Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition ,Urbanity,Cosmopolitan
Atlanta-Washington D.C. 19 32.76%
Charlotte-Atlanta 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

77 posts, read 200,294 times

Advertisements

It's halfway between the DC and Charlotte. In no way does Atlanta have anywhere near the level of recognition as DC on an international level. On the other hand, in no way is it as unknown as Charlotte. DC is the nation's capitol, it's only 2nd to New York as far as name recognition goes.

Atlanta, although not an international tourist destination, is a big international business destination and hosted the Olympics so it has a decent amount of name recognition. I'd say it's as widely known as Houston or Philadelphia. Although Coca Cola is headquartered in Atlanta, most people around the globe know it as an American product, not an Atlanta product, so I don't think Coca Cola is a huge factor in name recognition.

I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone outside of the US have heard of Charlotte. Only as of recent is the city even becoming well known in the US. And even now, Charlotte is not as well known in the US as many cities half its size. Internationally, I'd say Charlotte is as well known as Columbus, Albuquerque, and Raleigh. It's growing fast though and has only recently become a significant US city, so it still needs a lot of time to become widely known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM

229 posts, read 520,662 times
I wonder if many of you posters have travelled outside of the US! True, Washington, DC is better known around the world than every other city in this nation, except for NYC. However, having travelled to 15 countries, I have yet to meet someone who never heard of Atlanta. Especially in Africa.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
I wonder if many of you posters have travelled outside of the US! True, Washington, DC is better known around the world than every other city in this nation, except for NYC. However, having travelled to 15 countries, I have yet to meet someone who never heard of Atlanta. Especially in Africa.
And that has been my experience as well.This is why I asked the question.I am in constant contact with people from all over the world.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
I agree with Kingsley. I travel a great deal as well and most people seem to have heard of Atlanta. I would put it on the same level of recognition as the other sunbelt giants (Houston and Dallas).

However, DC is one of the most recognizable city name in the world. Charlotte, is pretty unknown outside of Europe.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 AM

265 posts, read 329,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Charlotte is always mentioned as a baby Atlanta.I basically wanted to know how far do people think that similarity goes.How is that wrong to ponder?
Not "wrong" to ponder, but from my standpoint, a bit questionable as most know that similarities reach their limit and this is obviously one of them as far as Atlanta and Charlotte comparisons go.

Quote:
Savannah I believe is 3x the size of Annapolis.(city pop.)
And we both know that city population really isn't the most accurate way to judge the real size of a place, especially when comparing cities in different states. Otherwise, we could say that San Antonio is more than twice the size of Atlanta. Metro populations are typically more accurate, but it's complicated here because Annapolis is part of the Baltimore metro area instead of anchoring its own metro area like Savannah.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Not "wrong" to ponder, but from my standpoint, a bit questionable as most know that similarities reach their limit and this is obviously one of them as far as Atlanta and Charlotte comparisons go.

And we both know that city population really isn't the most accurate way to judge the real size of a place, especially when comparing cities in different states. Otherwise, we could say that San Antonio is more than twice the size of Atlanta. Metro populations are typically more accurate, but it's complicated here because Annapolis is part of the Baltimore metro area instead of anchoring its own metro area like Savannah.
Well it was not my intent.I just know that Charlotte is always being compared to Atlanta which I understand but most people who visit or live in either place know that the similarities are only superficial.From the other thread someone made a comment, so I wanted to see if it was an accurate assessment and why.Of course I did not agree but just because I did not agree does not mean I was picking on Charlotte.Thats why I said nothing but the basic question.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 AM

265 posts, read 329,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well it was not my intent.I just know that Charlotte is always being compared to Atlanta which I understand but most people who visit or live in either place know that the similarities are only superficial.
I disagree and I live in Charlotte and have visited Atlanta several times (like many Charlotteans). Where there are similarities, they are very real similarities in some key categories (such as the ones I outlined in the "The next Atlanta" thread) but appropriately scaled. Some people wrongly take that to mean that the two cities are similar in every way imaginable, whether consciously or subconsciously, and that is not the case at all. No one is claiming that Charlotte is a younger or smaller clone of Atlanta.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
I don't think Charlotte is even know that much within the US. I mean it's known, but not to same extent as other cities on its level like Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, etc

Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think Charlotte is even know that much within the US. I mean it's known, but not to same extent as other cities on its level like Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, etc

On this site yes, to a frequent traveler, probably yes (because of the hub), overall most people probably have heard of it but are unsure many details of it, maybe similar to a San Antonio, OK City

Atlanta would be more top of mind, both in the US and Internationally, but again DC is more wide known, especially internationally

Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On this site yes, to a frequent traveler, probably yes (because of the hub), overall most people probably have heard of it but are unsure many details of it, maybe similar to a San Antonio, OK City

Atlanta would be more top of mind, both in the US and Internationally, but again DC is more wide known, especially internationally
I think everyone who at least have a third grade education know San Antonio is in Texas, but some might think Mexico lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City