Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:03 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

How do people rationalize living in conservative southern areas when these violent acts against Black people virtually always occur there and only there (from all the atoms of stories I read..Dylan Roof, Jenna Six, Trayvon, that dude Dragged to his death by white supremacists back in like ‘98)

I don’t need a deflections bout well the north has segregation. This stuff happens too regularly in the south yet folks will continue to readily visit and sing it’s praises.. I want to know genuinely how does one cognitively distance from stories and images like this that happen all too often in the small town south? is it seriously like “they don’t like us we don’t like them so ik where I stand’ or is it something folks wish would change?

Again-note I’m making the distinction between Smal/rural south and big city south. Ik shariff can speak to this.
You know I think if one looks towards media they would be under the false assumption that these unfortunate situations "COMMONLY" happen in small southern town/cities. I'm not one to defend any racist act of any kind. But commonly? Common violent racist attacks in small southern cities?

Look I grew up in East Texas and every now and then even Black Dallasites and Houstonians will make sweeping generalizations about East Texas as being some hotbed for racism where Black people are under fear of Violent White supremacy and blacks are docile and just don't wreckless eye ball white people. LOL

And even some Black East Texans have sweeping generalizations about Black people in parts of Louisiana or a Mississippi and Alabama. So basically these violent incidents are not as common as the media would like for you to believe. Growing up in my city of about 81,000 people in the city proper in East Texas it was common to beat a white persons ass if they even fix their lips to say neighbor let along the N word.

I'm 35 years old and I recall when James Byrd got dragged in Jasper,TX(further south and more rural in East Texas). I was in middle school when that took place. Not once did any Black people I know of in my city of Longview (2 hrs and 15 mins from Jasper) fear White people because of that incident. We were not uncomfortable. Actually we invited the bull**** and dared any white racist to do something about it.

Bottom line violent acts in the south or rural/small city south are not as common as people think and it's more so subtle and structural racism that is more of a commonality in the south which happens everywhere in America.

I've never encountered a violent act of racism from a civilian while I lived in East Texas. That's not to say that somebody didn't encounter a violent act. But I couldn't recall it happening often. I can literally recall 2 incidents happening in my lifetime of an actual violent act. That's the James Byrd Jones incident and I believe a special needs kid who was tortured in a very rural area in East Texas by some white teenagers. These incidents happen probably 10 years apart from each other. And even then gun laws are looser here. We carry guns just like the racist do. So generally nobody want blatant problems like that.

Quote:
A former cop is a civilian he’s a CURRWNT white supremacist, with a friend who was never a cop. And yea it’s totally different when it’s not a cop. When it’s a cop there’s all types of power imbalances , excuses, protections, etc that Make this more common. I can’t think of any none cop examples of this sort of violence in the north or west in at last 25 years if not more.

People are not bombing black churches in Connecticut... or ordering black guys in cold blood in Washington. It just doesn’t happen.
You can't think of any? It just doesn't happen?

This literally just happened in St.Paul, Minn. An unarmed Black man murdered by White civilian because white civilian "feared" for his life.

https://m.startribune.com/murder-cha...der/570176802/

This is 05/04/20 outside the south. The reality of the situation is Hate crimes and by hate crimes I mean violent acts are on the rise all over America. Not just the south. Like I stated before just because it doesn't make national news doesn't mean it's not happening. Case and point.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/charg...nwood-beating/
This happened in 2018 in Washington. And this was done by 8 White supremacist. 3 members were from Oregon/ 2 were from Washington/ 1 was from Illinois/ 1 from North Carolina and 1 from Pittsburgh. Oh and the one from Pittsburgh owns a White power record label.

Also this happened in Spokane,Wash in 2011. White supremacist placed a bomb at MLK parade. Luckily it was discovered in time.
https://www.cnn.com/2011/12/20/justi...ing/index.html

This happened in Upstate New York in 2019.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...n-bus/1827919/

There's also Chicago
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...rimes-chicago/

This also happened in Los Angeles in 2014
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...405-story.html
And this is more common than people think in LA. It aint just Black gangs vs. Mexican gangs no it's Black families that get targeted by Meixcan gangs that have nothing to do with any gang.

Bottom line, Hate crimes and I mean VIOLENT Hate crimes are on the rise in AMERICA period. It's not just the south. And if Black Americans really think they'll be safe from a violent racist attack just because they don't live in rural south well bad news buddy it happens everywhere. Violent racist walk among us. These White supremacist are even in Canada too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 01:02 AM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I mean, he literally mentioned bussing in the first sentence. And then Celtics in the next. He mentions Larry bird was not a racist, and yea...This is exactly my point.

People have no modern frame of reference for Boston and it’s weird to me. Folks are literally talking about 45-35 years ago with Boston he does a whole article and then add it not like that anymore in the last two sentences with not further analysis.

-This author moved to Plymouth, MA at age 10 ..like he’s not even really a Bostonians he grew up 50 mile away in a town that’s 2% black.

-He mentions that non diverse suburbs when there are now two enormous suburbs that are 2x blacker than Boston. There are 20 or more diverse suburbs.

-Just off a quick read it was obvious he no longer resides in the Boston area. And he doesn’t he lives in DC. So this is exactly the word of mouth from people who left the area many decades ago. I was talking about.

-He mentions just 4 of the city’s 21 neighborhoods. What about the other 17 neighborhoods?

-Furthermore, I wasnt alive for literally anything he’s talking about. Most black Bostonians weren’t because they’re like 30 years old. I was born in 1993. Born into a city that had no bussing and sports teams that didn’t have Larry Bird playing.

-Black people don’t even live in Plymouth. This is a terrible attempt at explaining anything black and Boston. It uses a dude who last lived there literally 40 years ago.

This is just really bad. And doesn’t do anything to explain how a 390 year old city is dubbed the most racist in the country based off of bussing and basketball from 1975-1988. It a great city that attracts black and brown people and people in general from all over the world. It attracts the greatest minds in the world. But it’s got it in for Black people? Moreso than any other city? Doesn’t add up to me. Everyone of all these far flung places and culture can enjoy the city but Black Americans? Even though it elects many Black Americans to public office?
What can I say...negative reputations can be hard things to shake.

You think Boston has it bad but poor Birmingham...

Old 05-07-2020, 01:07 AM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know I think if one looks towards media they would be under the false assumption that these unfortunate situations "COMMONLY" happen in small southern town/cities. I'm not one to defend any racist act of any kind. But commonly? Common violent racist attacks in small southern cities?

Look I grew up in East Texas and every now and then even Black Dallasites and Houstonians will make sweeping generalizations about East Texas as being some hotbed for racism where Black people are under fear of Violent White supremacy and blacks are docile and just don't wreckless eye ball white people. LOL

And even some Black East Texans have sweeping generalizations about Black people in parts of Louisiana or a Mississippi and Alabama. So basically these violent incidents are not as common as the media would like for you to believe. Growing up in my city of about 81,000 people in the city proper in East Texas it was common to beat a white persons ass if they even fix their lips to say neighbor let along the N word.

I'm 35 years old and I recall when James Byrd got dragged in Jasper,TX(further south and more rural in East Texas). I was in middle school when that took place. Not once did any Black people I know of in my city of Longview (2 hrs and 15 mins from Jasper) fear White people because of that incident. We were not uncomfortable. Actually we invited the bull**** and dared any white racist to do something about it.

Bottom line violent acts in the south or rural/small city south are not as common as people think and it's more so subtle and structural racism that is more of a commonality in the south which happens everywhere in America.

I've never encountered a violent act of racism from a civilian while I lived in East Texas. That's not to say that somebody didn't encounter a violent act. But I couldn't recall it happening often. I can literally recall 2 incidents happening in my lifetime of an actual violent act. That's the James Byrd Jones incident and I believe a special needs kid who was tortured in a very rural area in East Texas by some white teenagers. These incidents happen probably 10 years apart from each other. And even then gun laws are looser here. We carry guns just like the racist do. So generally nobody want blatant problems like that.

This literally just happened in St.Paul, Minn. An unarmed Black man murdered by White civilian because white civilian "feared" for his life.

This is 05/04/20 outside the south. The reality of the situation is Hate crimes and by hate crimes I mean violent acts are on the rise all over America. Not just the south. Like I stated before just because it doesn't make national news doesn't mean it's not happening. Case and point.

This happened in 2018 in Washington. And this was done by 8 White supremacist. 3 members were from Oregon/ 2 were from Washington/ 1 was from Illinois/ 1 from North Carolina and 1 from Pittsburgh. Oh and the one from Pittsburgh owns a White power record label.

Also this happened in Spokane,Wash in 2011. White supremacist placed a bomb at MLK parade. Luckily it was discovered in time.

There's also Chicago

And this is more common than people think in LA. It aint just Black gangs vs. Mexican gangs no it's Black families that get targeted by Meixcan gangs that have nothing to do with any gang.

Bottom line, Hate crimes and I mean VIOLENT Hate crimes are on the rise in AMERICA period. It's not just the south. And if Black Americans really think they'll be safe from a violent racist attack just because they don't live in rural south well bad news buddy it happens everywhere. Violent racist walk among us. These White supremacist are even in Canada too.
And there ya go.

As I stated, I was born and raised in rural SC and recently went back to live in my hometown for nearly two years, my first time doing so as an adult. Not once have I ever feared anything like this happening to me and I never had a reason to believe it was probable.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:16 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Wrong, there is tension in certain parts of LA between Mexicans and blacks but these incidents of Mexicans targeting black families are as rare as the incidences of covert brutal racism in the rural South that spawned this conversation...

Let's not spread misinformation. The vast majority of blacks and Mexicans live amongst each other just fine, and when there is tension, it's almost always street crime/gangbanging and almost never happens anywhere where blacks have significant numbers (a quarter or more of the neighborhood population)...

Old 05-07-2020, 05:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
A former cop is a civilian he’s a CURRWNT white supremacist, with a friend who was never a cop. And yea it’s totally different when it’s not a cop. When it’s a cop there’s all types of power imbalances , excuses, protections, etc that Make this more common. I can’t think of any none cop examples of this sort of violence in the north or west in at last 25 years if not more.

People are not bombing black churches in Connecticut... or ordering black guys in cold blood in Washington. It just doesn’t happen.
These incidents tend to be rural no matter where they are. Even in the South. You dont have a larger black population in smaller less urban areas out of the South so why would you see thse on small town CT?

Again you dont see these incidents in big cities in the South either.You do see them all the time up North in the cities.In NYC in the 80's you had neighborhoods where black teens were chased down in a white neighborhood and killed by a white teens.

Quote:
“I don’t think he should get a pardon,” Kristyn Atwood, 38, of Decatur, Ga., told the Associated Press. She was a Boston fourth grader on a field trip to the beach when Wahlberg and his partners-in-crime threw rocks and yelled racial epithets, including the n-word, at her and her classmates.
That was about Mark Walbergh

I cant think of any type of violence in a big Southern city since at least the 60s of course.
Here is the most recent data I could find but Massachusstes is 7th for states with most hate crimes reported
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-motivation/

Georgia is 33rd.
There obviosuly something going on in Boston for people to have a perception of racism.

There simply has to be a reason why even people who live in Boston ask the question or has the perception Boston is racist. I did Uber years ago and I met a 30 something year old black male professional Software engineer.He grew up in Boston all his life. He was in Atlanta for a vacation and was blown away.
He had never been but always wanted to go. He said in his own words Boston was racist and blacks do not visibly do well there like they do in Atlanta.

Im just saying something Boston has been doing or not doing is causing people to not let this go.What has Boston done to make itself more appealing to blacks?Why arent more staying?Why arent more attracted to it?
Why are places other than Atlanta dont have that reputation?Charlotte,Seattle,Phoenix,Chicago,Houst on etc? When you have an overwhelming majority say something,then it may not be fully true but there is truth there somewhere.

I am from a small Southern town also bit I grew up closer with white people more than what ive seen lving in Northern cities.In these rural towns we know each other. We know each others families. Im not sayong there arent underlying racial issues as there are but overall relations between blacks and whites are far better tahn what i see overall outside the South

Old 05-07-2020, 05:40 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
These incidents tend to be rural no matter where they are. Even in the South. You dont have a larger black population in smaller less urban areas out of the South so why would you see thse on small town CT?

Again you dont see these incidents in big cities in the South either.You do see them all the time up North in the cities.In NYC in the 80's you had neighborhoods where black teens were chased down in a white neighborhood and killed by a white teens.

That was about Mark Walbergh

I cant think of any type of violence in a big Southern city since at least the 60s of course.
Here is the most recent data I could find but Massachusstes is 7th for states with most hate crimes reported
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-motivation/

Georgia is 33rd.
There obviosuly something going on in Boston for people to have a perception of racism.

There simply has to be a reason why even people who live in Boston ask the question or has the perception Boston is racist. I did Uber years ago and I met a 30 something year old black male professional Software engineer.He grew up in Boston all his life. He was in Atlanta for a vacation and was blown away.
He had never been but always wanted to go. He said in his own words Boston was racist and blacks do not visibly do well there like they do in Atlanta.

Im just saying something Boston has been doing or not doing is causing people to not let this go.What has Boston done to make itself more appealing to blacks?Why arent more staying?Why arent more attracted to it?
Why are places other than Atlanta dont have that reputation?Charlotte,Seattle,Phoenix,Chicago,Houst on etc? When you have an overwhelming majority say something,then it may not be fully true but there is truth there somewhere.

I am from a small Southern town also bit I grew up closer with white people more than what ive seen lving in Northern cities.In these rural towns we know each other. We know each others families. Im not sayong there arent underlying racial issues as there are but overall relations between blacks and whites are far better tahn what i see overall outside the South
The thing is, blacks are staying and growing- at the fastest clip in the North. There are 160k more black people in Mass than in 2000. And 18k more in Boston itself.

There’s definitely truth to it yea but it’s definitely not a topic of conversation with people I still talk to in Boston. If it were as bad as purported you would think Boston would post a decline in black population or at least be stagnant. And by far most of the black professional class in Boston is not from Boston originally, usually other places in the northeast. Boston focuses on being livable not fun and for some people that’s not ENJOYABLE.

And people who relocate to Boston usually do so in the height of their career not as young black people. This is because while Boston is very collegiate people out grow that social scene by age 25. Until about 15 years ago Bsoton had a really really hard time retaining young educated people of any race-let alone black. People came, had a good time in college, and departed somewhere warmer or with better nightlife and a cheaper housing. Add to that a negative perception of racism and its DOA. Only recently with Tech have the wages become high enough to entice people to stay after college or choose Boston over someplace more welcoming. Boston is Boring it’s the biggest gripe about Boston along with COL and traffic. Again that crosses racial lines. So if your successful young and raised in Boston you might wanna explore your options. Massachusetts is a large loser of its domestic population regardless of race. The state has lost about 500k white people since 1990.

I feel like Boston cannot and should not be compared to ATL DMV Houston for black succes-that’s not even comparable or fair.

Mark Wahlberg is 100% a racist. And a thug, and I let people know. He was a whole entire gang member with 19 criminal infractions/arrest by age 22. He’s an interesting case. Openly racist as a teen. Grew up in a neighborhood that was going from white to diverse very quickly. He went to a very black high school but never graduated. His brother ‘Donnie D’ was bussed to a black Roxbury High School and got expelled for frequent fights. A friend of mine said he beat up her father in High School. Donnie Went in to form new Kids in the Block with a bunch of white kids from a catholic high school in a white neighborhood, copycat ting New Edition. Marky Mark forms the Funky Bunch a rap group with a bunch of black guys from Roxbury. He ends up in full all black adidas gang attire ion Arsenio and Jay Leno just 6 years after assaulting black and asian people in his neighborhood.

To make itself more attractive it’s established a diversity and inclusion office, released 75 free liquor licenses deeded time black/diverse neighborhoods to benefit black restaurant eyes. It’s courted minority-oriented coworking spaces, dramatically cleaned and improved black neighborhoods, established an office of economic resilience, they aggressively courted the NAACP for this years 2020 national conference (it’s been postponed), they have a minimum threshold for minority contracts with the city, several lending programs specifically for minority entrepreneurs. The number one thing you’ll always hear in regards to race and hiring non Boston is that companies want to hire more Black people but they really struggle to attract and retain black people to Boston. But it’s not that folks can’t get a job. But if black folks won’t come then other black folks will feel more compelled to leave and then the cycle is endless

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-07-2020 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What can I say...negative reputations can be hard things to shake.

You think Boston has it bad but poor Birmingham...
I only think of Birmingham as kind of that belty. Not racist. I just can’t and don’t assume it the same as the 1960s. Most of these people doing racist acts in the 1960s and 1970s are like 70 years old right now

Old 05-07-2020, 06:04 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Southeast DC is not a dump. The Hillcrest neighborhood in Southeast DC is one of the most prominent black upper class neighborhoods in the city. It's known as the Silver Coast and is located in Ward 7 across the river along Pennsylvania Avenue SE and Branch Avenue SE. Many DC mayor's have lived there and homes go for $600,000 - $1,000,000.

Hillcrest SE DC Neighborhood (Ward 7)

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #1

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #2

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #3

Hillcrest SE DC (Ward 7) #4
Good information shared. I love articles like these.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:

There's also Chicago

I stand corrected. Media bias definitely plays a role. Broadcasting these incidents from the south will likely gain more national traction and “I told ya so’s” than in Spokane. But it could also be there just isn’t enough a black community in some of these more northern places that can coalesce and raise the alarm on a national level.

I 500% agree that race relations -in general- seem better in the south. I think there’s more shared culture and unity than in the north for the most part. But people in the south definitely always tell you”I like knowing where I stand with people “ in regards to racism. I often hear people who are racist are more openly racist in the south whereas the north is more subtle. So I was asking to see how true that is and what’s that feel like but I think I’ve got some good answers at this point. It’s a tragic incident and I don’t wanna take away from the seriousness of it.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
The thing is, blacks are staying and growing- at the fastest clip in the North. There are 160k more black people in Mass than in 2000. And 18k more in Boston itself.

There’s definitely truth to it yea but it’s definitely not a topic of conversation with people I still talk to in Boston. If it were as bad as purported you would think Boston would post a decline in black population or at least be stagnant. And by far most of the black professional class in Boston is not from Boston originally, usually other places in the northeast. Boston focuses on being livable not fun and for some people that’s not ENJOYABLE.

And people who relocate to Boston usually do so in the height of their career not as young black people. This is because while Boston is very collegiate people out grow that social scene by age 25. Until about 15 years ago Bsoton had a really really hard time retaining young educated people of any race-let alone black. People came, had a good time in college, and departed somewhere warmer or with better nightlife and a cheaper housing. Add to that a negative perception of racism and its DOA. Only recently with Tech have the wages become high enough to entice people to stay after college or choose Boston over someplace more welcoming. Boston is Boring it’s the biggest gripe about Boston along with COL and traffic. Again that crosses racial lines. So if your successful young and raised in Boston you might wanna explore your options. Massachusetts is a large loser of its domestic population regardless of race. The state has lost about 500k white people since 1990.

I feel like Boston cannot and should not be compared to ATL DMV Houston for black succes-that’s not even comparable or fair.

Mark Wahlberg is 100% a racist. And a thug, and I let people know. He was a whole entire gang member with 19 criminal infractions/arrest by age 22. He’s an interesting case. Openly racist as a teen. Grew up in a neighborhood that was going from white to diverse very quickly. He went to a very black high school but never graduated. His brother ‘Donnie D’ was bussed to a black Roxbury High School and got expelled for frequent fights. A friend of mine said he beat up her father in High School. Donnie Went in to form new Kids in the Block with a bunch of white kids from a catholic high school in a white neighborhood, copycat ting New Edition. Marky Mark forms the Funky Bunch a rap group with a bunch of black guys from Roxbury. He ends up in full all black adidas gang attire ion Arsenio and Jay Leno just 6 years after assaulting black and asian people in his neighborhood.

To make itself more attractive it’s established a diversity and inclusion office, released 75 free liquor licenses deeded time black/diverse neighborhoods to benefit black restaurant eyes. It’s courted minority-oriented coworking spaces, dramatically cleaned and improved black neighborhoods, established an office of economic resilience, they aggressively courted the NAACP for this years 2020 national conference (it’s been postponed), they have a minimum threshold for minority contracts with the city, several lending programs specifically for minority entrepreneurs. The number one thing you’ll always hear in regards to race and hiring non Boston is that companies want to hire more Black people but they really struggle to attract and retain black people to Boston. But it’s not that folks can’t get a job. But if black folks won’t come then other black folks will feel more compelled to leave and then the cycle is endless
The black population growth is largely from immigration.Not blacks moving to Boston,In fact much of Bostons growth comes from immigration overall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City