Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition ,Urbanity,Cosmopolitan
Atlanta-Washington D.C. 19 32.76%
Charlotte-Atlanta 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM

265 posts, read 329,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Cities dont have to be the same size to be alike.Savannah is much bigger than Annapolis but they remind me of each other.Its a comparison of recognition and urbanity
Savannah isn't that much larger than Annapolis, but this aside, you said earlier in this thread that "Charlotte has a market share much smaller.No where near Atlanta on an International level.Itl is not even on the blimp" and you obviously believe that both Atlanta and DC have international recognition, so what's the purpose of having Charlotte on this poll? It just looks like an obvious opportunity to slam Charlotte which, if that's the case, is quite juvenile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I agree in that none are close there is a wide distance between each of these. Would be like is Philly closer to Savannah or NYC on size in a sense

DC is the Capital, Atlanta isnt even in the same recognition ballpark on this premis so it confuses me overall as well.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
If that were really so then why is Atlanta just after Philly and San Diego in international visitation?I travel frequently too and while I admit Atlanta is not a house hold name,there are people that do know something about it much about it.I knew when I created this poll Charlotte and Atlanta would be picked by most people even though Charlotte has a market share much smaller.No where near Atlanta on an International level.Itl is not even on the blimp.

In 2008 Atlanta market share was at 2.1%
Philly had a market share of 2.8%
San Diego 2.7%
Washington D.C. market share is 5.8% and its 7th in the U.S.

In 2009 Atlanta ranked 13th again with the largest percentage gain @7% out of the top 20 cities..Most had decreases.
Atlanta-2.4%
Philly-2.5%
D.C.-6.5(5%increase)
Atlanta ranked above Houston,Seattle,Dallas,Anaheim,CA,Flagstafff,AZ and San Jose.
So comparatively speaking Atlanta is as well known as Philly judging by visitors.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/outreac...and_Cities.pdf
Well three things:
1. Number of people who visit a place and number of people who know a place are two significantly different things. Tourists that can afford to come visit the states are generally well educated and knowledgeable or they wouldn't be able to afford travel. But then you look at a country like India, Pakistan, Thailand, almost any African country, even China and outside the aristocrats nobody is going to know Atlanta but they're all still going to know Washington DC.

2. Those percentages even if they were an accurate way to measure this shows that Atlanta has 1/3 the recognition of DC.
DC with its 6.5% has 1,544,000 people
Atlanta with its 2.4% has 570,000 people

3. Do you believe more people know of Orlando than DC and Atlanta combined? Because if your only logic for name recognition is that document than Orlando is more well known than DC and Atlanta combined. I think you know that this isn't the best measure.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I wonder if there is an educated soul in the world who hasn't heard of America's Founding Father and the main city named after him.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:38 PM

it would be like an American having never heard of London.

London, New York City, and Washington DC are leagues above every other city for name recognition.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well three things:
1. Number of people who visit a place and number of people who know a place are two significantly different things. Tourists that can afford to come visit the states are generally well educated and knowledgeable or they wouldn't be able to afford travel. But then you look at a country like India, Pakistan, Thailand, almost any African country, even China and outside the aristocrats nobody is going to know Atlanta but they're all still going to know Washington DC.

2. Those percentages even if they were an accurate way to measure this shows that Atlanta has 1/3 the recognition of DC.
DC with its 6.5% has 1,544,000 people
Atlanta with its 2.4% has 570,000 people

3. Do you believe more people know of Orlando than DC and Atlanta combined? Because if your only logic for name recognition is that document than Orlando is more well known than DC and Atlanta combined. I think you know that this isn't the best measure.
My argument was NEVER that Atlanta EXACTLY like D.C. or that it is as well known as D.C.Obvioulsy its not.But neither is Charlotte.Thats why I made the thread.I specifically said in urbanity,International appeal etc.I should have said Phily but Philly physically reminds me nothing of Atlanta.

D.C and Atlanta are closer in GDP.
They are closer in population metro
Demographics
Media and entertainment
Public transportation(Heavy rail-Subway)
Education Centers.Atlanta has a lot of colleges and Universities
Media and entertainment
D.C Sprawls as bad as Atlanta

I never said it was the best or worse.But it is one.The best way is not to go around asking random foreigners that any of us might meet or know as being the way to go either.I do think the info I provided is much better way than that.

But like Atlanta people may know MLK Jr but they may not know he was born here.People dont always know Orlando,but they do know Disney.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Savannah isn't that much larger than Annapolis, but this aside, you said earlier in this thread that "Charlotte has a market share much smaller.No where near Atlanta on an International level.Itl is not even on the blimp" and you obviously believe that both Atlanta and DC have international recognition, so what's the purpose of having Charlotte on this poll? It just looks like an obvious opportunity to slam Charlotte which, if that's the case, is quite juvenile.
Yes I do think that.That was the purpose of the poll.But do you really think I think Atlanta has the quality overall that D.C has?No.I dont.
OMG!!IYou even said you agreed with me in the other thread that Nashvile is not always thought of when mentioning which is similar to Atlanta.
So why would I ut Nashville to see if my assertion was correct.Its really straigt forward.There was no nefarious plan to knock Charlotte. GEEZ!!

Charlotte is always mentioned as a baby Atlanta.I basically wanted to know how far do people think that similarity goes.How is that wrong to ponder?

Savannah I believe is 3x the size of Annapolis.(city pop.)

Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree in that none are close there is a wide distance between each of these. Would be like is Philly closer to Savannah or NYC on size in a sense

DC is the Capital, Atlanta isnt even in the same recognition ballpark on this premis so it confuses me overall as well.
see other post please.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
My argument was NEVER that Atlanta EXACTLY like D.C. or that it is as well known as D.C.Obvioulsy its not.But neither is Charlotte.Thats why I made the thread.I specifically said in urbanity,International appeal etc.I should have said Phily but Philly physically reminds me nothing of Atlanta.

D.C and Atlanta are closer in GDP.
They are closer in population metro
Demographics
Media and entertainment
Public transportation(Heavy rail-Subway)
Education Centers.Atlanta has a lot of colleges and Universities
Media and entertainment
D.C Sprawls as bad as Atlanta

I never said it was the best or worse.But it is one.The best way is not to go around asking random foreigners that any of us might meet or know as being the way to go either.I do think the info I provided is much better way than that.

But like Atlanta people may know MLK Jr but they may not know he was born here.People dont always know Orlando,but they do know Disney.
Your topic reads:

Quote:
Which cities are more Alike:International appeal,Name Recognition

Atlanta-Washington D.C.
or
Charlotte-Atlanta
The title of thread is "Which cities are more alike?Name recognition(International)"

What does how much they are alike in anything EXCEPT what foreigners recognize answer your question? If you wanted general things you should've made that the post to begin with man. Where are you even coming off saying in this most recent post that you claimed to have said "in urbanity" - nowhere?

Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Your topic reads:

The title of thread is "Which cities are more alike?Name recognition(International)"

What does how much they are alike in anything EXCEPT what foreigners recognize answer your question? If you wanted general things you should've made that the post to begin with man. Where are you even coming off saying in this most recent post that you claimed to have said "in urbanity" - nowhere?
I admit I left things out.When I was suffering from insomnia at 3am I wrote urbanity in the original draft.Somewhere I erased it.I cant say why.Either way I realized I could have said more and been more specific,but I was trying to refrain because I hate leading the poll or tilt it toward a certain direction.So my choice was :"say to much and be accused that way or say to little and let people fill in the blanks.As you see in the op,I chose to let you feel in the blanks.You did And I dont recall not answering your questions as yu saw it.I just made the admission in that post that:

I should have maybe picked Philly or another city to ask what I wanted to know
And that I should have been clear.It was my intention that to put urbanity in the ost as I thought I did.MY MISTAKE!How long do you wanna roast me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City