chicago.
Chicago summer is awesome. It isn't near as "hot / humid " as people are making it out to be. I think it could personally be even hotter and be fine. If you are coming from the west coast though, you'll definitely notice the humidity when getting off the plane. But once you are used to it, hardly an issue. The summer in Chicago is nothing like summer in the south. South is quite a bit more hot and humid, and when really stifling, gets to the point of sticky irritation. Chicago simply never gets to that level of heat and humidity. It's not even hot and humid as the summers in DC or NY, much less the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago summer is awesome. It isn't near as "hot / humid " as people are making it out to be. I think it could personally be even hotter and be fine. If you are coming from the west coast though, you'll definitely notice the humidity when getting off the plane. But once you are used to it, hardly an issue. .
You don't get used to humidity. You tolerate it.

Why bother?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

Why bother?
Plus, not everyone gets used to it. I've lived in middle TN my entire life and I've never gotten used to it. And each year it's harder to tolerate. Last year I started having anxiety attacks when it first started getting hot. That was a new experience.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

Why bother?
There is a difference between Chicago humidity and Houston/Miami humidity. What that poster meant was Chicago summers are not dry, but there is humidity in the air which coming from a dry place like Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Deigo, etc you can instantly feel and it might seem very humid to you because well those people from dry climates are just not used to it at all. However, it would be noticeable but not uncomfortable. Just like San Diego is dry however it is not as dry as Phoenix in the summer.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Plus, not everyone gets used to it. I've lived in middle TN my entire life and I've never gotten used to it. And each year it's harder to tolerate. Last year I started having anxiety attacks when it first started getting hot. That was a new experience.
Like I said, whatever floats your boat. I know people in Chicago that love winter but hate summer, because they love the cold. Some people prefer cool, rainy climates, while others prefer distinct four seasons in which it can be extreme at times.

Personally for me, I love the cold, I love the heat, I love spring/fall weather, and I really like snow. I can tolerate overcast days, but the one thing I hate is rain/drizzle, just wetness. For anyone that knows, it is more annoying to walk in the rain than in the snow. While you your feet might get wet from walking when it's snowing, you are pretty much dry above that with snow. Without an umbrella in the rain, good luck staying dry and being comfortable.

From what I have seen more people are hesitant to go out and do things when it's raining than when it's snowing (unless there is a blizzard) here in Chicago.

Very few people say "Hey let's go out and play in the rain" more people say "Hey let's go play out in the snow".

Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Seattle has 4 solid seasons too.
hahahah.....you have two seasons -- rain and no rain. "Winter" is 40, and summer is 75. That has to be one of the LEAST dynamic weather cities in the country. You should embrace this instead of pretending you have seasons. In fact, Seattle's recent growth has a lot to do with the fact that people there go for the weather (or lack of weather).

Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Yeah, but everyone knows Minneapolis gets hot in the summer - people don't realize how pleasant and warm Seattle is in the summer.

Also, Alki Beach and Madison Park (two popular beach areas in Seattle) have a lot more development right there - outdoor cafes, restaurants, rollerblading roads, etc.
I personally wouldn't go in the pool or lake if it was under 80 degrees, and more specifically, I don't WANT to go to the pool/lake unless it's at least 85 -- it's just too chilly otherwise. I assume nobody in Seattle jumps into the ocean, right?! Lakes only.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Most Seattleites don't own an umbrella. It doesn't rain hard enough to worry about getting soaked. I never had one. Seattleites can play in the snow. Only about 40 minutes east of the city in the mountains, which is fine with me. Also once you've lived on the west coast, Chicago will feel oppressively humid and bitterly cold in the winter to us. If I came to Chicago from most other parts of the country it probably wouldn't bother me.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Most Seattleites don't own an umbrella. It doesn't rain hard enough to worry about getting soaked. I never had one. Seattleites can play in the snow. Only about 40 minutes east of the city in the mountains, which is fine with me. Also once you've lived on the west coast, Chicago will feel oppressively humid and bitterly cold in the winter to us. If I came to Chicago from most other parts of the country it probably wouldn't bother me.
However Seattle is very wet, no? It might not rain hard, but it is very drizzly/misty and I have heard it takes significantly a much longer time to just dry your towel after taking a bath than it does in other parts of the country. Not that it is a deciding factor but it's what I have heard.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 PM

Why wouldn't you own an umbrella in Seattle? That's the stupidest thing I've heard today! The reason I use an umbrella is: because I can't get my hair wet without messing it up badly; and because most employers and people in general don't view people who are sopping wet with much dignity and respect -- therefore I try to avoid being soaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City