Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,390 times

Advertisements

Seattle by far! This one's not close.

Seattle's reputation for bad rain is overrated. Chicago's reputation for extreme weather is the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Chicago gets more sunshine than Seattle though. I think hands down Denver has better weather than Chicago and Seattle.
Yeah definitely, but I don't think it is drastically enough sunshine to compensate for Seattle being milder, and Chicago being colder. Hence why I said Denver would be a more interesting argument. Denver is def colder than Seattle but very sunny.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I'm a former Chicagoan.

Let me tell you, I LOVE SEATTLE WEATHER.

It rarely snows here unless you live in the foothills of the mountains. You don' thave to contend with potentially feet of snow. On the flip side, WSDOT is overburdened by highway maintenance in the Cascade mountrains, so you get poor maintenance in the cities and lowlands.

It rarely gets above 85. Even when it does, the humidity is rarely 100% in the summer. It does NOT rain often in the summer. Summers here are second to NONE in the whole country.

It's so mild here, almost nobody has AC.

It rarely gets below 20 deg F.

I do not miss the Chicago summers of 95+ deg F with 100% humidity. I do not miss the feet of snow coupled with sub zero temperatures.

And any Chicagoan will attest that they will trade a little grey skies and a little drizzle (what passes for rain here in Seattle) versus feet of snow.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Both have terrible weather but there is something terribly appealing to me about Seattle's weather. Makes me wanna read a great book (or City-Data) in a coffee shop and watch the rail fall. Later, I'd head down to the fish market and pick up an amazing dinner, and prepare to go hiking the next day in the nice temperate weather. However, I'd freeze in either location, and the 2 days of dreary weather we got last week really affected my mood. Put it this way, Seattle weather sounds ideal, but it's probably not for me.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

And any Chicagoan will attest that they will trade a little grey skies and a little drizzle (what passes for rain here in Seattle) versus feet of snow.
This point is very difficult for many to understand. But it is in fact a slam dunk.

45 and drizzle, versus 20, strong wind and snow?

No brainer.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:51 PM

292 posts, read 752,377 times
Here's the deal with Seattle. 3 months of the year are as good as weather gets - ~80 degrees, sunny, refreshing breeze, the lakes and beaches are full (not to mention everything is green).

The other 9 months are mostly rainy and grey, with occasional cold spells during mid winter (20's and high teens at the worst) but usually in the 40's.

Overall, way better than Chicago. The humidity in Chicago is unbearable during the summer. I kind of like the cold winters but they get old quick.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Here's the deal with Seattle. 3 months of the year are as good as weather gets - ~80 degrees, sunny, refreshing breeze, the lakes and beaches are full (not to mention everything is green).

The other 9 months are mostly rainy and grey, with occasional cold spells during mid winter (20's and high teens at the worst) but usually in the 40's.
I never understood the 3 month 9 month thing. I never in 12 years of living in Seattle did I ever experience 9 months of mostly rainy and grey.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
Since when is either of that bad weather?
If I ever move from chicago seattle would be awesome.
I love that cloudy weather.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Seattle wins hands down! Chicago is just absolutely miserable. -10 October-May and then 120 June-September. No thanks!
Haha, I assume you're being sarcastic, right?!?

October 15th average high: 65 degrees
November 15th average high: 50 degrees
March 15th average high: 47 degrees
April 15th average high: 60 degrees
May 15th average high: 70 degrees

June through September is very stable for the most part in the low 80's. Most people here actually think it's pretty hilarious some of the views people have about our weather. Like "winter is 6 months long!" "summer is brutally hot!" "it's below zero for weeks on end!".

Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah definitely, but I don't think it is drastically enough sunshine to compensate for Seattle being milder, and Chicago being colder. Hence why I said Denver would be a more interesting argument. Denver is def colder than Seattle but very sunny.
I realize that cold sucks but I prefer cold sunny days over an overcast mild day. I would be depressed in Seattle weatherwise.

Chicago:

Seattle:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City