Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has it BETTER
Seattle/Portland/PNW (rainy, not so much sunshine, but mild weather) 60 53.10%
Boston/Philly/NE (4 seasons, more sunshine, but very cold winters, humid summers) 53 46.90%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 AM

339 posts, read 2,204,638 times

Advertisements

Who do you think has it better: Seattle/Portland/the PNW vs Philadelphia/Boston/other NE cities? Seattle/Portland have milder weather (doesn't get freezing cold, no snow), but its constantly gloomy for 9 months of the year which can be a real drag for many people. On the other hand, Boston/Philly get 4 seasons, more sunshine (overall days), but have bitter cold winters and lots of snow (perhaps a plus for some)?

I dunno, what do you guys think is a better overall climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
I really enjoy rain, so I'll take Seattle!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
I wouldnt say its "consistently gloomy" for 9 months of the year at all for Seattle/Portland. Not even close. This February, March, and April had plenty of sunny days. Last week, it was sunny 6-10 days in a row. It was sunny today and most of yesterday. Most years, there can be plenty of sunny days for 5-9 months of the year. About 3-5 months of the year there isnt that much rain here at all. Actually, most places in the East and South get more precipitation than Seattle/Portland, including the Northeast. However, parts of the Northwest do get much more precipitation than Seattle/Portland.

And "not so much" sunshine? Seattle for example gets about 2,000 annual sunshine hours. Technically speaking, thats a lot of sunshine. If it is compared to a place like Phoenix, it might not seem like a lot of sunshine, but many places in northern and western Europe get as much sun or even less sun than Seattle. Some people make it sound like this region of the world gets only 100 hours of sunshine or something like that, which is far from the truth.

Also, I think Seattle and Portland get 4 seasons, even though the temperatures may be moderate year round most of the time. The Northwest DOES get 4 seasons and I disagree with that. I find plenty of pronounced weather variations here in the Northwest throughout the year. In the winter, areas of the Cascades and Olympic mountain range literally get at least 100 inches of snow a year, while areas of the Pacific coast here is usually snow free throughout the winter but still can get into the 30s-40s. In the summer, it can be 75-85 degrees here while in the higher elevations it can be in the 30s-70s.

Seattle in December 2009 was in the 20s-40s, January 2010 40s-50s, February was in the 50s-60s, March it was in the 60s-70s, while in April it went from the upper 30s-50s to 60s in the past week. In August 2009, it went from the upper 80s-low 100s to the 50s-70s within a few weeks with low 30s-low 50s in the higher elevations. There is definitely a 4 season weather variation here.

I overall find quite a few people to be delusional about how the weather really is here.

I actually choose the Northeast for weather in this poll because I like snow and Seattle and Portland usually doesnt get snow(however I could easily get lots of snow a few hours away in the mountains. I went to Mount Rainier two hours away from Seattle in mid February and there was at least 4 feet of snow there). Even though I voted for the Northeast, I find plenty of positives about the weather/climate in the Northwest and like it. The Northeast, and Northwest are my two favorite weather regions in America as well as Hawaii. And no, I like sunny weather. I find plenty of sunny days here in the Northwest. I hate the weather/climate in most areas of the South, Midwest, Desert southwest and someone couldnt pay me to live there, mostly because I hate hot temperatures above 85-90 degrees, and thunderstorms.

This is how I would classify the two regions you mention:

Seattle/Portland/Pacific Northwest: 4 seasons, More rainy late fall-early spring and more dry late spring-early fall, More sunshine/as much sunshine Late spring-early fall and less sunshine late fall-early spring, Usually milder weather year round with some exceptions.
Boston/Philadelphia/Northeast: 4 seasons, More dry late fall-early spring and more rainy late spring-early fall Less sunshine/as much sunshine late spring-early fall and more sunshine late fall/early spring, Usually colder winters and hotter summers.

Last edited by ; 04-26-2010 at 03:09 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

293 posts, read 900,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Who do you think has it better: Seattle/Portland/the PNW vs Philadelphia/Boston/other NE cities? Seattle/Portland have milder weather (doesn't get freezing cold, no snow), but its constantly gloomy for 9 months of the year which can be a real drag for many people. On the other hand, Boston/Philly get 4 seasons, more sunshine (overall days), but have bitter cold winters and lots of snow (perhaps a plus for some)?

I dunno, what do you guys think is a better overall climate?
The whole "gloomy nine months out the year" thing is so over exaggerated. People who have never been here act like there's never any sunshine in the winter. While just this winter there was plenty of sunny days. Plus Seattle also has a good amount of days that start cloudy, but then get and stay sunny through the rest of the day.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
The whole "gloomy nine months out the year" thing is so over exaggerated. People who have never been here act like there's never any sunshine in the winter. While just this winter there was plenty of sunny days. Plus Seattle also has a good amount of days that start cloudy, but then get and stay sunny through the rest of the day.

I would agree according to wiki

Seattle has 138 days of precipitation
Philadelphia has 119 days

Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Seattle/Portland weather any day over Philadelphia, though I must say I think Boston and Philly's weather are not the same.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post

Yeah, people exaggerate the weather in the Northwest...This winter was especially warm, but every winter I've lived in Oregon seems to have a stretch of bluebird skies and mild weather. It will ocassionally get into the 60s in the middle of February. You just have to be prepared for any type of weather in Seattle and Portland however...It can rain in the morning and be perfectly sunny in the afternoon all through the springtime.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
In the winter months Philadelphia averages the following % of sunshine... Nov: 52%, Dec: 49%, Jan: 50%, Feb: 53%, Mar: 55%.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Seattle averages the following % of sunshine... Nov: 28%, Dec: 23%, Jan: 28%, Feb: 34%, Mar: 42%.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Seattle, Washington, United States of America

As you can see, during the winter months Philly averages a lot more sun than Seattle. Once again, those are averages, but one can easily see the difference.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

339 posts, read 2,204,638 times
I'm well aware of Portland weather as I've lived here my whole life. Yeah, there are stretches of sunshine, even in the winter, but then there are more days of overcast to make up for it. Last week, we had sunshine nearly the whole week, but now this whole week is overcast again. There's a reason why people complain about the weather here. Having said that, I think I personally prefer the rain because snow frankly sucks.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:34 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In the winter months Philadelphia averages the following % of sunshine... Nov: 52%, Dec: 49%, Jan: 50%, Feb: 53%, Mar: 55%.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America

Seattle averages the following % of sunshine... Nov: 28%, Dec: 23%, Jan: 28%, Feb: 34%, Mar: 42%.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Seattle, Washington, United States of America

As you can see, during the winter months Philly averages a lot more sun than Seattle. Once again, those are averages, but one can easily see the difference.
I noticed in some weather statistics a day like January 19, 2009 that start out like this

but end up like this

..go down as being partly cloudy or even mostly cloudy in some books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City