Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times

Advertisements

I just hate the rain, and I can handle overcast, but in Seattle it's just too much. For instance today in Chicago is a perfect example of a typical Seattle winter day in Chicago. It's like 43 degrees today, drizzly and overcast in Chicago. I just get so depressed. Whatever floats your boat. I prefer snow over rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Chicago summers are 100x better so that pretty much cancels out its horrible winters. Seattle is basically mediocrity all year round. Chicago's at least tropical 3-4 months of the year, therefore Chicago wins.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
I like a solid 4 seasons...so Chicago for me.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Seattle by a mile. Once you get adjusted to humidity free heat, there is no going back. Late fall and winter are mild and rainy/drizzly with occasional snow. Summer, early fall and spring are pleasant and mild to warm. Sounds perfect to me. It is basically wetter, colder Bay Area weather.

I'll do anything to avoid summer humidity. Chicago weather is OK in the fall and spring. But winter and summer suck.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM

157 posts, read 332,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Both have terrible weather but there is something terribly appealing to me about Seattle's weather. Makes me wanna read a great book (or City-Data) in a coffee shop and watch the rail fall. Later, I'd head down to the fish market and pick up an amazing dinner, and prepare to go hiking the next day in the nice temperate weather. However, I'd freeze in either location, and the 2 days of dreary weather we got last week really affected my mood. Put it this way, Seattle weather sounds ideal, but it's probably not for me.
Hahaha after my experience in San Francisco, I think I'll take sunshine anyday!!! I do miss the fog a bit, but that's why you take vacations for visits Definitely need to visit both Chicago & Seattle at some point to experience both the winter & summer to get a better idea

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM

33 posts, read 95,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Chicago summers are 100x better so that pretty much cancels out its horrible winters. Seattle is basically mediocrity all year round. Chicago's at least tropical 3-4 months of the year, therefore Chicago wins.
You've clearly never been to Seattle and know nothing about it - Seattle and much of the Pacific Northwest have the best summers in the country:

"It hardly ever rains in June, July, or August, and the days are so sunny and clear you’ll wonder why they say it rains all the time here. You’ll find everybody outside kayaking, sailing Puget Sound, walking, running, and sitting in the afternoon sun. The summer temperatures are usually a pleasant 75, although there are occasional heat waves that bring it up to the high 80s or low 90s."

Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM

146 posts, read 225,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Both of these cities are notorious for bad weather. One has gloomy, depressing, rainy winters the other has long brutally cold winters. While sometimes I think people overexaggerate, what city's weather/climate do you prefer?

Let's keep this strictly to weather.
Weather-wise, hands down Seattle. Seattle's climate tends to be fairly predictable and overall mild while Chicago basically oscillates between Fairbanks during one part of the year and Phoenix during the other...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
It's AMAZING to me how many people are afraid of the cold, because otherwise Chicago would take the cake! I like SOME rain but not 3 of every 4 days on average!!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator487 View Post
Weather-wise, hands down Seattle. Seattle's climate tends to be fairly predictable and overall mild while Chicago basically oscillates between Fairbanks during one part of the year and Phoenix during the other...
Do people really think Chicago is like this? I will agree Chicago is very unpredictable when it comes to weather. However, I think everyone is exaggerating about the heat. It does not get that hot. Chicago can get pretty darn cold, but Chicago summers are amazing.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I prefer snow over rain.
Most people say they do. Until they are stuck in it freezing their asses off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City