Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM

175 posts, read 227,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dallaz post is basically what I was saying. 72 miles(and growing like he said) isn't that small.
You can't go by miles. Go by # of lines and stops.

Quote:
Because Dallas is geographically HUGE. Not because DART is small. And it depends on what part of Dallas you live in.
No excuses, everyone on this forum knows Dallas is not livable without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Because Dallas is geographically HUGE. Not because DART is small. And it depends on what part of Dallas you live in.
Yeah.

Hell, just Dallas on its own is 385 square miles in land area. Just think about the ENTIRE DFW area....

@ travel guy.... that's not an "excuse". Even though I would love to see more, better mass transit (espeically on MY side of the Metroplex), Texas is still a car culture area, just like the rest of the Sunbelt. They didn't build those "Mix-masters" for nothing.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Criteria:

- School systems (K-12)-I guess Dallas???
Not saying you're wrong, but Boston is one of the most educated metros in the nation, Massachusetts one of the most educated states, and arguably the best public school system in the country. Not to mention some great private schools and some of the most well-known academies in the country (Andover, Thayer, Milton, Lawrence, among others).

What makes you think Dallas has the better schools?

Quote:
Mass Transit-Boston(although DART is a beast in it's own right)
Is DART really a beast though? I know it's growing, but it doesn't really seem like a system that you would call a "beast"...hell the T isn't even a beast haha

Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Is DART really a beast though? I know it's growing, but it doesn't really seem like a system that you would call a "beast"...hell the T isn't even a beast haha
So NOW we include Fort Worth into this....

It is true though. Our system is trash.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Not saying you're wrong, but Boston is one of the most educated metros in the nation, Massachusetts one of the most educated states, and arguably the best public school system in the country. Not to mention some great private schools and some of the most well-known academies in the country (Andover, Thayer, Milton, Lawrence, among others).

We aren't not talking about Fort Worth! Dallas and Fort Worth have two different transit system. the T sucks!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM

175 posts, read 227,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So NOW we include Fort Worth into this....

It is true though. Our system is trash.
The FtW-Dallas metro area transit is trash. But, some people like living with a car as the #1 source of transportation, nothing wrong this...everyone is different.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel guy View Post
The Whole Fort Worth-Dallas metro area transit is trash. But, some people like living with a car as the #1 source of transportation.......everyone is different.
No it doesn't! Have you seen the new DART expansion. If you have no idea what you are talking about PLEASE DO NOT comment!

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

That's why I put question marks after it. I guess I was wrong. Looking at DARTS stations, and it's growth, it looks like a beast to me(as far as light-rail goes). It's expansion plan looks legit also.

JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel guy View Post
The Whole Fort Worth-Dallas metro area transit is trash. But, some people like living with a car as the #1 source of transportation, nothing wrong with having a car.......everyone is different.
No... just Fort Worth's.

At least Dallas has an expanding rail system. Thanks to our vision-less city "leaders", Tarrant County wont see anything like that for at least another 8-10 years.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 PM

When the Orange Line is complete, DART will have 86 miles of track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City