Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition ,Urbanity,Cosmopolitan
Atlanta-Washington D.C. 19 32.76%
Charlotte-Atlanta 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

People may have heard the name Atlanta in their lives but they probably couldn't tell you a single thing about it aside from its a city in the U.S. They dont know where, they don't know how big, they don't know what it looks like or is famous for.

Washington DC they do.

Charlotte they've never even heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
People may have heard the name Atlanta in their lives but they probably couldn't tell you a single thing about it aside from its a city in the U.S. They dont know where, they don't know how big, they don't know what it looks like or is famous for.

Washington DC they do.

I think this is true even for people living in the U.S. (Well, most Americans probably know that Atlanta is a large city in Georgia.)

Most Americans think of Raleigh-Durham when they hear North Carolina.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think everyone who at least have a third grade education know San Antonio is in Texas, but some might think Mexico lol

Well I think there is a wide disparity on the Alamo and a topic in history classes. In Texas there is much time devoted, but agree it was covered even if just one day probably everywhere. My ex wife was from Texas and when she moved the North East she couldnt beleive how little focus was taught on this event, she always said there was as much if not more emphasize on this event as there was in the revolution, then her comment was oh yeah, that was more Texas history, FWIW she always loved Texas

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I disagree and I live in Charlotte and have visited Atlanta several times (like many Charlotteans). Where there are similarities, they are very real similarities in some key categories (such as the ones I outlined in the "The next Atlanta" thread) but appropriately scaled. Some people wrongly take that to mean that the two cities are similar in every way imaginable, whether consciously or subconsciously, and that is not the case at all. No one is claiming that Charlotte is a younger or smaller clone of Atlanta.
Disagree with what?I never said I think Charlotte and Atlanta are carbon copies.Thats why I brought up Nashville.Even then there are major differences.I said I agree that I understand many people DO make such comparisons.Not that I believe it is true that ALL of those.But to act like many people dont say or believe that is crazy.Atlanta and Charlotte are alike in some ways but so are Atlanta and D.C.Thats was the premise behind the thread:Which on is closer to the truth?

Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

Washington DC they do.

I disagree.As much as I travel,most people know Atlanta as holding the Olympic even if they dont know anything else.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,279 times
Charlotte-Atlanta.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:50 PM

133 posts, read 384,991 times
In my 20 years living in Europe I've heard Atlanta mentioned only in '96 during the olympics,dc was on the news every night...Atlanta has the greatest name recognition only on city-data forum,there are more threads about Atlanta than any other city...

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
In my 20 years living in Europe I've heard Atlanta mentioned only in '96 during the olympics,dc was on the news every night...Atlanta has the greatest name recognition only on city-data forum,there are more threads about Atlanta than any other city...
DiD I misunderstand you?Do you mean only during the 1996 Olympics in 1996 did people know of Atlanta or the only reference was to the 1996 Olympics in a historical sense?
Also why do you think Atlanta is so popular or infamous on City Data?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

133 posts, read 384,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
DiD I misunderstand you?Do you mean only during the 1996 Olympics in 1996 did people know of Atlanta or the only reference was to the 1996 Olympics in a historical sense?
Also why do you think Atlanta is so popular or infamous on City Data?
I was speaking only for me personally,not people in general,but I remember the first time I ever heard about Atlanta was in the summer of 1996 during the Olympic games and I believe this is when it gained most media attention internationally.Now 1996 is still not that far in time,but 20 or 30 years from now do you think the average person on this planet is still going to remember there were Olympics in Atlanta?Many cities gain international attention for some reason for some time,but it's the consistency that matters in their international recognition...Cities like NYC and DC are instantly recognizable,when people are asked about New York they can imagine the statue of liberty,when they are asked about DC they imagine the White house,these are symbols of America around the world.Now if you ask an average European,Asian etc. to imagine what Atlanta or Salt Lake city looks like most likely they will have hard time.Cities like Venice or Monte Carlo are much smaller than Atlanta yet they are instantly recognizable around the world...
Now I don't visit city-data forum every day,but 90% of the time when I'm here there is always at least one thread about Atlanta and I notice some cities are never talked about like Salt Lake city or Albuquerque and many others,so I don't understand why is that,but it's noticeable.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
I was speaking only for me personally,not people in general,but I remember the first time I ever heard about Atlanta was in the summer of 1996 during the Olympic games and I believe this is when it gained most media attention internationally.Now 1996 is still not that far in time,but 20 or 30 years from now do you think the average person on this planet is still going to remember there were Olympics in Atlanta?Many cities gain international attention for some reason for some time,but it's the consistency that matters in their international recognition...Cities like NYC and DC are instantly recognizable,when people are asked about New York they can imagine the statue of liberty,when they are asked about DC they imagine the White house,these are symbols of America around the world.Now if you ask an average European,Asian etc. to imagine what Atlanta or Salt Lake city looks like most likely they will have hard time.Cities like Venice or Monte Carlo are much smaller than Atlanta yet they are instantly recognizable around the world...
Now I don't visit city-data forum every day,but 90% of the time when I'm here there is always at least one thread about Atlanta and I notice some cities are never talked about like Salt Lake city or Albuquerque and many others,so I don't understand why is that,but it's noticeable.
No I agree.I know Atlanta will never be as well known as many cities for obvious reasons.But when it is,the number one reason is mainly due to the Olympics.I dont mean to suggest that Atlanta is a household name.However it is the number one city known world wide (out of American cities)that are NOT one or all of the following:
-A tourist center like Orlando or Vegas,Miami
-A major center of finance or government like NYC,DC or like Boston with its famous universities
-Maybe the only landlocked city too

I should also add that cities get known for multiple reasons.Atlanta in 20-30 years more than likely will add to its already growing prominence globally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City