Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 01:50 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Not for African Americans it doesnt. That I am willing to bet on.Of course more amenities for everyone but if you want something for black people then no. Chicago is like NYC.Its loosing a lot of blacks
what amenities are you specifically referring to? i know blacks are leaving Chicago in droves but Chicago was such a prominent "black" city for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 02:59 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Then like I said you also have Atlanta being held as the place for black startups and black tech talent.
That’s interesting, is that from a study? My friend that works in a leadership position at Gannett and another friend that works in a leadership position for Amazon here in the DC area said DC was the best place for black tech jobs. I will preface that by saying they were referring to black people in leadership positions in the tech industry. I’m not in the tech industry, but apparently there aren’t many black people in leadership positions in the tech industry across America according to them.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:00 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
NYC having a lower poverty rate is a direct correlation in this case to a decline in minority population as the city goes through gentrification hence moving people out of the city.

NYC will ALWAYS have waves of immigrants.The difference is as its loosing native blacks its gaining immigrants but Atlanta is gaining both. Its the biggest city thats doing that.

NYC is an almost impossible city to compete with on any level bit this is one area Atlanta can and does.Having substantial black populations in the suburbs is nothing more than what Atlanta has, As I said before ,Atlanta has 2-3 counties in its metro that are majority black.

Weather of course is subjective but there is a reason the Sunbelt is the fastest growing section of the country.
I in no way am discounting NYC's role in black America.That would just be wrong but in present day America,its almost a joke when someone ask a black person where they live or want to go to they say Atlanta.
Sometimes I think of moving just because I dont like to be stereotyped but Atlanta just works for me.

One other thing is Atlanta is attracting more immigrants but not always directly from their country of origins. Ive been amazed at how many of those immigrants were either in Miami or NYC first before settling in Atlanta.The reason is almost always cost.
When I say weather I mean its a bonus even if its not the reason.

Did you know that Atlanta is in the Top 5 destination for people leaving these following countries with large black populations:
S.Africa.Liberia,Jamaica,Grenada,Bahamas,Eritrea,E thiopia,Kenya,Ghana,Jamaica,Guyana,Nigeria,St,Vinc ent and the Grenadines and more
This just to say its many things you can look at but agian,at the end of the day,its really a perception more than reality.The reality its just to close to say definitively because there is no wrong answer accept BOSTON. but if we are going solely by perception and not reality then the answer is for the most part in this case it is Atlanta.
Its not the only choice but its by far the most popular choice. A choice made by most people because of their perception.No on really looks at these numbers and percentages outside of CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
They only travel out of New England every now and then. Usually when they have a strong squad. Lynn English traveled to South Dakota this year to play Yankton High School-and lost. Yankton plays teams form all over the country and is a powerhouse team in the middle of nowhere.

At my private HS I personally played teams from CT RI NH and one from Montreal but never NY/NJ. Massachusetts is pretty strict in interstate play in general. I know for instance, the head coach of Eastern High in DC went to Tech Boston and that’s how they ended up down there-he invited them and Tech Boston came and visited the monuments and museums etc. when New Mission played Saint Anthony’s in Jersey they were a powerhouse team and I think got invited by St. As.

Every once in a blue moon (5-10 years) we might face a team from Westchester County NY. travel is expensive and these days the kids get enough interstate competition via AAU and the best go on to play Prep ball.
Interesting...You would think there would be more crossover. I know some Albany area teams played teams from Pittsfield and Springfield, but that’s it, to my knowledge.

Good point about AAU, as that is where a lot of people get noticed.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
How will COVID affect black businesses across America? What cities are offering grants to businesses so they can survive this? I fear this will wipe out black businesses across the nation. I’m actually glad most of the businesses coming to Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC haven’t opened yet. This would have completely wiped them out.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-09-2020 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 03:16 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not questioning what Atlanta offers and its advantages, but Chicago's Black cultural amenities are in the same orbit due to its status as more of a legacy Black mecca. It was founded by a Black Haitian and is the adopted home of the first Black president so it's quite fitting that it has the nation's first Black museum and will soon have the Obama Presidential Library.

This has me thinking: what other cities have added or will be adding Black cultural amenities or a civic or cultural amenity named for/dedicated to a local or national Black figure? I did a bit a research and see that we've got:

•Obama Presidential Library (initially supposed to open this year but there have been delays in the review process)
•MLK statue and park in Boston (break ground this summer)
•National Museum of African American Music in Nashville (opening later this year)
•Roots 101 African-American Museum in Louisville (opening later this year)
•International African American Museum in Charleston (opening 2021).

These have been built within the past 10 years:

•"Rumors of War" statue by Kehinde Wiley in Richmond (2019)
•Shirley Chisholm State Park in Brooklyn (2019, expansion planned for next year)
•National Memorial for Peace and Justice/the Legacy Museum in Montgomery (2018)
•Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery in Minneapolis (2018)
•NMAAHC in DC (2016)
•National Center for Human and Civil Rights in Atlanta (2014)
•Romare Bearden Park in Charlotte, named after a famous Black artist and native of the city (2013)
•Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park and Monument on the Maryland Eastern Shore (2012, 2013)
•Houston Museum of African American Culture (2012)

Anyone have any other examples?
Mississippi Civil Rights Museum - Jackson , MS (2017)

Old 05-09-2020, 03:21 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Mississippi Civil Rights Museum - Jackson , MS (2017)
Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Didn't Trump attend the grand opening/dedication and because of that, Rep. John Lewis didn't attend?

Old 05-09-2020, 03:37 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting...You would think there would be more crossover. I know some Albany area teams played teams from Pittsfield and Springfield, but that’s it, to my knowledge.

Good point about AAU, as that is where a lot of people get noticed.
Yea.. Pittsfield and Springfield is a total different orbit than Eastern Ma. Until a few years ago Eastern Central and Western MA were all separated in the MIAA. Which really disadvantaged athletes in Worcester Springfield and Pittsfield. Looking to face tougher competition from back East. As a result they dipped into the Albany and Hartford areas more often. Recently Springfield Central was able to beat Everett for D1 State title which would have never happened during my era.

Two black guys from Hartford and Springfield have started an athlete training facility because they feel New England (black)) athletes get overlooked in football too often. One born and raised in Hartford and one born and raised in Springfield.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/12010...rtheast-on-map

Stack Williams and Bill Watson understand that top prospects in the New England are often considered to be big fish in a small pond, but they believe in the region’s talents and are actively seeking a larger body of water for their prospects to swim.

Williams has trained and advised Division-I talent as CEO of Supreme Athlete in Connecticut for years while Watson has done similar work coaching elite youth and high school squads for more than a decade in Massachusetts, including 7-on-7 teams under the Excel New England umbrella.

Williams and Watson have come together to form Supreme Excel, a 7-on-7 all-star team with players from both organizations.

“Essentially, we really want to give young people an opportunity to showcase their ability on a national level,” says Williams. “A lot of times the narratives around the Northeast has been ‘Terrible talent…Not really a hotbed.’

“We want to eliminate a lot of those thoughts and re-position and rebrand the ability up here. Giving these young people an opportunity to calibrate and sharpen each other’s skillset while going out there to introduce themselves to the world and show them what we’re about up here.”

Watson adds that exposure and future opportunities are key components.

“The mission is basically providing opportunities for youth in the New England area to get out and get some exposure, just trying to help kids get to college,” he says. “That’s the main goal of anything we’re attached to, exposure and trying to get kids to college. Understanding that you want to utilize sports for the bigger picture.”

About a decade ago, a mutual friend brought Watson down to Connecticut to see what Williams was doing on the 7-on-7 scene and he was impressed.

“You could tell they were doing the right things to help kids; not just physically, but mentally, understanding the process,” Watson recalls.

When their paths crossed again in the last year, Watson says “it just made sense” to join forces.

“It’s basically just seeing somebody doing the same thing you’re trying to get done in your area,” he says. “‘Listen, we’ve got like-minded goals. We’re trying to get the same thing done.’

“The borders on cities and states don’t mean anything. Those are man-made. At the end of the day, we’re trying to help kids. It doesn’t matter if you’re from Mass., Connecticut, Rhode Island. You could be from the West Coast, if you want help, we can help you.”

The Supreme Excel roster includes multiple prospects with high-level Division-I offers, including 2021 Connecticut defensive end Kechaun Bennett*, who has an offer from Notre Dame along with Michigan, Penn State, Miami and Nebraska among several others. 2021 Connecticut athlete Jeffrey Davis* has offers from Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee and Rutgers and visited Notre Dame back in November.

2023 Massachusetts quarterback Pop Watson* (pictured above) has early offers from Boston College and UMass and is receiving serious interest from schools like Ohio State and West Virginia among others. When basketball season wraps up, 2022 Massachusetts wide receiver Joseph Griffin* is expected to join the squad

https://medium.com/@christianmccollu...r-270dfeec954b

^The quarterback at Springfield Central won a state championship this year starting as a true freshman and received offers from Tennessee and a Boston College. And been on visits at Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech and others.

New England has begun to catch the eyes if football recruits and they have a kid to do with that. A bit onthat

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/h...outputType=amp

https://247sports.com/college/temple...-bed-73638579/

I don’t thInk CT football is ready to challenge NJ/PA comp yet, I definitely don’t think Mass. is ready. Central CT and the Catholic Conference/Independent School League in MA are the top colleagues in New England and they only produce 20-25 D1 recruits per year. Maybe they could play some NYS teams though.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yea.. Pittsfield and Springfield is a total different orbit than Eastern Ma. Until a few years ago Eastern Central and Western MA were all separated in the MIAA. Which really disadvantaged athletes in Worcester Springfield and Pittsfield. Looking to face tougher competition from back East. As a result they dipped into the Albany and Hartford areas more often. Recently Springfield Central was able to beat Everett for D1 State title which would have never happened during my era.

Two black guys from Hartford and Springfield have started an athlete training facility because they feel New England (black)) athletes get overlooked in football too often. One born and raised in Hartford and one born and raised in Springfield.

https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/12010...rtheast-on-map

Stack Williams and Bill Watson understand that top prospects in the New England are often considered to be big fish in a small pond, but they believe in the region’s talents and are actively seeking a larger body of water for their prospects to swim.

Williams has trained and advised Division-I talent as CEO of Supreme Athlete in Connecticut for years while Watson has done similar work coaching elite youth and high school squads for more than a decade in Massachusetts, including 7-on-7 teams under the Excel New England umbrella.

Williams and Watson have come together to form Supreme Excel, a 7-on-7 all-star team with players from both organizations.

“Essentially, we really want to give young people an opportunity to showcase their ability on a national level,” says Williams. “A lot of times the narratives around the Northeast has been ‘Terrible talent…Not really a hotbed.’

“We want to eliminate a lot of those thoughts and re-position and rebrand the ability up here. Giving these young people an opportunity to calibrate and sharpen each other’s skillset while going out there to introduce themselves to the world and show them what we’re about up here.”

Watson adds that exposure and future opportunities are key components.

“The mission is basically providing opportunities for youth in the New England area to get out and get some exposure, just trying to help kids get to college,” he says. “That’s the main goal of anything we’re attached to, exposure and trying to get kids to college. Understanding that you want to utilize sports for the bigger picture.”

About a decade ago, a mutual friend brought Watson down to Connecticut to see what Williams was doing on the 7-on-7 scene and he was impressed.

“You could tell they were doing the right things to help kids; not just physically, but mentally, understanding the process,” Watson recalls.

When their paths crossed again in the last year, Watson says “it just made sense” to join forces.

“It’s basically just seeing somebody doing the same thing you’re trying to get done in your area,” he says. “‘Listen, we’ve got like-minded goals. We’re trying to get the same thing done.’

“The borders on cities and states don’t mean anything. Those are man-made. At the end of the day, we’re trying to help kids. It doesn’t matter if you’re from Mass., Connecticut, Rhode Island. You could be from the West Coast, if you want help, we can help you.”

The Supreme Excel roster includes multiple prospects with high-level Division-I offers, including 2021 Connecticut defensive end Kechaun Bennett*, who has an offer from Notre Dame along with Michigan, Penn State, Miami and Nebraska among several others. 2021 Connecticut athlete Jeffrey Davis* has offers from Michigan, Penn State, Tennessee and Rutgers and visited Notre Dame back in November.

2023 Massachusetts quarterback Pop Watson* (pictured above) has early offers from Boston College and UMass and is receiving serious interest from schools like Ohio State and West Virginia among others. When basketball season wraps up, 2022 Massachusetts wide receiver Joseph Griffin* is expected to join the squad

https://medium.com/@christianmccollu...r-270dfeec954b

^The quarterback at Springfield Central won a state championship this year starting as a true freshman and received offers from Tennessee and a Boston College. And been on visits at Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech and others.

New England has begun to catch the eyes if football recruits and they have a kid to do with that. A bit onthat

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/h...outputType=amp

https://247sports.com/college/temple...-bed-73638579/

I don’t thInk CT football is ready to challenge NJ/PA comp yet, I definitely don’t think Mass. is ready. Central CT and the Catholic Conference/Independent School League in MA are the top colleagues in New England and they only produce 20-25 D1 recruits per year. Maybe they could play some NYS teams though.
Sounds similar to what is going on in Upstate NY. In the Syracuse area, former Syracuse point guard Billy Edelin(went to DeMatha outside of DC), has been working with some kids and a couple he has worked with are currently playing at Cincinnati and Marquette.

Surprisingly, NY has some pretty good Football programs like Rochester’s Aquinas Institute(went to OT with DC’s Friendship Collegiate 2 years ago without a top player), New Rochelle(Ray Rice went there, won state title this past season) Syracuse’s Christian Brothers Academy(had 4 players on FBS rosters last season, has been down a little bit though) and Freeport on Long Island, among others.

Actually, if you look through this thread, there is a bunch of information in regards to this topic in Upstate NY here(shows info from Fall 2019 on): https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...rican-185.html

Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
^Mass won’t compete in the same level of Football as NYS because some of the black people in MA prefer soccer. 3 of the black kids I went to High school with are in or were in the MLS (Toronto FC, Real Slat Lake and Atlanta United). None are in the NFL. Most of the top football recruits in MA are white. Basketball is a different story in terms of the quality and depth of recruits obviously.

Upstate strikes me as more a football area than basketball area for some reason. Idk why.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
^Mass won’t compete in the same level of Football as NYS because some of the black people in MA prefer soccer. 3 of the black kids I went to High school with are in or were in the MLS (Toronto FC, Real Slat Lake and Atlanta United). None are in the NFL. Most of the top football recruits in MA are white. Basketball is a different story in terms of the quality and depth of recruits obviously.

Upstate strikes me as more a football area than basketball area for some reason. Idk why.
Yeah, Upstate is more “blue collar”. So, we have had our share of guys go to the NFL.

Currently, Chandler Jones of the Arizona Cardinals(Union-Endicott, brother of Jon “Bones” Jones of UFC fame and Arthur, who was in the NFL), Latavius Murray of the New Orleans Saints(Onondaga Central), Dion Lewis of the NY Giants(grew up in Albany for most of his upbringing, Albany/Albany Academy), DaQuan Jones of the Tennessee Titans(Johnson City), Dave Fluellen of the Titans(Lockport), Damone Harris of the KC Chiefs(Buffalo’s Bishop Timon), Quadree Ollison(Buffalo’s Canisius/Niagara Falls) and Steven Means(Buffalo’s Grover Cleveland) both of the Atlanta Falcons are there now, with some retiring not too long ago or will be coming into the League. In general, Gronk(Williamsville North, except for senior year) may be the most well know Upstate NY guy in the NFL.

As for NBA, Andray Blatche(Syracuse’s Henninger HS) is the last NBA guy of note, but don’t be surprised if Isaiah Stewart(Rochester’s McQuaid Jesuit before transferring to LaLumiere) from Washington gets drafted. There may be others that get drafted or picked up on Free Agent contracts. From that same thread, here are some D1 Basketball references from Upstate NY: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...rican-199.html

I can only think of 1 guy that played in MLS and he retired recently: https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/josh-ford (Liverpool is a northern suburban area of Syracuse that has been one of the suburban areas that is relatively popular for black people moving to the suburbs in the area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City