Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 11:08 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I was thinking about the booming cities that are more popular with White professionals like Seattle, Austin, Denver, Portland, etc. Pittsburgh isn't quite in that category but it's close. Milwaukee is not.

That's pretty much consistent with most major cities I think.
Boston looks similar to those cities on paper on a metro level but from what I gather the racial dynamics are different. I wouldn’t say Seattle Austin Denver or Portland have a bad rep for black people aside from there not being many Black people there. It’s got the white hipster culture thing high COL but they’re largely devoid of high profile racial incidents like bussing or the Charles Stuart case. Boston has that rep of not having many blacks people but it just a lot blacker in its core area and the city itself that those places. So the politics are different.

I’m not sure cities like Seattle and Austin feel the need to address racial inequity to its boundaries, head on like Bsoton does. A few years during his re-election campaign ago the mayor held a series of town hall meetings across the city for folks to simply just talk about race and race relations in the city. He was getting 200+ people per event. A Boston mayor has to court the black vote aggressively because we make up a pretty large portion of the electorate, most of the transplants and college students don’t vote so the electorate become 30%+ Black

Boston has a significantly more entrenched and larger black population than those cities and I’m not sure the social dynamic or history is all that similar. I’m not sure if they have enough of an image problem or if they have enough black political clout to force some of these initiatives. So in a way it’s kind of a hybrid of the MIL/PITT and the SEA/DEN/POR thing I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes, but the overall increase mean non-foreign born blacks have also increased their numbers. I literally did the math for you.

Native born blacks in aggregate are not leaving Boston, there numbers are very clearly growing. Now this could be that there are just more 2nd and 3rd generation blacks there now, but still, they’re not leaving. We’ve seen what it looks like when native born blacks leave a la NYC DC Chicago LA. Say what you want about the city-but that’s not happened in Boston and the numbers bear that out

I would say most of the black foreign born in Boston are not Dominican or Brazilian-theyre considered mixed or Latin. Brazilians in Boston are more often white than Black.

The biggest black immigrant groups are (in order) Haiti, Cape Verde, Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad.
In YOUR link and what i have seen elsewhere as well it says exactly what I initially stated. So either the info in the link you posted is wrong or maybe you are reading it wrong. Thats why I copy pasted the exact comments, take it up with your source,not with me.
listed the top 10 groups from that link also. Why post a link if you are going to refute it?
Blacks arent leaving DC. Dont know where you got that from.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
This makes more sense really. I was always found in contradicting that people would say ATL is black mecca but their source always trace back to the entertainment industry. What about Tech, Finance, Art, Culinary and government jobs?

If I am a finance major I am choosing Chicago, NYC, and Charlotte as my top cities to grow in.

If I'm into chemical engineering I am choosing Texas

If I'm in the fashion I am going with LA and NYC easily.

I would however choose ATL for tech mainly because tech is quickly growing there and they have enough black people for me to see everyday while I'm at work. I would also choose ATL if i were an urban planner for more conscious reasoning's.

Black folks should really view cities this way so they have the most access to money and networks in their position. I know too many black folks who moved to cities more because of popularity than focusing on what the things that make them great.

Yep Black Tech capital they calling it now
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ta/2982120002/

Old 05-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
In YOUR link and what i have seen elsewhere as well it says exactly what I initially stated. So either the info in the link you posted is wrong or maybe you are reading it wrong. Thats why I copy pasted the exact comments, take it up with your source,not with me.
listed the top 10 groups from that link also. Why post a link if you are going to refute it?
Blacks arent leaving DC. Dont know where you got that from.

You gotta up your mathematics game big fella...

you copy and pasted this

•More than 90 percent of our
region’s net population growth
since 1990 has come from new
immigrants

the black
foreign-born share has almost
doubled since 1990 (from 21 to
38 percent).

right?

You understand the overall number of black people has increased not just immigrants? Immigrants account for a ton of our growth because white people left the region in droves.

I'll take it slow so you can follow... I'll use the 2016 estimates. Not the 2017 numbers I was moving off of earlier.

In 1990 Boston had 215,000 blacks.

21% of them were foreign born. Thats 45,150. That means 79% of them were native born blacks. 79% of 215,00 is 169,850.

In 1990 there were 169,850 native born blacks in Boston.
In 1990 there were 45,150 foreign-born blacks in Boston

In 2016 Boston had 340,000 black people. 37% of them are foreign born. 37% of 340,000 means there are now 125,800 foreign born blacks. 63% of them are native born. 63% of 373,000 is 214,200. THere are now 214,20000 native born black in Boston.

In 2016 there are 125,800 foreign born blacks in Boston.
In 2016 there are 214,200 native-born blacks in Boston.

There were 44,350 more native born black people in Boston circa 2016 than there were in 1990.

The reason so much growth came from immigrant is because 347,000 white people left the area and almost all of them were native born. So in order to grow by 530k we needed to add 877k people. 44k of whom are native born blacks. The other ~830k were latinos (+349k), asians (+256k), 'Other (+110k) and foreign born blacks (+80k). Another 4K native born non black people were added. This is literally outlined on page 10, figure 1.4 of the report and on page 31.

In short 350k white people left Greater Boston over 16 years and 875k minorities came in their place. 400k native born minorities came in-that accounts for 10% growth after accounting for white population loss.. another 475k were minority immigrants, that's the 90% growth.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-07-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 12:36 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Wrong, there is tension in certain parts of LA between Mexicans and blacks but these incidents of Mexicans targeting black families are as rare as the incidences of covert brutal racism in the rural South that spawned this conversation...

Let's not spread misinformation. The vast majority of blacks and Mexicans live amongst each other just fine, and when there is tension, it's almost always street crime/gangbanging and almost never happens anywhere where blacks have significant numbers (a quarter or more of the neighborhood population)...
You probably should tell the Black and Mexican transplants who move to Texas to stop spreading that bit of misinformation than. And I'm not saying the vast majority of Black and Brown people in LA are at odds with each other, maybe more common was the wrong usage but it does happen every now and then. And I have family in LA as well. I've been to LA several times. I'm real familiar with LA. I've never had any issues with Mexican people when I visited LA. Hell I encountered racism from White Cubans when I went to Miami the 3 days I was in town. I've never had that happen in LA. But when I have a co-worker who is Mexican tell me that the first time she was friends with a Black person was when she moved to Houston than that's saying something. And of course she grew up in a predominately Mexican neighborhood(mostly low income). I mean she's not the only Mexican American from Los Angeles who's stated if a Black person ever stepped in their hood it was going to be a problem.

Now I understand racial politics in low income communities stems from Prison politics which than spills over to gang politics but it does trickle down to civilians EVERY NOW AND THEN. It is primarily Gang related but let's not pretend it doesn't happen especially when it's mostly Black LA citizens making these claims of being racially targeted. But let me be clear if incidents like this does happen it's generally in low income areas. You should be perfectly fine if you don't venture off into low income areas especially ones that are predominately Mexican. Now if that statement is inaccurate, you need to talk to your LA folks for spreading it.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:36 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yep Black Tech capital they calling it now
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ta/2982120002/
Yasss! I love this!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
IK I’ll get flamed for this but here it goes..

https://www.theroot.com/after-graphi...ource=facebook

I first saw one of my Boston friends share this. Dude was jogging in South Georgia and two white homies hop out of a car and MURDER HIM. just two neighborhood white supremacists, not cops or anything.

How do people rationalize living in conservative southern areas when these violent acts against Black people virtually always occur there and only there (from all the atoms of stories I read..Dylan Roof, Jenna Six, Trayvon, that dude Dragged to his death by white supremacists back in like ‘98)

I don’t need a deflections bout well the north has segregation. This stuff happens too regularly in the south yet folks will continue to readily visit and sing it’s praises.. I want to know genuinely how does one cognitively distance from stories and images like this that happen all too often in the small town south? is it seriously like “they don’t like us we don’t like them so ik where I stand’ or is it something folks wish would change?

Again-note I’m making the distinction between Smal/rural south and big city south. Ik shariff can speak to this.
Wow alot of comments happen within 2 day span.

I would say the fella from East Texas hit the nail on the head. You used to live in Southaven and take that brief experience & expand to one's livelihood per say. Or better yet my experience, i haven't experienced nor seen white bigots run up and start scrappin or shootin on some random Black folks. This is coming from the so called ground zero racist state Mississippi. It's simply overblown in the present day and the equivalence how @BostonBornMassMade goes into paragraphs about Boston's racial history past vs present.

Take every single post BostonBornMassMade made about that subject and replace with a state instead & that's Mississippi in a nutshell. Political landscape going to look the same along ethnic lines generally : Conservative whites & Blacks ( rarely get mentioned in the rural south talk) going rock red & other side blue. Therefore every southern state is "plurality" red with blue "enclaves". Just want to remind readers about this & especially goes for the Sipp beyond the blue delta ( tons of blue cities & neighborhood wards here).

The daily life here is about generic as everywhere else in america. No white supremicist solo or groups is running up & down the streets of Roxbury, Englewood, Harlem, Bed-stuy, Crenshaw, 5th Ward, Orange Mound, Bankhead, etc Black neighborhoods to the severity in which Black militas bearing arms is needed for the average Black person. The same goes for these rural south communities. Your daily life isn't being infringed upon and when something happens it's generally some woofin. There's a reason why I'm always bringing up small town Black life, it's mostly good as long your in the careerfield of course. It might not be the urban lake liking to those grew up in a large cities but these urban ponds aren't terrible as well.

You'll have to live here for some months to get that understanding of being here.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:46 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
This makes more sense really. I was always found in contradicting that people would say ATL is black mecca but their source always trace back to the entertainment industry. What about Tech, Finance, Art, Culinary and government jobs?

If I am a finance major I am choosing Chicago, NYC, and Charlotte as my top cities to grow in.

If I'm into chemical engineering I am choosing Texas

If I'm in the fashion I am going with LA and NYC easily.

I would however choose ATL for tech mainly because tech is quickly growing there and they have enough black people for me to see everyday while I'm at work. I would also choose ATL if i were an urban planner for more conscious reasoning's.

Black folks should really view cities this way so they have the most access to money and networks in their position. I know too many black folks who moved to cities more because of popularity than focusing on what the things that make them great.
I agree with this. I notice the whole "moving to a city that's popular" trend tends to happen to younger Black people. Mostly single millennials. And I think that's pretty common among younger people in general. I just think it's probably even more emphasize amongst Black people because systemic racism being so prevalent in this country that we feel our options are limited in comparison to White counterparts.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Wow alot of comments happen within 2 day span.

I would say the fella from East Texas hit the nail on the head. You used to live in Southaven and take that brief experience & expand to one's livelihood per say. Or better yet my experience, i haven't experienced nor seen white bigots run up and start scrappin or shootin on some random Black folks. Thisis coming from the so called ground zero rascist state Sipp. It's sinply overblown in the present day and equivalence how BostonBornMassMade goes into paragraphs about Boston's racial history past v present.

Take every single post BostonBornMassMade made about that subject and replace with a state instead& that's Mississippi in a nutshell. Political landscape going to look the same along ethnic lines generally : Conservative whites & Blacks ( rarely get mentioned in the rural south talk) going rock red & other side blue. Therefore every southern state is "plurality" red with blue "enclaves". Just want to remind readers about this & especially goes for the Sipp beyond the blue delta ( tons of blue cities & neighborhood wards here).

The daily life here is about generic as everywhere else in america. No white supremicist solo or groups is running up & down the streets of Roxbury, Englewood, Harlem, Bed-stuy, Crenshaw, 5th Ward, Orange Mound, Bankhead, etc Black neighborhoods to the severity in which Black militas bearing arms is needed for the average Black person. The same goes for these rural south communities. Your daily life isn't being infringed upon and when something happens it's generally some woofin. There's a reason why I'm always bringing up small town Black life, it's mostly good as long your in the careerfield of course. It might not be the urban lake liking to those grew up in a large cities but these urban ponds aren't terrible as well.

You'll have to live here for some months to get that understanding of being here.
I always appreciate your perspective. I cant learn about racism in the small town south if i dont ask any questions. That's the whole point of this site yet people get offended or offput. I'm asking because I dont have any ties to that life and i know you'll do. When else am i going to get a chance to ask black people from the small town south some of their thoughts on things like this? If you know how the media portrays the south then why would it be surprising someone from Boston has questions?

People always say the south is the most culturally distinctive region of the US so i'm just asking around. Maybe one day ill be able to type about the south like i can New England, maybe not.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
why was Seattle included here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City