Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Boston, because Dallas shares its metro with Fort Worth...
Which is an advantage, Ft Worth has a great zoo, amazing museums and a lot of charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Which is an advantage, Ft Worth has a great zoo, amazing museums and a lot of charm.
Sure, but this guy just rags on FW (and Atlanta) at any given chance....

Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu83 View Post
I'm not from Boston, but I visited it recently and it struck me as very bohemian and sophisticated -- more like Amsterdam or San Francisco than, say, Philadelphia (which I also love, but which I found to have a different atmosphere.)

Honestly, I went to Boston thinking potentially Rust Belt (although I'd heard that Boston had done a 180 over the past 30 years.) I left Boston feeling like it was right on par with my former hometowns, San Francisco and Chicago . The streets were bustling and exuberant... At least half of the town seemed to be under 35 years old!

I'm somewhat surprised that you found it boring... Do you not like culture or history? Beautiful architecture or parks? Professional sports or nightlife or live music or shopping or diverse neighborhoods..?

As to racism: from what I understand, Boston had race problems a generation ago, but now--maybe as a direct result of those troubles--it's supposedly one of the most tolerant cities in the U.S. Maybe America's most liberal metropolis next to SF.

You have to remember, over 100k college students stream into that city each year (more into the metro, I believe.) That influx of new ideas combined with university professors--and maybe all of the "high culture" there--seem to shape that city in a positive way.

Dallas and Ft Worth are fine cities. I've genuinely enjoyed my visits there, (the food was especially memorable! The culture there is unique.) I'm not sure that comparing DFW with Boston is fair... Boston has had several hundred more years to work on itself.
+1. Thanks for a well thought out and subjective analysis.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Boston, because Dallas shares its metro with Fort Worth...
I personally think thats a good thing. Fort Worth offers a really nice contrast to Dallas since (even though they are the same metro area), they are nothing alike. Its actually a huge reason why I like this area. If you want a big city and all that it entails, you have that in Dallas. If you want a smaller city thats more laid back, has more charm, and is more unique, you have that in Fort Worth.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I personally think thats a good thing. Fort Worth offers a really nice contrast to Dallas since (even though they are the same metro area), they are nothing alike. Its actually a huge reason why I like this area. If you want a big city and all that it entails, you have that in Dallas. If you want a smaller city thats more laid back, has more charm, and is more unique, you have that in Fort Worth.
I've heard the same thing actually. Granted, a lot of this has come from ESPN Radio this past week haha, but it sounds like Ft. Worth has more of a "Western" vibe...I actually think I may be more interested in Ft. Worth than Dallas...Dallas just doesn't interest me as a city.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I've heard the same thing actually. Granted, a lot of this has come from ESPN Radio this past week haha, but it sounds like Ft. Worth has more of a "Western" vibe...I actually think I may be more interested in Ft. Worth than Dallas...Dallas just doesn't interest me as a city.
Fort Worth: Where The West Begins.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Fort Worth: Where The West Begins.
I've also heard a similar statement about the Twin Cities:

St. Paul: Last City of the East
Minneapolis: Beginning of the West

Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Fort Worth feels very western. The city would fit well around Reno, Carson City, or Colorado. Dallas feels Like it should be on the eastern side of the Mississippi like in the Midwest. Here not only do they call Dallas where the east ends and Fort Worth where the west begins but you can also clearly see it and feel it by Fort Worth's cowtown and cowbpy culture and Dallas' modernism and architecture.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've also heard a similar statement about the Twin Cities:

St. Paul: Last City of the East
Minneapolis: Beginning of the West
Wow, I never knew the Twin Cities have had that same slogan. Sometimes it's easy to forget how far West within the midwest Minnesota is. It's hard to determine where the West begins up there. Would it be Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Fort Worth feels very western. The city would fit well around Reno, Carson City, or Colorado. Dallas feels Like it should be on the eastern side of the Mississippi like in the Midwest. Here not only do they call Dallas where the east ends and Fort Worth where the west begins but you can also clearly see it and feel it by Fort Worth's cowtown and cowbpy culture and Dallas' modernism and architecture.
You really can feel it. You can see it also in the natural surroundings, especially around weatherford. It FEELS different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City