Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition ,Urbanity,Cosmopolitan
Atlanta-Washington D.C. 19 32.76%
Charlotte-Atlanta 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition

Atlanta-Washington D.C.
or
Charlotte-Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times
DC is nothing like Atlanta

Charlotte is mini Atlanta.

Atlanta and Charlotte suck.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Nobody overseas has heard of Atlanta or Charlotte except maybe in the context.

Foreigner: "Where are you from?"
ATL Local: "I'm from Atlanta"
Foreigner: "Where's that?"
ATL Local: "Its where Coke comes from and we had the olympics a while back"
Foreigner: "....oh." then walks away

So they're more alike on international name recognition because neither has any.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 AM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
I don't get it. Why are you comparing two similarly-sized metros and then a metro that's about 1/3 the size of the larger one? This doesn't make any sense.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
All three fairly distanced from one another on this scale but on a relative scale DC and Atlanta are likely closer on recognition than are Atlanta and Charlotte. That being said there is a very large distance between DC and Atlanta

DC as the capital is way more widely known than Atlanta, which would be closer to a Dallas, Houston, Philly, Boston etc. than to a DC on an international basis

Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Nobody overseas has heard of Atlanta or Charlotte except maybe in the context.

Foreigner: "Where are you from?"
ATL Local: "I'm from Atlanta"
Foreigner: "Where's that?"
ATL Local: "Its where Coke comes from and we had the olympics a while back"
Foreigner: "....oh." then walks away

So they're more alike on international name recognition because neither has any.
If that were really so then why is Atlanta just after Philly and San Diego in international visitation?I travel frequently too and while I admit Atlanta is not a house hold name,there are people that do know something about it much about it.I knew when I created this poll Charlotte and Atlanta would be picked by most people even though Charlotte has a market share much smaller.No where near Atlanta on an International level.Itl is not even on the blimp.

In 2008 Atlanta market share was at 2.1%
Philly had a market share of 2.8%
San Diego 2.7%
Washington D.C. market share is 5.8% and its 7th in the U.S.

In 2009 Atlanta ranked 13th again with the largest percentage gain @7% out of the top 20 cities..Most had decreases.
Atlanta-2.4%
Philly-2.5%
D.C.-6.5(5%increase)
Atlanta ranked above Houston,Seattle,Dallas,Anaheim,CA,Flagstafff,AZ and San Jose.
So comparatively speaking Atlanta is as well known as Philly judging by visitors.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreac...and_Cities.pdf

Last edited by afonega1; 02-06-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Closer to Charlotte. When I'm traveling, I often don't even say I'm from Atlanta because people don't know where it is. I say Georgia--kids tend to learn the states of the US a lot more than the major cities.

DC, on the other hand, is huge in international name recognition, probably #3 behind NYC and LA.

This does vary a bit by location. In Africa, Atlanta probably has the highest relative name recognition, maybe top 5 in the US. This is due to a number of things: immigration, Coca-Cola being the most ubiquitous corporation on the continent, MLK (who has streets within some African cities named for him), etc. I doubt many Africans at all have ever heard of Charlotte. For Africa, it's probably closer to DC; everywhere else: Charlotte.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I don't get it. Why are you comparing two similarly-sized metros and then a metro that's about 1/3 the size of the larger one? This doesn't make any sense.
Cities dont have to be the same size to be alike.Savannah is much bigger than Annapolis but they remind me of each other.Its a comparison of recognition and urbanity

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
I consider charlotte to be Atlanta jr. so for me it was the obvious answer. After thinking about it some I still say charlotte but Atlanta and dc do have some stuff in common that Charlotte doesn't have. Larger, more name recognition, a subway,...but Charlotte and Atlanta are still very similar. More so than Atlanta and dc.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
People throughout the world know about D.C. Very few know about Atlanta (obviously people know of Coke and CNN) and even less know about Charlotte.

After moving from Charlotte, I was shocked at how many people in other parts of the U.S. hadn't heard of it or didn't know where it's located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City