Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 10:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I know Atlanta has some black diversity. I met a Black Colombian-Nigerian from there when I was in the Bay Area. Given its humongous black population that makes sense it’d be up there with Boston. Atlanta’s success and accessibility inspires and attracts black people all over the world.
Yeah I think the biggest difference is that Boston got to the Black immigration party earlier than Atlanta which makes sense given its status as one of the most historic and largest magnets for immigrants but Atlanta has been picking up steam over the past 20-30 years.

Quote:
the first Black college Quarterback in the South was Freddie Summers. He came to Wake Forest in 1967 from Dorchester High School in Boston. He was born in Columbia SC but grew up in Boston and was Dorchester High’s first black quarterback.
That's pretty cool. Seeing as though Boston wasn't a major Great Migration destination city like the other major East Coast cities, I don't really know of Black folks with SC roots who live in Boston but SC migrants during that era settled in cities all up the Bos-Wash corridor so I'd expect the states those migrants came from would be similar to NYC, NJ, Philly, Baltimore, and DC (VA and the Carolinas primarily) but in smaller numbers. And while it's not Boston, I do know that Viola Davis was born in SC (the county immediately north of the one I was born and raised in actually) but moved to Rhode Island with her family as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 10:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's pretty cool. Seeing as though Boston wasn't a major Great Migration destination city like the other major East Coast cities, I don't really know of Black folks with SC roots who live in Boston but SC migrants during that era settled in cities all up the Bos-Wash corridor so I'd expect the states those migrants came from would be similar to NYC, NJ, Philly, Baltimore, and DC (VA and the Carolinas primarily) but in smaller numbers. And while it's not Boston, I do know that Viola Davis was born in SC (the county immediately north of the one I was born and raised in actually) but moved to Rhode Island with her family as a child.

Yea she grew up in Central Falls. Which is hell. Amazing she made it out of there.

Lot of South Carolinians in Boston!! My grandmother was born in Florence South Carolina and came home into the Orchard Park Projects with my mom in 1962. She had birthed my mom in Wilmington NC but was raised in Florence SC. I know a good deal of folks with SC roots up here, for sure.

One of my dads good friends is from Orangebhrg , he moved up to Bridgeport in the 1960s and ended up in Boston. His grandson grew up in Dorchester and won a national championship at UCONN in 2011 with Shabazz Napier. SC blood.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yea she grew up in Central Falls. Which is hell. Amazing she made it out of there.

Lot of South Carolinians in Boston!! My grandmother was born in Florence South Carolina and came home into the Orchard Park Projects with my mom in 1962. She had birthed my mom in Wilmington NC but was raised in Florence SC. I know a good deal of folks with SC roots up here, for sure.

One of my dads good friends is from Orangebhrg , he moved up to Bridgeport in the 1960s and ended up in Boston. His grandson grew up in Dorchester and won a national championship at UCONN in 2011 with Shabazz Napier. SC blood.
Wow, how about that. I do know there are folks with SC roots in other parts of NE (I have extended family that lived in CT for years before returning to SC) and I figured it was true of Boston also. And there's a small chance that my parents might know some family members of your dad's friend. I might would even recognize his last name if I knew it; there are some common Black ones in the 'Burg.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wow, how about that. I do know there are folks with SC roots in other parts of NE (I have extended family that lived in CT for years before returning to SC) and I figured it was true of Boston also. And there's a small chance that my parents might know some family members of your dad's friend. I might would even recognize his last name if I knew it; there are some common Black ones in the 'Burg.
I just know him as ‘Boo’.. could be Coombs or McDaniel

Old 05-08-2020, 07:01 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I agree with him.It sounds like cocky booster-ism but Its clear as day to me.
Atlanta has become the top place for black startups and tech talent. So much so that Google placed a former employees who sold her own startup to Amazon as their head of Google Startups. She is a black woman who now is in Atlanta heading Google Startup division FROM Atlanta.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...d-to-lead.html

As I stated earlier in the link I posted ,Atlanta is now being hailed as the "Black tech capital".

Consider also the impact of Tyler Perry Studios. Where else in the world do you have a fully own studio of its magnitude? A place all the big networks have and are shooting.
. There is literally nothing like ot anywhere in the US.
Never mind the black talent that is behind the scenes coming into the industry and that impact on the industry.
Those two industries are leading blacks into industries they have not been traditionally represented.
On top of that African Americans have one of the highest home ownership rates,second largest black middle class,one of the highest percentages black owned businesses and the list goes one.

Where else do you have the largest concentration of black colleges and universities but Atlanta?

What i also find interesting is its not just a US perception of Atlanta. All across the African diaspora,Atlanta is fairly well known considering its not LA,DC,NYC etc.

Honestly the short answer is just look at the poll. These polls suck most of the time but when it such a ridiculous lead,how can it be anything else
I understand all of this, but it actually doesn’t answer my question. There has been other information given in this thread about other areas that is favorable as well like NYC’s relatively low black poverty rate for a city with 2 million or so black people or the DC area’s high black entrepreneurship numbers. So, this is why I asked the question, as those are some things those cities can throw out there in a way maybe Atlanta can’t.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:33 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

Interesting...As Mutiny mentioned, a lot of migration from SC to cities across the Northeast took place. Actually, a guy I grew up with and that does work on my car, his parents were from St. George in between Orangeburg and Charleston. An aunt by marriage is originally from Yemassee. My mom is from Mullins.

I’ll drop an exclusive on here, my great great grandfather and Sugar Ray Leonard’s grandfather were brothers. His dad Cicero and his mom were from Mullins too.

Also, my great great grandfather’s daughter was the grandmother of this former NBA player, who played his HS ball at Salem High in MA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Brunson His son currently plays for the Dallas Mavericks: https://www.mavs.com/team/roster/jalen-brunson/

A couple of other people on that side: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BryaCh00.htm (went to Benedict)

https://ubbulls.com/staff-directory/...gette-jack/140 (family originally from Mullins as well)

Old 05-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting...As Mutiny mentioned, a lot of migration from SC to cities across the Northeast took place. Actually, a guy I grew up with and that does work on my car, his parents were from St. George in between Orangeburg and Charleston. An aunt by marriage is originally from Yemassee. My mom is from Mullins.

I’ll drop an exclusive on here, my great great grandfather and Sugar Ray Leonard’s grandfather were brothers. His dad Cicero and his mom were from Mullins too.

Also, my great great grandfather’s daughter was the grandmother of this former NBA player, who played his HS ball at Salem High in MA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Brunson His son currently plays for the Dallas Mavericks: https://www.mavs.com/team/roster/jalen-brunson/

A couple of other people on that side: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BryaCh00.htm (went to Benedict)

https://ubbulls.com/staff-directory/...gette-jack/140 (family originally from Mullins as well)
Now he might REALLY be some kin to me LOL. My paternal grandfather was a native of St. George and my maternal grandmother's parents were from a small community in the same county a few miles west of St. George.

Small world!

Old 05-08-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:

The African American community north of Boston in those Mystic Valley cities have a very strong basketball tradition.

Patrick Ewing and Rumeal Robinson are from Cambridge.

Antonio Anderson Started alongside Derick Rose at Memphis won a National championship. He now Coach at Kynb English and won Massachusetts Basketball coach of the year last year and led the Bulldogs to a state championship. He also briefly played for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Nerlens Noel (Haitian)is from Everett. Noah Vonleh (Liberian)is from Haverhill.

Rick Brunson and Scoonie Penn from Salem

Karl Hobbs and Mike Jarvis are two D1 coaches from Cambridge.

Cambridge still has a black head coach in Isaiah Dottin. They recently won back to back state championships and the coach son Jakigh Dottin plays for Towson.

Many more I failed to list here. They often outperform Boston City League and the blacker burbs to the south.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:54 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
I understand all of this, but it actually doesn’t answer my question. There has been other information given in this thread about other areas that is favorable as well like NYC’s relatively low black poverty rate for a city with 2 million or so black people or the DC area’s high black entrepreneurship numbers. So, this is why I asked the question, as those are some things those cities can throw out there in a way maybe Atlanta can’t.
Atlanta has the 2nd most black businesses in the nation behind NYC according to Black demographics.com

Old 05-08-2020, 10:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
I suppose its more about culture than economics but economics or course it what gets people to to come.Culture is what makes them stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City