Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yeah, it is. It has alot of park-like areas in the zoo. There's a street that separates the zoo. You have to go under the tunnel to reach the other side.

EDIT: there's a park in the zoo called Marsalis Park
I think the compactness of ours is a blessing. Because the exhibits are so close together you can see a lot of animals without walking too much. Also, The zoo has tons of trees so it has a tropical feel.

Phoenix Zoo is another behemoth in terms of physical size but not nearly as many animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Austin doesn't even really have a zoo.
http://www.austinzoo.org/

they got a zoo. it started out with some farm animals but they got more now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think the compactness of ours is a blessing. Because the exhibits are so close together you can see a lot of animals without walking too much. Also, The zoo has tons of trees so it has a tropical feel.

Phoenix Zoo is another behemoth in terms of physical size but not nearly as many animals

Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary

Eh....it's more of a rescue center.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Eh....it's more of a rescue center.
doesn't matter what fancy name it is given.

it displays live animals to the public, it is a zoo

Anyway back to Dallas and Boston.

which is the better zoo

Dallas Zoo or Franklin Park Zoo

Old 02-05-2011, 10:18 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:

Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary

I love they way the Dallas zoo is set up. ZooNorth, Giants of the Savanna, and The Wilds Of Africa make up the zoo. The ZooNorth is completely separated from the other 2 sections. ZooNorth is the children's zoo, there's alot of families in that area. Wilds of Africa and the Giants of the Savanna are very close to each other. There's a park in the middle of the zoo. It has a lot of tables and benches in that area. There's also alot of trees in the park too.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I love they way the Dallas zoo is set up. ZooNorth, Giants of the Savanna, and The Wilds Of Africa make up the zoo. The ZooNorth is completely separated from the other 2 sections. ZooNorth is the children's zoo, there's alot of families in that area. Wilds of Africa and the Giants of the Savanna are very close to each other. There's a park in the middle of the zoo. It has a lot of tables and benches in that area. There's also alot of trees in the park too.
I think Dallas made the exhibits so far apart so that they can claim to have one the largest zoos in the country you guys are known for your excessiveness

Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
I think Dallas made the exhibits so far apart so that they can claim to have one the largest zoos in the country you guys are known for your excessiveness
LOL, that's really not the reason. I think our zoo is the oldest too? Dallas Zoo had 3 different locations. It was in Old City Park (1888-1910), Fair Park (1910-1920?), and now Marsalis Park (1920?-present).

Read this

Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
A few Ft Worth pix....

Ft Worth Botanical Gardens

Bass Performance Hall - designed by David Schwartz

Ft Worth water gardens - designed by Philip Johnson

Amon Carter Museum - designed by Philip Johnson

Kimball Art Museum - designed by Louis Kahn

FW Museum of Modern Art - designed by Tadao Ando

Downtown from Modern

Stockyards - when you want to see the western side

Japanese Gardens

Adaptive re-use, spurred development along 7th Street corridor

Part of So7th development (across street from Montgomery Plaza/Lofts, which is right between downtown and Cultural district/museums/parks/zoo

Last edited by slo1318; 02-05-2011 at 11:55 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Old 02-06-2011, 05:24 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
Anywhere in Texas over the Northeast.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I have heard this quite a bit on here which really made me curious to check out Ft Worth. I found the downtown to be small, but that works to its advantage to create a more cohesive envinronment. The neighborhood around the cultural district seemed to be the best one I could find, but still wasnt as vibrant or interesting as the central neighborhoods in Dallas. My point is I do keep seeing on here that Ft Worth is more charming and all than Dallas, but I found as I explored Ft Worth, each direction you travel out of downtown excluding to the west is very ran down and abandoned, even traveling to the Stockyards is rough looking. Where are these charming, vibrant neighborhoods in Ft Worth that put it above Dallas? No sarcasm or trick questions here. I'm still learning the area and would like to see those sides of Ft Worth. Each time I've been there I was always glad to be heading back to Dallas.
This is precisely how I feel. Dallas is absolutely the gem of the Metroplex, IMO. I guess it depends on if you're more into the "city life" or not. FW just ain't my kind of city, personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I gotta vote for Boston here......although I like Dallas in some respects......it does not win in any of the mentioned categories and ties at best.... IMO....in only a few.
I really disagree. I think DFW easily has Boston beat on QOL and COL. And I also believe that Dallas might be the better shopping city, but I'm positive many northerners will deny that to the ends of the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City